Honored Contributor

What was your hair like BEFORE WEN????

I see so many posters who say that it totally changed the texture & quality of their hair.

I like WEN, but I haven't noticed many changes.

My hair wasn't overprocessed, curly or frizzy to start with. I color the gray every 6 weeks with Aveda products and blow dry for about 5 minutes a day (at most). I have a Jennifer Lawrence type pixie style now and it's a snap to style.

Do a lot of WENNERS bleach and overprocess their hair? Do you use a lot of hot rollers, curling irons, etc.?

I think you would have to have really terrible hair to notice such a huge difference...

Regular Contributor

Re: What was your hair like BEFORE WEN????

My hair was over processed and had significant heat damage.. My curly cork screw like hair was curly for the first two inches and then "swavy"' type curls.. Always frizzy, breaking and unmanageable, so yes after 5 years I can honestly say that my hair has changed dramatically.
Super Contributor

My hair is naturally very dry, coarse, and wavy. I don't color my hair or use any heat styling tools besides an occasional flat iron.

But yes, I absolutely see a difference in the moisture and manageability of my hair.

Valued Contributor

My entire family uses Wen.

Take my husband for example. He has never colored his hair, only uses a blow dryer for probably 3 minutes to dry his hair and regularly gets cuts every 4 weeks. That being said, HE will tell everyone how much better his hair is now that he uses Wen. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

I've used Wen for well over two years. Prior to using Wen, I did not have "really terrible hair", but there has been a noticeable improvement in the health of my hair since I started using Wen exclusively.

For years now, I have grown my hair long (but got regular trims to remove split ends) to donate it to Locks of Love (more recently other hair donation organizations). Typically, when my hair would get below my bra strap, I would cut it off into a very short bob. When my hair was long, the ends were always rough, dry and I constantly had split ends. My roots were always oily and I had to shampoo every day. No exceptions. My hair didn't tangle a lot, but it did tangle. I didn't have a lot of volume, it was just long and straight. (And yes, I used high quality, salon products.)

After I started using Wen, I was able to start skipping a day of cleansing (not immediately, probably too a few months). Once I started doing oil treatments, I was eventually able to skip two days and still have great "third day" hair. My hair is in great condition, and I always get lots of compliments on it. My hair is healthy, shiny, easy to style and I never, ever have split ends. I can let it grow as long as I want, my stylist only shapes up the layers as needed. I don't have to "cut" it to remove damaged hair. And, I haven't had tangles in over two years.......at all.

So, yes, even though my hair wasn't "terrible" to begin with, I really have noticed a huge difference :-)

Honored Contributor

I haven't used heat styling tools on a regular basis in about 20 years. I blow dry maybe 2-3x a year always in the winter and only if I absolutely must leave the house and I didn't plan ahead to make sure my hair was dry. I'm not going to end up with frozen hair and frost bitten ears. In summer, I'll go out with wet hair no problem.

I've been using Wen for a little over 2 years. My routine before Wen was, shampoo and condition and air dry at least every other day. I couldn't go longer than that because of oily scalp. I was the classic oily scalp and dry ends. My hair was between bra strap and waist during this time and I couldn't grow it longer because I'd get split ends and have to cut it. I would leave a trail of hair on the floor around my desk, where I sit on the couch and in the shower. My husband complained about it clogging the vacuum cleaner.

Now my hair no longer has oily scalp and dry ends. I've been able to grow my hair to tailbone length without split ends and I'm still growing it longer. I haven't even trimmed my hair in almost a year. I can go a week between cleansings. My hair is back to the thickness it was when I was younger and my husband commented that he doesn't find my hair all over the house or in the vacuum anymore. My texture hasn't changed, it's still medium texture and wavy but it's no longer dry. I technically don't need Fig anymore. Now I can use it if I want a straighter look with less volume.

My personal opinion is that most of the improvement is from using a product that doesn't lather ( no shampoo). Plus by not using shampoo my hair color quit fading so I didn't have to run color through the ends on occasion to keep it even causing cumulative damage over time.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 terrier3 said:

I see so many posters who say that it totally changed the texture & quality of their hair.

I like WEN, but I haven't noticed many changes.

My hair wasn't overprocessed, curly or frizzy to start with. I color the gray every 6 weeks with Aveda products and blow dry for about 5 minutes a day (at most). I have a Jennifer Lawrence type pixie style now and it's a snap to style.

Do a lot of WENNERS bleach and overprocess their hair? Do you use a lot of hot rollers, curling irons, etc.?

I think you would have to have really terrible hair to notice such a huge difference...

It's a lot easier to avoid hair issues when your hair is that short. I had short hair in my 20s and it was bleached blonde. The ends aren't there long enough to accumulate much damage. My ends now, are easily 5 years old.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

I've been using WEN since it was first introduced at the Q. I've been blessed with very thick hair and a lot of it. It is coarse though. WEN makes it softer than anything else I've ever used.

When I started, my hair was short. I've grown it out to a few inches below my shoulders now.When your hair is long, it is older. I think using WEN allows me to have long hair that stays in good condition.

You may not see as dramatic a difference with short hair that was in good condition to start with.

Respected Contributor

I've been using WEN for 31 mos. Prior to WEN, my relaxed hair would break off at about the bottom of my neck. If I was successful on getting a little more length it didn't last long. I had a lot of split ends all the time and I shed constantly. My hair was dry and I kept putting on a hair conditioner (we call it 'grease,) until I stopped using that and started using Nexxus. That was an improvement in moisture and there were fewer split ends but nothing huge changed. I also used my curling iron every day. If I blew my hair dry, I flat ironed it and then curled it.

Now I don't get split ends and hardy shed. Of course, I comb out the hair that's ready to go with the WEN comb when showering. My hair is moisturized. I haven't used my curling iron since the first week of March. I love doing my hair in about 3 minutes flat. I am experimenting more and more with styles and no heat styling. In June one of my aunt's friends cut a lot of my remaining old hair so it's now midway down the upper part of my back. I had slight layers and so have to just let the hair at the top of my head grow a little more to cut off the last of the poo hair.

My hair still grows a little more slowly than I would like so I started taking Lessman's this month.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

My hair had always been a hot mess before Wen, even when I was a kid.

Last year took the cake though, after a few too many dye jobs - it felt like a Brillo pad, looked like cotton candy when dry, and had the same consistency as peanut butter when wet.

It was absolutely awful and quite frankly embarrassing.

Obviously, it's done a complete 180 since I started using Wen and is currently in the best condition of my life; interestingly enough, I didn't really start noticing the change until a few months in, and in the beginning I honestly thought the stuff was over-priced and over-hyped with no results to back up the claims (blasphemy!) {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Also interesting is that my mom, who has had healthy hair for her whole life, can't stop raving about the difference Wen is making on her hair, and she's only been using it for a few months.

We are both natural redheads with the same fine hair texture, for reference.

Different strokes for different folks I guess {#emotions_dlg.blush}