Contributor

I am relatively new to using Wen (a month or so) and am loving the results of the conditioning cleanser (I have SAM and CA). I have long, fine hair that is prone to getting oily by the next day. Prior to using Wen, I was using a sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner with pretty good results on how my hair looked, but I'm really trying to find a way to wash my hair less often. The other thing I was doing was a homemade castor oil scalp treatment and argan oil on my ends 1-2 times per week and on those days and the day after, my hair looked GREAT! Super shiny, bouncy and less oily. I'd like to keep doing the castor & argan oil, but I'm worried the Wen won't get it out. I've been shampoo-free for 2 weeks and I'd like to stay that way! Has anybody had any experience washing castor oil out with the conditioning cleanser?? I might just bite the bullet and try it myself this weekend but I'm curious to know if other people do any DIY oil treatments. Eventually I think I'll try the Wen oil but it's not in my budget right now.

Respected Contributor

Re: Castor or Argan oil + Wen

I can't speak about whether it will cleanse out castor oil, because I have never tried it. My guess is yes because the cleansing conditioners cleanse out the Wen oils wonderfully. The Wen oils have Argan oil in them. Maybe someone else that has tried it will chime in here. Good luck.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Honored Contributor

No, I haven't. Castor oil definitely feels stickier than other oils, but I think it would still work. I've had trouble getting coconut oil out in the past, even with regular shampoo, but WEN has always washed coconut oil out of my hair without problems.

When I wash after an oil treatment, I make sure that I use enough product and leave it in longer than I do on days when I don't oil treat. I usually make sure I do a second cleanse on those days, but once I didn't have time and just left my first cleanse on while I washed the rest of me and then rinsed it out and I had no oily residue.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Wen will remove the oils.

I used non-Wen oils (silicones, castor oil, etc.) when I first started Wenning, and Wen removed the product build up on the first cleanse.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Contributor

I agree with all previous comments that WEN will wash out any pre-wash oil treatments. I do it all the time with WEN oils, coconut oil, and a variety of other oil treatments. My only added suggestion is to do a thorough rinsing on your hair with warm water prior to your first cleanse with WEN. I feel that it helps ensure that any oil or product build-up is removed then with your first cleansing. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

kh27, while I haven't used castor oil on my hair, I have used both coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil on my hair. Both come out very easily using just the Wen TT and CA CCs.

After putting an oil though your hair, I'd recommend using either the Wen TT or CA cleansing conditioner:

* CA -- most astringent/clarifying; Chaz specifically formulated it for teenagers with very oily scalps (due to hormonal fluctuations)

* TT -- TT oil is an emulsifying ingredient which means it has the ability to more easily remove excess oil from your scalp.

Best of luck!!!

-- bebe Smile

Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2014 hennypenny3 said:

I agree with all previous comments that WEN will wash out any pre-wash oil treatments. I do it all the time with WEN oils, coconut oil, and a variety of other oil treatments. My only added suggestion is to do a thorough rinsing on your hair with warm water prior to your first cleanse with WEN. I feel that it helps ensure that any oil or product build-up is removed then with your first cleansing. Good luck.

I agree! I usually thoroughly saturate my hair with warm water and massage the oils into my scalp and through my hair before I add my WEN.

Honored Contributor

I tested castor oil last night. I had just bought a bottle over the weekend for an eyelash serum, so I thought I'd give it a try. I did use my WEN oils first, then added the castor oil to my scalp after the WEN oils. The castor oil definitely felt heavier and my hair looked and felt a lot greasier than it does with just the WEN oils. I went to bed and in the morning it still felt heavy and I worried enough that I dug up a sample of shampoo that came in a Birchbox and put it in my shower, just in case. But good news, the WEN got it out without trouble!

I did saturate my hair with warm water and massaged the oils and rinsed well, first. I used Fig on my length ad Tea Tree on my scalp for my first cleanse and Spring Orange Blossom for my second cleanse. Usually I don't do another scalp massage with my second cleanse, but this time I did a little extra, just in case. My hair came out clean and not looking or feeling greasy or weighed down.

Contributor

I wanted to follow-up with my castor oil experience too, I finally got around to trying it. I had been using castor oil prior to starting Wen so I was used to using a thicker oil on my hair and I knew shampoo would get it out and my hair would look great, but I wasn't so sure the Wen would- I'm very pleased to say that like ChynnaBlue, I also had a good experience and no issues with it leaving my hair greasy. It was a little time consuming to wash out but still reasonable- I spent an extra minute or two rinsing under warm water prior to my first cleansing, a few extra pumps and an extra minute or two scrubbing during the first cleanse.

For anyone interested in trying it, I would highly recommend castor oil as it's very low cost and you can google all the benefits- for me, I have seen increased shine and hair growth of about 3/4th-1" per month when I was using it 2-3 nights per week overnight (this was with shampoo). Like ChynnaBlue, I also use it on my upper eyelashe line and have seen a significant increase in length and a little bit in fullness of my lashes.

I purchased a large bottle of high-quality cold-pressed castor oil from a local apothacary for maybe $6-7 and as mentioned, it's a very thick oil so I dilute it with another thinner oil to make it easier to distribute on my scalp. I use a product called Aura Glow (Almond) which can be purchased at natural/health food stores and is primarily peanut oil based but you can also use coconut oil or even olive oil which is supposed to be best for dry hair/scalps. The castor oil is mostly beneficial for your scalp, so I make sure my scalp is well-coated and massage it in well but I don't distribute it throughout the length since it is so thick and time-consuming to wash out. For the length and ends, I put a dropper of Josie Maran Argan oil on and then pull it back in a bun and leave it overnight. **Castor oil can leave stains so I use a special pillow and pillowcase to not ruin my good things.

I think next time I will try a drop or two of tea tree oil in it since I have it on hand. I still want to try the Wen oil but I'm trying to use up the products I already have while I save up some $$ for my next QVC order.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you came back and posted again, kh27! I had a bottle of WEN Tea Tree oil that only had about one ounce left, so I mixed some of my castor oil in there and I've used that several times since you originally posted, including last night. I haven't used it long enough to say I've seen growth, but I feel like it's a good addition and I'll keep refilling that bottle with a mix of WEN Tea Tree and castor oil.