Frequent Contributor

What do you ladies do to make your 2nd day hair look just as amazing as day one? I wake up day 2 and my hair is a hot mess and I end up throwing it up in a ponytail. I'd like to be able to wear it down. Day one I usually let it air dry or blow dry it straight and by the end of the day it is either half up or in a ponytail. Thanks in advance for your help.

Esteemed Contributor
No help from me. I am also in a ponytail on my second day, and even at the end of day one. Nothing seems to help me on day two.
Super Contributor
What is the reason for not good 2nd day hair? Oily? Dry? Frizzy? Maybe a change in your cc would make a difference, but need to know what the problem is.
Valued Contributor
I may be the odd one out, I like my second day hair better than day 1. On the second day I do what Chaz says not to do, sorry Chaz. I re-wet my hair, put a little bit of CC as a leave in again, SC with 5-6 sprays of the VTS mixed in then the mousse. I know Chaz says if you are you g to wet your hair then you should cleanse it but I really get great results this way.
Love my Wen, Love my Animals! God Bless You All!
Frequent Contributor

It is flat and lifeless and by the end of day 2 it gets oily. I use TT for first cleanse and BGT for my 2nd. I put a quarter to a half pump (from 32 oz bottle) of BGT as leave in and a pump of SAM styling creme on wet hair after I cleanse. My hair is shoulder length and on the thin side, but not super thin.

Honored Contributor

I used to have to cleanse daily - had been doing that since my jr. high days, and I'm a long way away from those days. No matter what I used, it didn't make a difference until I began using the oils. Doing overnight oil treatments on my scalp a few nights a week made all the difference in normalizing my natural oil production. Does my hair look as great on Day Two as freshly cleanse and styled hair? No, but it's a lot better than it used to be. I have to hit it with a little dry shampoo or root powder, but I don't find that to be inconvenient.

Respected Contributor

I just can't "do" 2nd day hair. My hair does not "sleep" well most nights and it's not long enough (nor will I ever grow it that long again) for any kind of updo. It's a chin-length bob. If I just wet my hair and re-style it, it looks/feels not quite clean--to me, anyway.

What I choose to do is cleanse every day, but I usually just do one cleanse using 1/2 the recommended pumps. This is working very well for me. Once or twice a week, I'll do the full routine of cleanse, rinse, repeat.

Frequent Contributor

I heat style my hair {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.blushing}. It usually looks good on day one (I curl it using my Chi flat iron), but at night I put it up in a donut bun and the volume and curl/wave I have the next day is even better.

Respected Contributor

This is one of the ways that being a curly girl has its benefits. My second day hair is super easy: a few spritz of Replenishing Treatment Mist and run my fingers through to wake up the curls and tame bed head. It is a slightly curlier look than day one but I enjoy it just the same.

Super Contributor
On 9/2/2014 MommyL said:

It is flat and lifeless and by the end of day 2 it gets oily. I use TT for first cleanse and BGT for my 2nd. I put a quarter to a half pump (from 32 oz bottle) of BGT as leave in and a pump of SAM styling creme on wet hair after I cleanse. My hair is shoulder length and on the thin side, but not super thin.

If you're getting oily by the end of the first day, make sure you are using enough cleanser and adding a splash of water to your cleanser as you work it in, enough until you feel the consistency change from a cream to a froth. One WENner described it as "blooming" - you will know when it becomes frothy. That's when it really starts working on your scalp and makes it easier to rinse off. Also, use a WEN comb or a smooth wide tooth comb to comb through your hair as you rinse, that helps get everything off your scalp.

Try using a little less leave in and styling crème and make sure you put it on your ends first and work up just to mid shaft - don't get any on your scalp. Chaz calls it your "ponytail" section. Also, as vermint stated, you may need to cleanse daily, at least for a while. I had extremely oily hair when I first started using WEN. I cleansed daily for a while until I saw the oil production diminishing. When you were using shampoo, you were stripping all the oil from your scalp and your oil glands were over compensating by producing more oil. It takes a while for your scalp to calm down and for the oil glands to be reset to normal production. Some people have a naturally oily scalp and it may take longer.

Play around with the amounts and even the order of your cleansing conditioners to see what works best for you.