Esteemed Contributor

I opened my app after an update and saw a message about fraud associated with Chase accounts. This was the first I've heard of it (nothing in the media).

If you have a Chase card, log on or call them to find out what's going on.

And, as always, with any account, do regular checks to make sure there are no unauthorized charges.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Trusted Contributor

I got this message, too, when I logged in to check my balance.

I don't have a credit card with them, but I do have a checking account there. I never write checks, but, I have a debit card. This is actually more of a secondary account for me, I use it primarily, if i'm traveling. I'll keep an eye on it, and no, I haven't heard anything on the news, either.

Honored Contributor

My account is still open with them but have not used the card in years. I'm surprised they have not closed the account.

Esteemed Contributor

The Target and Home Depot credit cards frauds made national news. eBay and Michael's didn't. And now Chase.

I wonder what other companies?

Chase didn't give details of what happened; they just said it was a cyber attack and they have not detected any fraudulent activities.

Honored Contributor

Hi, HoneyBrown.

There have been numerous articles over the past few weeks. Here are a few samples:

August 27, 2014: JPMorgan and Other Banks Struck by Hackers

August 28, 2014: Cyberattack Against JPMorgan Chase, Other Banks Might Have Left Accounts Compromised

and Chase confirmed it a few days ago:

September 12, 2014: After Breach, JPMorgan Still Seeks to Determine Extent of Attack

September 15, 2014: JPMorgan Chase Confirms Cyber-Attack

It's great that you posted a heads-up for everyone. Unfortunately, these security breaches will continue and everyone needs to be vigilant.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

dooB, thank you for the articles! I didn't see any in the major newspapers where I live.

I keep my balance at 0, so had I not opened the app due to an update, I wonder how long before I would have heard.

Super Contributor

Chase is pretty good about these issues. When Target's cyber attack happened last Christmas, they sent me an email almost immediately and said they were sending me a new card with a different account number (I had bought some things at Target during that timeframe).

Contributor

I've received emails on all three of my addys telling me to log in through it to access my Chase account and update my username and password. I don't have a Chase account. I forwarded all emails to abuse@chase.com.

All banks will issue a security alert when they are part of a phishing scheme, which this appears to be.

Honored Contributor
On 9/17/2014 HonnyBrown said:

dooB, thank you for the articles! I didn't see any in the major newspapers where I live.

I keep my balance at 0, so had I not opened the app due to an update, I wonder how long before I would have heard.

You're welcome, HonnyBrown! These security breaches are all too frequent now, aren't they. And it's worrisome that some companies have a longer lag time before announcing or confirming.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova