Not applicable

Help! daughter has very long, thick, and now tangled/matted hair

My 16 yo daughter has very long (waist length length) thick hair. She woke up one morning and it was all tangled and matted. She worked at it and it loosened up but then got worse. She tried my wen but it didn't work. I am able to work in small sections and get it untangled with little cutting but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to speed this process up. I also have long,thick hair but not as long as hers and I won't use anything but Wen anymore. My scalp used to scratch really bad with any shampoo used and it got flaky. I've read blogs that say shampoo and don't shampoo, condition the heck out of it to cut it all off. Would you want all your hair cut off if you were a 16 year old girl? Please help!
Honored Contributor

Re: Help! daughter has very long, thick, and now tangled/matted hair

Why doesn't she braid her hair for bedtime?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/20/2014 Mz iMac said:

Why doesn't she braid her hair for bedtime?

This!

Braid it to prevent the tangles and matting.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Have you tried the kids detangling spray? Also if she is going to keep her hair that long and is prone to tangles, she should do something with it at bedtime. Also to protect it from split ends. Wear a cap or braid as Mz iMac said. Why not wet her hair and the. Use the WEN comb from bottom to top to detangle and then blow dry in sections.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

before we started wen my daughter's hair used to knot something fierce. I would not shampoo your daughter's hair until you have a good portion of the knots out or it will get worse.

I used california baby detangling spray. They sell it at Target and wholefoods. If you have one of them close by it may be worth picking some up. I cannot tell you how many sprays we tried and this one worked the best. My daughter had "adult" hair by the time she was a couple years old, no baby soft fine hair for her. Whatever sray you end up using soak her hair, if it that bad. Let it set in for awhile and then COMB it in sections. Very slowly starting at the bottom.

Going forward, maybe your daughter should consider a hair cut. Long hair is a lot of work and not for everyone. If it is tangling this bad it may be time for a fresh start

Honored Contributor

My granddaughter has waist length too. She got it tangled and matted while swimming the one time it wasn't braided about 2 weeks ago. I sprayed hair conditioner mixed with water on her hair and combed it with a very wide tooth metal comb that originally was purchased at a pet store for my dogs. I worked from the bottom to the top In very small sections. It took me about 2 hours, and she was crying before it was done. She will be 10 in September and wants her hair cut for her birthday.
Honored Contributor

Talk her into a hair cut, as she's going to have a lot of broken and split ends from being matted. anyway. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

The best to get the tangles out is using oil. VO5 makes a hot oil treatment.

It may take several tubes since her hair is long. Heat the tubes and rub all over her hair. Put in a plastic shower cap for about one hour. Then take your fingers to get out the tangles. Using a comb or brush will break the hair.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention that you need to wet her hair before you put in the oil.

Regular Contributor

I like using ""it's a 10"" miracle leave in lite and this brush A232380 from QVC.