Frequent Contributor

Are the seasonals considered to be high in protein? Can daily cleansing be bad for your hair?

I mainly use the seasonals and while I tried the fig (got the TSV) it was too heavy.

My hair has been acting funny since using the fig last week but we also have been having some of the rainiest, hot, humid days. My hair has been flatter in the areas closest to my scalp but other areas are poofy. I was cleansing almost daily (due to working out a lot) so I put some FGP oil in my hair and later cleansed with Deva nopoo and it helped.

While I prefer not to cleanse daily, can that possibly be damaging? I don't use any heat in my hair. Are my bad hair days due to the weather, the seasonals, time for a trim, buildup from Wen or Deva, too much cleansing? I was using a little of the CC as a leave in before using my styling cream but I am thinking of cutting that step.

Do I need more protein in addition to the seasonals?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another protein question

613 is highest in protein, then the seasonals. A sign that you need protein is mushy, soft hair.

Cleansing daily with Wen won't damage your hair, per Chaz's instructions. On the other hand, you could overcondition your hair or give it protein overload depending on the formula you use.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I do daily cleansing with the seasonals all the time, and HB's right, you have to be hyper-vigilant about protein overload because it can happen fairly quickly if your hair is sensitive to protein.

The uneven texture you're describing is exactly the same issue my hair develops when it lacks protein - I just use 613 for a consecutive week and then my hair goes back to normal (my hair loves protein so while most could probably get their protein fix with seasonals, I have to get mine with something a little more heavy-duty).

Honored Contributor

If you google protein vs moisture hair test, you can test your hair to see where your hair is at.

If I use too much protein, my hair feels dry and brittle. I can use some of the seasonals- SMC and SHP- but they also contain a good amount of moisture from coconut oil (SMC) and honey (SHP) so it balances out the protein (amino acids, technically) it contains. I don't know if my results of dry hair with some of the other seasonals is solely due to the other ingredients it contains that can be drying (higher amounts of citrus extracts, for example) or the fact that there isn't much in the way of good moisturizing ingredients to help counterbalance the protein in them.

Anyway, once you figure out what your hair needs (your hairstylist should be able to help you out with this as well- mine always say go easy on the protein, your hair needs more moisture), you will be better able to assess if you need more protein or moisture or a good mix of both.

Frequent Contributor

This is so helpful, thanks everyone! It makes so much sense now. I think I have too much moisture and need some protein. I even did the strand test and and the results were consistent with having too much moisture. It makes sense that the fig didn't work for my hair, it was too moisturizing.

Everything I read and even my hairstylist says that curly hair craves moisture and I should deep condition regularly. I bought the fig TSV for that purpose but I don't think I need all that. I don't use any chemicals or heat. I am going to stick with the oils on occasion instead of deep conditioning and also try the 613. I can then rotate my seasonals and maybe even fig in the winter.

Thanks to all of you for the help!!

Esteemed Contributor

Doherty, when stylists tell us that our curls crave moisture, they forget to tell us to balance it out with protein. You have to find that balance; like everyone Ry and HD said, your hair will give you signs when you need one or the other.

Honored Contributor

Hello WEN Friends,

My hair is really peeved about something, it is in a snit, and not speaking to me. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Is there a hair psychic hot line? My SIL called one for one of her cats a few times. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

I'm off to google protein vs moisture.

Thanks! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Drythe said:

Hello WEN Friends,

My hair is really peeved about something, it is in a snit, and not speaking to me. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Is there a hair psychic hot line? My SIL called one for one of her cats a few times. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

I'm off to google protein vs moisture.

Thanks! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Drythe, sorry! I know it is frustrating. My hair had a snit about a year ago I think it was too. It had gotten really weird- dry, curlier, super curly underneath even, etc. I was so frustrated and confused by what was happening! I think I narrowed it down to not being able to use TT every time. I think over time it was just too much for my hair. Once I stopped TT CC, my hair gradually improved (although I am sure I could use it once in awhile and be fine but didn't want to take the chance) and now it is back to normal pretty much- a bit more persnickety than it use to be but I think that is hormone related (good grief). I still do my TT oil (original TT oil) about every 3-4 cleanses on my scalp. Now the only "complaint" I have, and it isn't really a complaint, is I have more hair than ever! My hair is so thick and heavy now, it is mind boggling! Again, not complaining but who knows what the heck is going on! lol!

I hope you can figure out your issue soon!

ETA: I did want to say that SHP has regulated my hair so perfectly these days though- i have not had a single bad hair day since using it. It really is perfect for my hair and so thankful to have it!

Esteemed Contributor

Drythe, I am so sorry!

It's amazing that our hair will gently whisper to us, but we don't listen until it has a hissy fit.

My fingers are still crossed for your 613 oil!