Contributor

Mixed reviews, reluctant to try. How does Wen compare to philosophy hair products?

I have several close friends in the beauty field and I have gotten mixed reviews from them on Wed conditioning cleansers. I'm not much of a try and return girl, and Wen products are not a cheap discount store investment bottle to throw away. I'm a huge fan and user of philosophy products and have been considering their shampoo and conditioner. Any feed back from people who have tried both products would be helpful. I have color treated hair (red), not bleached.

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mixed reviews, reluctant to try. How does Wen compare to philosophy hair products?

Many (many) years ago I tried the shear splendor products and found them very good. I was never crazy about using the Amazing Grace 3-in-1 as a shampoo and felt that the shear splendor shampoo was much more moisturizing. I did however like the Amazing Grace conditioner very much -- the smell was wonderful, it was very moisturizing and the price was not bad. I think that was about 10 years ago. I switched from this array of philosophy products to WEN and there was no comparison in terms of the overall softness, look and behavior of my curls.

Hair care products are so specific to hair type that I would not dare to give you advice. I would only suggest that if you think you want to try WEN, get a sampler set so that you can see if one or two of the formulas work well for you. You should also try philosophy and see what you think. Both are good products. As I get older (I'm in my early 50s) the health of my scalp is more of a focus. I can say with certainty that WEN is much better for my scalp -- and therefore hair growth -- than any shampoo/conditioner that I have used.

This probably hasn't helped you much but it does represent my experience. Good luck (and have fun with it)!

Honored Contributor

Re: Mixed reviews, reluctant to try. How does Wen compare to philosophy hair products?

I honestly believe that people in the beauty field make judgments about WEN without really understanding the theory/philosophy behind it . My DD is a hair stylist and her old boss never tried WEN, just heard about it, and then thought she was going to educate me on it.

WEN and Philosophy are two different products, created in two different ways, using differing philosophies about cleaning the user's hair and scalp, and they have different ingredients. If you're getting any kind of suds, you're using a shampoo that can strip your hair of it's health. Even the so-call sulfate-free shampoos will do that. WEN, on the other hand, does not suds up. It's made to cleanse and condition by using only natural ingredients, botanicals and oils. It's apples and oranges, IMO.

Respected Contributor

Anything that lathers will strip. I had been on a hair product quest for years because my hair was so beat up from coloring and shampooing. It was soooo dull and lifeless. I cut it all off (was down my back) I stopped coloring and use Wen exclusively and my hair is back with this deep, deep shine and luster that NO other product can give. I tried 'em all. I had boxes and boxes of stuff I pitched because I only need Wen. Not only does it do your hair justice but the body cleanser and lotion are amazing too. They make shower time so enjoyable. If you don't like it you can return it even if the bottles are empty, that's what they say, anyway and I believe them. I never returned any. I saw the difference it made. People do a double take at me all the time because of Wen and I always get compliments on my hair. I know it's not cheap but let's face it, you get what you pay for. Not only that but here's another old adage....the cheap comes out expensive. That happened to me because I spent so much money on products that did not work. I was not able to return them. All went in the garbage. Wen is truly remarkable in my opinion. Why not try it? I know I'll never go back to shampoo, like they say in the informercial....never, never, never!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 islandgrrl said:

Many (many) years ago I tried the shear splendor products and found them very good. I was never crazy about using the Amazing Grace 3-in-1 as a shampoo and felt that the shear splendor shampoo was much more moisturizing. I did however like the Amazing Grace conditioner very much -- the smell was wonderful, it was very moisturizing and the price was not bad. I think that was about 10 years ago. I switched from this array of philosophy products to WEN and there was no comparison in terms of the overall softness, look and behavior of my curls.

Hair care products are so specific to hair type that I would not dare to give you advice. I would only suggest that if you think you want to try WEN, get a sampler set so that you can see if one or two of the formulas work well for you. You should also try philosophy and see what you think. Both are good products. As I get older (I'm in my early 50s) the health of my scalp is more of a focus. I can say with certainty that WEN is much better for my scalp -- and therefore hair growth -- than any shampoo/conditioner that I have used.

This probably hasn't helped you much but it does represent my experience. Good luck (and have fun with it)!

Very good post.

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I honestly believe that people in the beauty field make judgments about WEN without really understanding the theory/philosophy behind it . My DD is a hair stylist and her old boss never tried WEN, just heard about it, and then thought she was going to educate me on it.

WEN and Philosophy are two different products, created in two different ways, using differing philosophies about cleaning the user's hair and scalp, and they have different ingredients. If you're getting any kind of suds, you're using a shampoo that can strip your hair of it's health. Even the so-call sulfate-free shampoos will do that. WEN, on the other hand, does not suds up. It's made to cleanse and condition by using only natural ingredients, botanicals and oils. It's apples and oranges, IMO.

I agree. Philosophy products are nothing like Wen. You really can't compare them.

If you really want to try Wen I would also suggest that you try one of the Wen discovery kits so you can try different formulas.

Honored Contributor

Ingredients in the Splendor shampoo

water (aqua), disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, ppg-2 hydroxyethyl cocamide, sodium lauryl sulfoacetate, lauryl betaine, glycol distearate, acrylates copolymer, soy amino acids, hydrolyzed soy protein, fragrance (parfum), steareth-4, methyl gluceth-20, phytantriol, polyquaternium-10, butylene glycol, ppg-26-buteth-26, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, apigenin, oleanolic acid, biotinoyl tripeptide-1, phytosterols, tocopherol, tocotrienols, oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, squalene, panthenol, sodium benzotriazolyl butylphenol sulfonate, buteth-3, tributyl citrate, sodium hydroxide, tetrasodium edta, citric acid, sodium chloride, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone.

Ingredients of Sweet Almond Mint cleansing conditioner ( since it's the one with the patent)

Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Chamomile Extract, Cherry Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Rosemary Extract, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Menthol, Essential Oils, Citric Acid, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 jaxs mom said:

Ingredients in the Splendor shampoo

water (aqua), disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, ppg-2 hydroxyethyl cocamide, sodium lauryl sulfoacetate, lauryl betaine, glycol distearate, acrylates copolymer, soy amino acids, hydrolyzed soy protein, fragrance (parfum), steareth-4, methyl gluceth-20, phytantriol, polyquaternium-10, butylene glycol, ppg-26-buteth-26, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, apigenin, oleanolic acid, biotinoyl tripeptide-1, phytosterols, tocopherol, tocotrienols, oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, squalene, panthenol, sodium benzotriazolyl butylphenol sulfonate, buteth-3, tributyl citrate, sodium hydroxide, tetrasodium edta, citric acid, sodium chloride, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone.

Ingredients of Sweet Almond Mint cleansing conditioner ( since it's the one with the patent)

Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Chamomile Extract, Cherry Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Rosemary Extract, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Menthol, Essential Oils, Citric Acid, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.

That says it all!!
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't even consider Philosophy a hair care product at all,no matter what they call it!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Trusted Contributor

I wonder why Shear Splendor contains salt and caustic soda aka lye, are those ingredients beneficial for the hair?
☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️