New Contributor

Help Please -- top layer super frizzy

Hi Everyone,

I have been using the Tea Tree Wen cleansing conditioner and 613 (I think that is what it is called) for about 2 1/2 weeks. I shampoo every other day. I have a little wave to my hair (beach wave type I would say) and it is a bit frizzy. I got the Tea Tree for my daughter, she is 14 and is bi-racial (I am Caucasian and her dad is African), however, I have been using the tea tree too.

Since using the Wen cleansing conditioner I have a horrible top layer of frizz from the top of my head to the nape of my neck (a lot more frizz than pre-Wen). I hope that makes sense. It's like I'm wearing a frizz cap! mid shaft and ends isn't as frizzy, very little frizz actually. It doesn't matter how many pumps I use and I follow all the instructions I've found online and in videos and on QVC. I have also tried using the tea tree mist (still frizzes) and styling cream 613 (still frizzes).

Any suggestions or ideas of why it looks like I'm wearing a frizz cap?!?! It's driving me crazy. I also don't rub my hair dry with the towel or wring the water out of my hair after cleansing. I gently wrap the towel around my head and wear it while I apply my make up and then gently remove the towel and blow dry my bangs - the rest of my hair air dries.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Help Please -- top layer super frizzy

Isn't 613 the one with protein? I know I cannot use protein products that often. Have you tried just using the Tea Tree by itself?

Trusted Contributor

Try not using the 613, people have been saying it can be drying. I'm going to do the same thing. It's supposed to be a treatment, but apparently can have the reverse effect. I have tried several Wen "flavors" and have just about given up. I thought I had a hit with the Bamboo Green Tea and 613, but now not so sure. I've said many times, just like any other product, Wen doesn't work for everyone.
Contributor

I've had that same issue with other scents and realized it was because I wasn't putting in 2 pumps (my hair is long) as a leave in conditioner. I thought that it would make my hair feel weighed down but finally decided to do it and it does make a huge difference. It doesn't weigh down my hair or make it greasy either. Also, Chaz had mentioned not to use regular bath towels to dry your hair or wrap your hair because of the fibers. He said to use an old t-shirt. I also did that and it made a big difference.

New Contributor

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses and advice! The frizz happens with the tea tree and the 613. I use the tea tree mostly and the 613 once a week. I will stop using the 613 all together. I will also try wrapping in a t-shirt and the leave in - I have been using 1/2 to 1 pump - my hair is maybe 1.5 to 2 inches past my shoulder. Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

omg

Respected Contributor

What size bottle are you using? My two thoughts are that TT/613 might just not be the right formula for you or that the above posters are onto something with needing more leave-in. 613 gives me frizz too if I use too much or use it too often, and some people find TT drying because of the properties of the TT essential oil. But if you're only using 1/2 to 1 pump from the 16oz bottle for your leave-in I could definitely see that not being enough (wavy/curly hair tends to need more moisture). My hair is past my shoulders but curly and very coarse and thick...I use 2-4 pumps from the 32oz bottle for my leave-in. Fig is the most moisturizing so it's the one I always use for my leave-in conditioner.

Super Contributor

I can't use TT and 613 together, although I love them both individually. My best combo is TT and Fig (which has a lot of moisture).

Respected Contributor

Fig is the most moisturizing formula and helps prevent frizz. I know because I have dry frizzy long hair and I understand the frustration that you are going through. I know there is a lot of hype with TT. Sounds like Fig might be best for you and your daughter. Just make sure you use enough. You can also try Kids Strawberry Banana which is also moisturizing. Try the Fig Oil as well. There is a combo of Fig Oil and Remoist that is a good price. Good Luck.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) would work better since I think it's rice-based? 613 is soy-based and Tea Tree is wheat-based. Perhaps your hair will like that formula best. Lots of people are loving it and they have trouble keeping it in stock. I love it but most of the CCs work fine for me and my hair is fine and straight. Give BGT a try. Many Wenners say they had to find the product that worked best for them and sometimes that even changed after they cut off the last of their ""poo"" hair .

And make sure you are applying enough product to that part of your hair. Sometimes there is a lot of emphasis on your ends and if you forget to work your scalp really well maybe it will cause your top hair to be more frizzy than the rest.

KJPA