Super Contributor

Inversion Hair Growth Therapy and Wen Oils

Hi all!

I have yet to see a thread on this and I just HAVE to rave about it and the fantastic results I've gotten!

I have been trying to grow out all of my pre-Wen hair since last November, and the process has been painstakingly slow.

Although my hair grows rather quickly and the virgin hair is in the best condition of my entire life, I regularly get trims so it takes a while to see any real progress with the length. It is currently BSL and more than half of that length is "poo hair," while the rest is Wen hair.

I recently decided to look up methods of helping the hair to grow as fast as possible, when I stumbled upon "inversion therapy" - if you've used Aveda Invati, this is what that product line is based on.

Inversion therapy is exactly what it sounds like - you invert your head completely (this would be akin to how your head would look during a headstand), or at a slightly inverted angle (this would be akin to when you flip your head upside down when throwing your hair into a bun) and perform a scalp massage. This will "shock" your scalp into stimulating more blood flow - the result of which stimulates hair growth.

While inverted, you are supposed to do a scalp massage for about four to five minutes with an oil for the hair - and that, ladies, is why I posted this on the Wen forum.

I have been doing inversion therapy along with my weekly SHP oil treatments for the past 7 days (you are only supposed to do inversion for 7 days maximum per month because the scalp will become accustomed to the increased blood flow if you do it any longer).

I do my inversion therapy by hanging my head off the edge of my bed and performing the scalp massage with my SHP oil for five minutes. After doing so, I let the oil treatment sit for at least two hours before cleansing with whatever CC I have in rotation (this week it's BGT).

Today marked the end of my 7 days, and I decided to measure my hair to see if I achieved any results. I am not exaggerating when I say that my hair has grown an inch. AN ENTIRE INCH! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Since most hair takes at least two months to grow an inch, I was completely and utterly shocked that I grew an inch of hair in one week. My hair already grows faster using Wen, so this process just threw the growth into overdrive.

By my calculations, if I do inversion therapy for one week out of every month, and continue to grow an inch every time I do so, I will have completely grown out my pre-Wen hair by the new year!

You should NOT do inversion therapy if you have any of the following health conditions: pregnancy, hernia, hyper/hypotension, recent stroke, heart/circulatory problems, glaucoma, conjunctivitis (pink eye), detached retina, migraine, spinal injury, swollen joints, osteoporosis, unhealed fractures/injuries, ear infection, or any other health issue that would prevent blood flow or cause injury.

As I said before, I do this myself by hanging my head off the edge of my bed, but you can also do it by sitting in a chair/couch and lowering your head slightly toward your feet as if you are painting your toenails, or standing at the kitchen sink and lowering your head as if you are getting ready to wash your hair in the sink.

I know most of the ladies on this board are all about hair growth, so I just thought I would share my experience with this method since it's all-natural and utilizes everything we already love about Wen.

I am going to try doing overnight oil treatments when I do this next month and I will report back on the results after doing so.

Hope this interests some of you and good luck if you decide to try it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

Re: Inversion Hair Growth Therapy and Wen Oils

Sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Formally NewtoWen
Super Contributor

How cool! Thanks for posting about this. And continued success to you. A quick question - why don't you just have the "poo hair" all chopped off, or at least a majority, and just have all great hair?

I have the opposite "problem" of hair that grows fast and have to have it trimmed more often than I'd like.

Super Contributor

On 8/29/2014 F1wild said:

How cool! Thanks for posting about this. And continued success to you. A quick question - why don't you just have the "poo hair" all chopped off, or at least a majority, and just have all great hair?

I have the opposite "problem" of hair that grows fast and have to have it trimmed more often than I'd like.

I would totally do a big chop if my "poo hair" was super damaged, but it's still manageable and looks great (thanks to Wen, of course) so I can't stomach the thought of going from BSL to like SL if I don't have to, if that makes sense.

I look terrible with short hair anyways, makes my face look severe, so I let my vanity get the best of me and I'm trying to ride it out till I can just grow it all out Smile

Valued Contributor

Sorry. I wanted to ask. What are BLS and SL.
Formally NewtoWen
Esteemed Contributor

Bra strap length and shoulder length

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

On 8/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Bra strap length and shoulder length

Thanks.
Formally NewtoWen
Super Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Newtowen said: Sorry. I wanted to ask. What are BLS and SL.

Bra Strap Length and Shoulder Length - sorry for taking so long to answer!

Valued Contributor

This is very interesting. I'm debating on growing my hair out. I had it long for years (pre-wen) and right before I started with Wen, this past Jan, I cut it to above my shoulders. When it was long I always pulled it up and it was so heavy I had bad headaches often. But I'm loving my hair so much now with Wen that I really want to try it long again. I got it cut at the end of May to chin length and it's already just about shoulder length! Thank you Wen. I'm not going to cut it again until I'm completely sure I don't wanna grow it out. I just think it will look so good long now that I wouldn't pull it up as much as I did before. I may be trying this soon! I even asked my man for his opinion but he won't help, bless his heart! All he said was "you look good with it either way but you had more headaches with it longer". What to do?!
Love my Wen, Love my Animals! God Bless You All!
Super Contributor

On 9/6/2014 BethanyB said: This is very interesting. I'm debating on growing my hair out. I had it long for years (pre-wen) and right before I started with Wen, this past Jan, I cut it to above my shoulders. When it was long I always pulled it up and it was so heavy I had bad headaches often. But I'm loving my hair so much now with Wen that I really want to try it long again. I got it cut at the end of May to chin length and it's already just about shoulder length! Thank you Wen. I'm not going to cut it again until I'm completely sure I don't wanna grow it out. I just think it will look so good long now that I wouldn't pull it up as much as I did before. I may be trying this soon! I even asked my man for his opinion but he won't help, bless his heart! All he said was "you look good with it either way but you had more headaches with it longer". What to do?!

It's so weird that you mention your hair feeling heavy because I was just thinking about this!

When I was younger and had my hair longer, I would always put it in a braid or ponytail because it felt super heavy and/or was super frizzy, so out of my face and out of my way was the best. There was nothing glamorous about it - it was a hot mess {#emotions_dlg.lol}

My hair is BSL now, as I said in my OP, and I usually always wear it down because it feels light and airy and "looks like the kind of hair you'd see on a Victoria's Secret Angel," per the sentiments of my boyfriend. I can throw it into a top knot if I want to and even that looks touchable, which is all I really want.

I don't think you should cut it till yours till it gets to at least AL (Armpit Length), because that's a good length to determine if you want the responsibility that comes with long hair or if you want to experience the waiting game that most people with short hair end up suffering through after they get it cut.

Just my thoughts!