Frequent Contributor

Can someone explain the difference in Wen (if there is any difference) if I buy it from QVC, Chaz Dean, or the Guthy Renker Wen site? I thought Guthy Renker was just a distributor, like QVC and that Chaz Dean's website is like buying directly through him. I sometimes buy products (usually the oils) on the Chaz Dean website.

I am noticing threads in which posters state that the products are formulated differently for different distributors. I want to ensure that I get a consistent product but usually do buy through QVC since they seem to have better deals.

Honored Contributor

If you compare the ingredients of the Sephora version, GR version and QVC/Chazdean.com version, they are slightly different, even the SC and remoist are different I think? I don't know why and haven't really heard anyone complain about the difference in terms of performance at least not for the CCs but I think some say they prefer GR over the QVC/chadean version of the SC and/or remoist or vice versa. You can do a search on the WEN forum for this topic as it has been discussed a multitude of times and maybe there is more information in those threads that can answer your questions.

Super Contributor

I actually started using Wen after buying the Sephora "Wen Healthy Hair Kit," and it was pretty mediocre.

So mediocre, in fact, that I'm not really sure what drove me to continue using Wen, but hey, I'm not complaining {#emotions_dlg.blush}

I still have the packaging from my Sephora Wen products, a few GR products, a CC from Chaz's site, and of course the stuff I get on the Q; it actually looks like there are THREE different formulations, not two. The Sephora version looks similar to the ingredient makeup of GR BUT the quality deteriorates as you go further down the ingredient deck.

On the CC, the first three ingredients are different for all three distributors; QVC/Chaz's site have the formula sold in Chaz's salon, GR has a formula that is close to QVC's but slightly different, and Sephora has a completely different formula that is entirely reliant upon alcohol.

The RTM is the same kind of thing, and all three have different formulations, and yet again, Sephora's is reliant upon alcohol, albeit a "moisturizing" type of alcohol.

The ReMoist is the big kicker though - the ingredients are pretty much the same for GR and QVC; Sephora's version, however, is absent of many of the ingredients that make the RM worthwhile and is instead packed with fillers.

Having used the GR, QVC, and Sephora products, I can say without hesitation that you will NOT be getting the Wen we know and love if you buy it from Sephora.

Like I said, the results were mediocre, as in not great but not terrible, and I just had a gut feeling this was not the fantastic Wen I had heard about, so I looked elsewhere, found Wen on the Q, and never looked back.

The Wen at Sephora is a good "starting point" for Wen, if you will. For those who have never used Wen and don't know what to expect, they won't be able to tell the difference between the real deal and the Sephora version.

You will be sorely disappointed should you choose to fall back on Sephora's version of Wen when you don't have the time to wait for a shipment from QVC or GR, especially now that you know what quality to expect from Wen. For me, Sephora left me yearning for better results; the results I got from QVC and GR were in stark contrast, for the better, from those with Sephora.

You're pretty much gonna get the same Wen quality from GR as you will from QVC, though, so if you're looking for consistency stick with these two distributors.

Hope this helps! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor
Thank you Ryleigh! That was a great post! Very informative.
Love my Wen, Love my Animals! God Bless You All!
Super Contributor
Yes, thank you! Wow. I had no idea....it just never occurred to me that the formulas would not be the same. Even if slightly. Thanks so much. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I thought that Philosophy's Amazing Grace lost most of the smell about 2 to 3 years ago. I have bought it for many years.

I went to Ulta to see if their's was stronger. I didn't notice a difference. I STILL think it is stronger at Ulta though.

Respected Contributor

Chaz had to reformulate the products to match international customs and to match a price point for GR to manufacture WEN on a large scale for the informercial, international and now they have branched out into Sephora. Thanks Ryleigh for explaining that the ingredient deck changed even more for Sephora. I haven't had a reason to check it out, so I haven't. I like GR SAM much better, so I will have to get it from Amazon rather than picking it up from Sephora.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor
On 9/1/2014 KippyK3 said: Yes, thank you! Wow. I had no idea....it just never occurred to me that the formulas would not be the same. Even if slightly. Thanks so much. Smiley Happy

No problem! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

The thing that slays me about Wen at Sephora is that it's actually MORE expensive for LESS quality - when I looked at the prices on the Q and the ingredient deck in comparison it was kind of shocking!

Interestingly enough, though, I don't regret buying my first Wen from Sephora - I got mediocre results, yes, but I knew there were better results to be had and Sephora allowed me a great return policy and the ease of picking the product up at the mall down the street, all while determining whether or not Wen was worth investing in.

Silver linings I guess {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

I am trying to think logically about this.

WHY would Chaz release inferior products?

His name is on ALL the formulas - I can't believe that he would sell anything less than 100% the best...everywhere.

I think favoring one over another is more perception than reality or results.

Super Contributor
On 9/1/2014 terrier3 said:

I am trying to think logically about this.

WHY would Chaz release inferior products?

His name is on ALL the formulas - I can't believe that he would sell anything less than 100% the best...everywhere.

I think favoring one over another is more perception than reality or results.

I completely understand where you're coming from - Chaz is a great guy, and he's all about quality.

However, it's a known fact that the ingredient decks are different across the distributors.

This particular thread is a little different than the typical GR vs. Sephora vs. QVC threads in that it's not focusing on performance or favoritism, however - everything I stated came straight off the bottles, not my perception.

But I guess if you want to talk about performance, inferior is a strong word - all Wen performs nicely...some of versions of it just perform more nicely than other versions.