New Contributor
Hi, I have noticed that recently I am loosing a lot of hair not in the shower and when styling it. I have used Wen products for years. My hair is also very frizzy , dry and looks like it's breaking. I do color and highlight my hair? I am just wondering has anyone else had this problem? It is the Wen? Should I go back to regular shampoo? Or am I doing something wrong? I do use both the styling products and the cleansing conditioner as well as I have the brushes? Please help I feel like I am loosing my hair.
Respected Contributor

Re: Wen and hair falling out

One thing I found after a while is that my hair might react to a formula differently. Our needs change. Also, I don't know what age you are, but the change can be hormonal. The Pause, and the Pre-Pause can make hair like straw. Have you had any new medications? Naproxen especially will break your hair. If not any of those, let us know what formula you are using and how you use it. Have you added Smoothing Glossing Serum, that dries some ppl out too. I can use it on dry hair, not on wet. The more info you give, the more we can chime in.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Valued Contributor

Here we go again!!!!! DTTB!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

JT, what's different about you: hormone levels, stress level, medication, illness, diet, etc.

How long have you been chemically treating your hair? Maybe that last time was too much?

There are so many reasons that you could be losing your hair outside of Wen.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I would just let this thread die it's natural death.

Respected Contributor

You need to see a doctor about this problem. I believe that many threads about this issue have already been addressed and most recommended to see a doctor. Many reasons for this that a dermatologist/doctor should be able to solve.

Frequent Contributor

since you've been using Wen for year without a problem, it's not the Wen that's causing the problem. i would strongly suggest seeing a doctor to find out the actual cause (such as hormonal changes, etc).

Contributor

Thyroid problems are the #1 reason that women lose hair. Go to see an endocrinologist have a thryoid and female hormone workup! They often go hand in hand. There is absolutely no product that you put on your hair that will make it fall out. If anything, coloring, hot tools, bad shampoos, etc. could cause breakage but will not cause actual fall out from the roots. Fall out from the roots is from an internal problem or aging.

I've read a lot on these boards about women losing hair from Wen. If your hair is not visibly thinning but you are seeing more come out in the shower, it's likely due to the vigorous scrubbing and combing action needed to properly use the product. This is hair that would have fallen out anyway from combing and styling but possibly was never noticed in the ordinary shampooing process. If your hair is noticeably thinning (meaning you can see scalp and less thickness overall), and you are finding hair everywhere (pillowcase, bathroom floor, clothes), and it's shedding much more when you brush/comb, then it is most likely a medical issue (as noted above).

And I know from whence I speak! I've had a diagnosed thyroid problem for four years (and likely had it much longer than that) and over the years continued to lose hair in unusually large amounts that actually caused visible thinning. Scary for someone in their 30s! I've taken every supplement and used every hair product you could possibly imagine. The key is to identify the cause of the loss and address that. Apparently my problem was exacerbated by bc pills. After I stopped them and increased my dose of thyroid meds, my hair looks better but will take years to grow back (if it doesn't start shedding again). You should see a doctor, get thyroid, hormone and iron tests to get some answers. Note that if anyone (either women or men) in your family experienced age-related hair loss, it's possible that you could be as well. Only a doctor can tell you for sure.

Honored Contributor

On 6/17/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I would just let this thread die it's natural death.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Sounds like it's time to get your hair tight instead of loose.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval