New Contributor

Using WEN after cancer treatments

I have been using WEN for several years now and am very happy with the results. Unfortunately, i have just been diagnosed with breast cancer and will be starting chemo and possibly radiation. It's likely that i will lose my hair, and would love get some feedback from anyone that went thru this and if their hair grew back even better using WEN after their chemo treatments were finished?

Respected Contributor

Re: Using WEN after cancer treatments

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I will pray for health and strength for you and your family. My mom had breast cancer and went through chemo. She did lose her hair. I put tea tree oil and tea tree replenishing mist on her scalp. Her hair grew back nicely. I hope the best for you. I hope this helps. God bless
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Super Contributor

First off, I'm sorry for what you are going through. It's pretty traumatic, but I've always been thankful there was a treatment, even if it did mean losing my hair.

Secondly, I started using Bamboo Green Tea during my treatments on my bald little head. I did fine with it and my hair even started to come back before I had completed my treatments. I finished in May.

Keep your chin up.

Super Contributor

First, please join us in the Cancer Survivors thread in the Health and Fitness section because you're already a survivor!! We offer support and compassion to patients, family members & friends pre, active & post treatment for all forms of this horrible disease.

I'm not a breast cancer survivor, so can't address that specifically, but I have been a WENner before, during & after my successful treatment and kept my hair.

I wish you all the strength in the world!!

Respected Contributor

AWESOME results. Remember during chemo you will have skin changes due to the toxins in your system. You won't eat much, but please drink loads of water. If you have a juicer, vitamix or nutribullet, use it for protein shakes and green smoothies to give back to your body and pull the chemo out.

The CC will be good for your skin, so using it as a body wash as well as head wash is a great idea since your skin will need moisture and goodness. WEN would be perfect for that. Many people that lose their hair have it grow back differently.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who went through this and while her hair was growing back she said her scalp was more sensitive, I think the tree tree and menthol might not be the best post chemo.

The OP should ask her Drs/Nurses for the best treatments after chemo

Respected Contributor

Docs will tell you just to use gentle shampoo/body wash that is moisturizing or whatever feels good.

Contributor

I am an oncology RN...A lot of my patients have reported fantastic success with using wen for chemo related hair loss, but after the treatments were finished, .I will tell you to PLEASE check with your oncologist or chemotherapy nurse prior to use. Depending on the chemo used, it may not react well with the ingredients in wen and It definitely can irritate skin that is already irritated from chemo and radiation. The scents also have the potential to make chemo induced nausea even worse.best of luck and god bless!

Regular Contributor

God bless you and stay strong. I personally have not had this but a few close family members have gone through this. It was prior to my discovering of WEN. PA_RN made a good point about scents and nausea and possibly the menthol irritating you. I would also, like to mention that everyone is different as to what irritates them. Also, don't forget the "kids" formulas have no menthol. They have been called the "extra sensitive formulas" - no wheat, no menthol. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Good luck!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I was told that when hair comes back it is very individual to each patient. My fine hair came back even more fine and has been very delicate since then. 2 years ago I had 2 surgeries -mini knee replacements - and my hair was coming out in clumps from the anesthesia. I started taking hair, skin and nails vitamins and have found they really help the texture and amount of hair I have. Sadly, I went through menopause after my chemo so I can't really say if it was chemo or meno that has made my hair so sadly delicate - probably a combo of both. I have found that the very best thing for me is to keep my hair in a short blow dry style that does not require hot styling or perms or products. I also put a small amount of argon oil on it at night which seems to keep it shiny.

good luck with your chemo. They have come a long way with chemo and it is not nearly as brutal as it once was.