Regular Contributor

Hello! This Friday I have a hair appt. I really would like to put a few more golden highlights around my face but I know how damaging most lighteners are. My hair is med brown with gold highlights. I just want to have it a bit lighter for the summer but still want to keep my base color. Of course I will be bringing my Wen to the salon. They use Redken color. Any ideas? I don't want to destroy my healthy Wen hair!

Valued Contributor

I'm a stylist. The only way to get lighter since you have color on your hair is lightener. Color won't lift previous color from the hair. If you decide to do it just be sure to treat with remoist before and after. If it were me I wouldn't though, but I have fine, fragile hair that damages easily. Hth...

Regular Contributor

Thanks! Hmmmm...........I'll have to give this more thought.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a stylist as well. If you want subtle highlights - your hairdresser can use 20 volume (the same volume as most colors use), with a light shade of color. You don't need to bleach and tone it for subtle highlights. This causes less damage. Condition after coloring.

Regular Contributor
On 6/23/2014 dogmother said:

I'm a stylist as well. If you want subtle highlights - your hairdresser can use 20 volume (the same volume as most colors use), with a light shade of color. You don't need to bleach and tone it for subtle highlights. This causes less damage. Condition after coloring.

OK! I'll ask her to do that. : )

Valued Contributor

Normally I would agree but I took her post to mean that she already has color in her hair in which case it won't work.

Valued Contributor
On 6/23/2014 Kempokim said:

OK! I'll ask her to do that. : )

I took your first post to mean you already have color in your hair. Is that the case? If so then using a lighter shade of color won't work.