Super Contributor

How Do You Deal With Your Bangs?

Hi all!

I haven't really seen any posts regarding this particular issue (if they exist pretty please provide a link to the thread) so I figured I'd start my own.

I adore Wen and everything it stands for - it makes my hair commercial quality virtually all the time.

However, lately it seems that my bangs/fringe, which are semi-long and usually worn swept to the side via parting on the right side, don't seem to be feelin' the love as much as the rest of my hair. They either come out feeling a bit dry, or overly conditioned. This issue also seems to affect the hair by the nape of my neck.

I have resorted to doing my first cleanse with my hair parted down the middle, per my usual routine, and for the second cleanse I brush my hair back (while it's still wet and relatively slick from the first cleanse) completely, and then follow up with my normal rinsing and styling routine. Obviously Chaz would be freaking out at the concept of brushing hair that vigorously while it's wet so I'm looking to stop doing that.

I don't think it's a formula issue since I not only can use virtually all the formulas, but also only incorporate protein heavy ones for one week out of every six or seven weeks. I still have the problem regardless. Same goes with styling products - they always work well.

For reference my hair is BSL, medium-fine texture, 2B curl type, and non-color treated (vibrant copper by birth, thank you genetics).

If you have defined bangs, how do you make them look awesome?

Any feedback is appreciated from you lovely ladies! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Deal With Your Bangs?

I use texture balm on my bangs. I found this year that using the finishing cream on my bangs when it's really humid works better.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Occasional Contributor

Are you using cool water to rinse? I find that makes a big difference.
Super Contributor

On 8/21/2014 ellen16 said: Are you using cool water to rinse? I find that makes a big difference.

I often feel like a polar bear when I cleanse - I use cool water the entire time

Trusted Contributor

I have thick bangs that I wear long and swept to the side. I treat them just like the rest of my hair :-)

My hair is fine in texture, but thick; currently heavily layered, the shortest layer is just below my jaw, longest is bra strap length. My fave CC is TT, but I also just SAM, CA and LAV regularly. Occasionally will add in BGT, seasonals and 613. I'm currently using Remoist as my leave in, plus styling cream applied in shower. I usually follow that with either mousse or VTS at the roots. I do not apply any leave in near my roots or bangs, but I will rake styling cream through them after I've applied it to the length of my hair. I also never use cool water.......nice and warm for me!

Since my scalp is naturally oily, I focus my cleansing at my scalp. I typically do a double cleanse, and for each cleanse, I apply my my "pumps" in 1/3s, starting at my front hairline and working my way back, through the crown to the nape. I use my fingers to lift my hair up and away from the scalp, making sure the CC is fully covering my scalp. Once my scalp is fully covered, I add plenty of water to the top of my head, then lift my hair up and let the water hit underneath, near the nape. Then I massage thoroughly, working the CC down through the length of my hair. Rinsing is done the same way, in sections, starting at the top and working my way back, lifting and separating my hair as I go.

Sorry for the long directions, but I had a learning curve with Wen. I have to make sure my scalp is completely cleansed and rinsed to get the best results.

Maybe you could tweak your "Wenning" to be certain each area is getting the attention is needs, lol.

If all is well there, maybe your hair texture is changing and you're seeing it first in your bangs and nape??? Just a thought....... I'm dealing with that myself. My hair has always been straight as a board, couldn't hold a curl if my life depended on it. Within the past few years, it's been more body (not necessarily a bad thing). However, it hasn't yet become fully wavy.........it just has a big "bump" in the back. On good days, two bumps :-)

Super Contributor

I have had bangs most of the time I've used WEN. I never had any issues with my bangs until I had to start cleansing bending over in the shower with my hair hanging over my face. I have had to learn to take extra care to hold my head sideways enough to rinse my bangs well. I also have to be careful not to get the main part of my leave in or sc at the front.

If you could get a WEN comb or at least use a smooth wide tooth comb it would be easier on your hair than a brush and might actually help you rinse your hairline.

Super Contributor

On 8/21/2014 okiebug said:

I have had bangs most of the time I've used WEN. I never had any issues with my bangs until I had to start cleansing bending over in the shower with my hair hanging over my face. I have had to learn to take extra care to hold my head sideways enough to rinse my bangs well. I also have to be careful not to get the main part of my leave in or sc at the front.

If you could get a WEN comb or at least use a smooth wide tooth comb it would be easier on your hair than a brush and might actually help you rinse your hairline.

Whoops!

I left that part out - I use a Wen comb, so when I say "brushing" I mean the physical act of brushing my hair, not using an actual brush.

Sorry for the confusion!

Respected Contributor

There's a tutorial called salon in your home with Travis George. The model has bangs and she does her whole blow out for you. My bang area is very long and I still do mine this way. Just get a round brush and section that area off and roll hair up in brush and slowly blow down the hair. Roll it forwards, I mean towards your face not the back of your head and keep doing that. I section the top of my head in 3 parts. From ear to ear sideways that makes 2 sections the front section I dry as per above then the back section I part into 2 on each side and dry one at a time.

Super Contributor

On 8/22/2014 sjk73 said:

There's a tutorial called salon in your home with Travis George. The model has bangs and she does her whole blow out for you. My bang area is very long and I still do mine this way. Just get a round brush and section that area off and roll hair up in brush and slowly blow down the hair. Roll it forwards, I mean towards your face not the back of your head and keep doing that. I section the top of my head in 3 parts. From ear to ear sideways that makes 2 sections the front section I dry as per above then the back section I part into 2 on each side and dry one at a time.

Thanks for the advice!

My problem is less with styling and more with making sure my hair receives adequate moisture and attention in those hard to reach areas, though.

Luckily my Perfecter and easy hair type makes styling a breeze Smile