Super Contributor

Chaz's Opinion About Coloring At Home

It's so funny a couple Wenners mentioned Chaz creating his own hair color in the 613 speculation thread. I didn't want to hijack the thread with this but it's funny how coincidences occur.

I think I have had it with my friend doing my hair all the time. Even though I bring my Wen to the salon and have him wash my hair with my Wen, I always see color going down the drain when I wash it on my own. I'll still go to him but I can't afford to go every month for touch ups.

I decided to email the salon to see what they had to say about hair color and this is what Jillian wrote back to me:

"Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we do not recommend using over the counter color, Chaz always recommends having your color done by a professional. The color line Chaz uses in the salon is the professional line of L'oreal called Majirel and Inoa, you can check with your stylist if they can use this color line or on the L'oreal website you can locate salons in your area that use the line.

Hope this helps
Sincerely,
Jillian "
Honored Contributor

Re: Chaz's Opinion About Coloring At Home

Well I have been coloring my hair at home for 10 years and like the results.L'Oreal over the counter by the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Regular Contributor

I, too color myself at home. I do use L'Oreal. I purchase all my supplies at Sally's Beauty and so I use the professional line. I have gotten adept at mixing colors. I use the Mega Brown's. I am naturally a brunette so I'm doing any major changes which I wouldn't attempt anyway, that I would leave to the pros.

Super Contributor

I am a big proponent of professional coloring also. years ago I used home coloring and the results were OK. When I switched to having it done in the salon the results were many times better. My hairdresser mixes about six colors to get my deep auburn shade. I get high and lowlights that you could never achieve at home.

I will have to agree with Chaz on this one!

Frequent Contributor

Marijel and Iona are fantastic color lines. I have had my hair color done with Majirel ( at Chaz Dean Studio) and have also seen beautiful results from Iona countless times. But, I have to touch up my roots at least every 3 weeks so pro color is not an option for me financially.

That being said, I have no doubt that leaving it to a pro would be the official answer from any celeb stylist. The reason being, can you imagine how suggesting otherwise might open said stylist to lawsuits should they recommend otherwise? I can hear it now! Chaz ( or Nick Chavez, or Jose Eber, etc) said home coloring was just fine and suggested I use Brand X . Now my hair is orange!...or, my hair is black!...or, my hair is fried!

Honored Contributor

I think legally, Chaz might not want to recommend home color. If he did, it could open doors of liability. Notice he did say what brand he used, BUT he said ask your stylist about it. It was kind of them to answer your question. That doesn't happen with many salons!

I like LOreal for some colors, browns and such. But for Reds I do not like their color as much. I find the reds fade a bit more. I might like schwartzkopf or goldwell, Matrix for red. For gray I like elgon (an italian brand) For blondes, I still like clairol and a few designer brands. JMHO

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/19/2014 croemer said:

Well I have been coloring my hair at home for 10 years and like the results.L'Oreal over the counter by the way.

I've been coloring my hair at home for a long time too.

Every professional stylist I've gone to has told me it's best to have it done professionally. Until I tell them that I do it myself, and they're astounded that they couldn't tell. They always say, "Just keep doing what you're doing!"

I'm not particularly talented, but the results I get are perfectly fine. I'm not surprised at all by the response from Chaz. It's exactly what I would have expected him to say. Kiss

Honored Contributor

I think it's easy to tell when a person colors their hair themselves. It looks .... not great.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think it's easy to tell when a person colors their hair themselves. It looks .... not great.

I disagree. I've seen both good & bad done by professionals and both good & bad done at home.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I do agree also-for myself. I also find that it doesn't last nearly as nice. I spurge on very few things-but haircolor is one of them.