Regular Contributor

WEN product comparisons and similarities questions

Since I am a newer wen user I have some questions. I love the feel, moisture, silkiness and shine I get from specifically the SHP CC and SC but I realize they are seasonal products and not going to be around forever. I have not tried other prior seasonals . The point of my question is what core scent, if any, has the closest feel and performance that SHP does? I don't want to feel I have to stockpile SHP before it goes away if another core products is very similar and performs the same that I can just get anytime instead of something that is only around for a limited time. Does that make sense? I already have TT and 613 but they perform differently for the other hair issues I purchased them for. I want to find an additional product that is not a seasonal to achieve the results I am getting from the SHP products. I was thinking about BGT and wondering how that compares to,the seasonals specifically the SHP? Sorry for long post but I need some educated answers from you helpful wenners! Thanks! PInk Sorry for the multiple posts. Mobile device is acting up!
Trusted Contributor

Re: WEN product comparisons and similarities questions

I would love to hear opinions on this also. I purchased the variety pack of Wen CC years ago and didn't like any of them. However, I decided to try Wen one last time and LOVE the SHP. I thought I read somewhere that all the seasonals are the same except for the scent, but I'm not sure if that's true. I've been debating on stocking up on the SHP, but don't want to do that if the fall seasonal will perform as well since it's the performance that I love and not particularly the peach scent.

Respected Contributor

The SHP is different from the other seasonals, I think. It has a glossing complex that, as far as I know, has never been in any formula before. I sure wish Chaz would make this formula part of the core line, even if it has a different scent!

Honored Contributor

If you use the Pomegranate and add some of the 613, you'll have many components of the seasonals, but the scent won't be close at all. I would try that.

I don't really think any of the core formulas are very close to Summer Honey Peach. The seasonals are thicker and creamier and the scents are usually very different. The seasonals are all soy based and the Pomegranate is also soy based, so that's close. Seasonals mix a standard conditioning cleaser with treatment, like 613. Pom +613 will be the closest formula match, it not a scent match.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the responses! Great info!

Super Contributor

It seems that there are 2 threads going with same initial post. Double the outcome? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I've used all seasonals except the SHP and find the closest core c.f. is the POM. I do just as ChynnaBlue suggested, if I need an extra bit of oomph. I do a couple of pumps of the 613 added to my favorite POM.

Respected Contributor

On 7/23/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

If you use the Pomegranate and add some of the 613, you'll have many components of the seasonals, but the scent won't be close at all. I would try that.

I don't really think any of the core formulas are very close to Summer Honey Peach. The seasonals are thicker and creamier and the scents are usually very different. The seasonals are all soy based and the Pomegranate is also soy based, so that's close. Seasonals mix a standard conditioning cleaser with treatment, like 613. Pom +613 will be the closest formula match, it not a scent match.

This is what I was thinking, too. I don't think you will get an exact match, but the Pom and 613 might be pretty close. The BGT also has the extra amino acids like the seasonals do. I personally think the BGT performs similar to the SHP on my hair. However, some say that BGT is drying. It is not drying on my hair when I use it occasionally. I am one that can't use too much protein on my hair or it gets dry. If your hair responds well to protein, you may like the BGT. I say Pom +613 or BGT would be your best bet.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Regular Contributor

Hillary77, I use the 613 but can only use it once or twice a week otherwise I get the dry, straw like feeling to my hair. Something about the BGT is drawing me to it. I think I would love it and hopefully it would not be drying. Since the seasonals have amino acids in them and so does BGT I think they would be somewhat similar except for soy based vs rice based right? Thanks for the info!
Respected Contributor

On 7/23/2014 pinksilhouette said: Hillary77, I use the 613 but can only use it once or twice a week otherwise I get the dry, straw like feeling to my hair. Something about the BGT is drawing me to it. I think I would love it and hopefully it would not be drying. Since the seasonals have amino acids in them and so does BGT I think they would be somewhat similar except for soy based vs rice based right? Thanks for the info!
The SHP has the honey complex and the four tea complex. The BGT does have the four tea complex like the SHP, but not the honey. And you're right, the BGT is rice based. I think you might like the BGT. It has gotten a lot of rave reviews. I like it with TT. I use TT for the first cleanse and BGT for the second cleanse. I have also recently started not using the cc as a leave in. I think this has actually helped my hair to add moisture. The regular cc's have a small amount of wheat, soy, or rice protein, too. I think not leaving them on my hair helps with keeping my hair balanced. I think my hair is really sensitive to protein. I really don't need much at all. I just use the styling creme and a few drops of oil as my leave in. Good luck!
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Regular Contributor

Thanks Hillary77! I always use TT as my first cleanse and it sounds like I need to get some BGT now! I hope it will be one of the choices in the Aug TSV. I just don't want to fall in love with a particular seasonal that eventually will be discontinued or feel like I have to stockpile. I just want similar results like from the SHP in a core product that I don't have to worry about going bye bye if you know what I mean. Pink