Regular Contributor

Even after 4+ years of Wen i still have single strand knots

I get my hair trimmed about an inch every six months. In between though, I always find this knots and I feel like it's only a matter of time before the strand breaks at that knot. Any ideas to stop these from forming? I use the TT, FIG, 613, and seasonals. I also use the SC, mousse, oil and remoist.
Honored Contributor

Re: Even after 4+ years of Wen i still have single strand knots

I don't really know what you are describing but some hair types do have the tendency to tangle, like mine, regardless of what you use. Unless you didn't have that issue before using WEN in which case I have no idea or suggestions for you.

Trusted Contributor

okay so not sure exactly what type of knots you are referring to- but sometimes those little 'knots' are deposits of excess protein on the hair strand. So I would suggest using more moisturizing products and less amino acids.

Esteemed Contributor

Fluffy, silicones are great for preventing single strand knots (SSKs).

Prior to Wen, I would add them to every hair product I used, even if they contained silicones already. SSKs were eliminated from the time I started using silicones regularly.

Wen has a Glossing Serum that is silicone based. Add it to your ReMoist, your CC leave-in or your Styling Cream. I think I added it to my mousse also, but I can't remember.

If you want to give it a dry run, try Cantu Super Shine and Silk available at Target.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

On 7/25/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Fluffy, silicones are great for preventing single strand knots (SSKs).

Prior to Wen, I would add them to every hair product I used, even if they contained silicones already. SSKs were eliminated from the time I started using silicones regularly.

Wen has a Glossing Serum that is silicone based. Add it to your ReMoist, your CC leave-in or your Styling Cream. I think I added it to my mousse also, but I can't remember.

If you want to give it a dry run, try Cantu Super Shine and Silk available at Target.

The one product I haven't tried.. Ordering now! Thanks honey!
Super Contributor

I have the same issue, Fluffy! My hair is so thick and coarse that it's impossible to run a brush through it from crown to tip. My hair has actually broken a few brushes in the past - now I don't even own one. On a daily basis, I weave my fingers through my hair to "untie" the knots. But I wouldn't dare try to run a comb or brush through the knots, for the same reason you described - afraid of breaking the strands.

My hair has been this way my entire life, but WEN makes it a hundred times more manageable, although it may not sound like it (lol)!

Respected Contributor

I use the Bamboo spritzer on each section before I blow dry it and that cuts way down on tangles. I know I have that thing going on too. Wen helps a lot though. Without Wen it would take me ten to 15 minutes to comb my hair so I didn't rip and tare it out. Next month will mark four years I've been using Wen exclusively too and I found there is nothing like it. Let's face it, some people have different textured hair but Wen will at least allow us to have some kind of improvement and no damage from usage. I believe fine textured hair, like mine, is prone to tangling, unfortunately. Before Wen, I was on a "quest" for hair products that I would be happy with but after accumulating many boxes of all kinds of stuff I found Wen and my quest is over. Ya know what too? Naturally wavy hair tangles more than plain, straight hair. Wen will only enhance what you have, not change your hair or the way it grows. I mean, it won't give you curly hair or straight hair. It's a product you can use without worrying about shampoo "chewing" it up, like it did to mine. What I do too is I use all the different ones that are available. When my hair gets too oily I use Cucumber and Tea Tree, then when it needs moisture I use the seasonals or 613. I feel your pain though.

Respected Contributor

Sorry to reply twice. I just though of something...whenever you comb your hair or are styling, make sure you comb completely through the ends and take your hand and smooth out the ends so they don't tangle. I rake my fingers through the ends after my blow dry or after I just plain comb to cut down on tangles. Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

flufflybear,

Have these exact same issues, in fact if I am not careful I have to cut the knots out. Some times excessive oil helps al little but washing my hair every other day is usually my only hope. I use all the wen products also.

Esteemed Contributor

Single strand knots aren't tangled hair; they are tiny knots that form on the ends of curly hair strands. They are also The Enemy. Once formed, they have to be cut out.

Colonel, I've broken a brush or two myself.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.