Respected Contributor

I am trying my last attempt at WEN. I am using Fig because I feel like my hair is dry and seems damaged or something. I do color treat to cover gray.

I did exactly what the bottle said. I did split the pumps and did the two washes. I put a little bit as a leave in.

I didn't like how my hair felt. It felt gummy for a lack of a better description. I don't think I will use it as a leave in.

Last night I just used all the pumps in one cleanse and no leave in. I used Nick Chavez Plump n Thick like I have for years as a leave in.

I am looking for my hair to feel more healthy. This feels a lot better, but am I missing the boat on doing it right?

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

I think either way can work, and it's okay to experiment to find what works for you. When I started WEN, I only did a single cleanse and had good results. However, I recently started doing the double cleanse because I added oil to my routine and really wanted to be sure I wasn't going to end up looking greasy. My hair looks great--I almost hate to admit it, LOL, but it does look better with the double cleanse than it did with the single cleanse.

If you're sure Fig is the right formula for you, a "gummy" feel to me says that either you didn't use enough product when you cleansed or perhaps you did not rinse it all out. I'd probably play around with those two factors and see if changing it up makes a difference.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I can't do the double cleanse because when I split the amount of pumps I end up with sticky feeling hair. I have determined that I really need to use all the pumps at once to build up a nice froth and leave my hair silky and clean. Of course I could double the pumps to do two cleanses but I would be going through way too much Wen and would blow my budget.

Super Contributor

I use many more pumps than is recommended on the bottle. It sounds like the 2nd time you used the product (when you used all the pumps at once) was probably the correct amount for your hair. I use Fig, and have extremely thick hair slightly past my shoulders. I use ~12 pumps (32 ounce bottle) for first cleanse and if I do a second cleanse, I only use about 6 pumps. I use 1 pump as the leave in, but didn't for many years and my hair looked fine. Many people don't do 2 cleanses, but the key is getting at least one cleanse right. For me that's lots of pumps, add water, add maybe a few more pumps, add more water, work it all in until it's very FROTHY, then let it sit and rinse really well. In my experience, if you aren't able to work up a good froth, you're not getting the hair clean and results will be bad. I gave WEN many different tries over the years until I figured it out.

Contributor

My hair is quite different from yours; I have thin/fine hair and an oily scalp.

I agree with glitzandglam that it is important to:
a) find the right formula for your hair
b) make sure you rinse your hair thoroughly

I only cleanse once daily due to time constraints in the morning but have tried two cleanses on occasion. I know Chaz says to cleanse, rinse, and repeat but I find that my hair comes out almost TOO soft when I do that. I do not use the Cleansing Conditioner as a leave-in but I do use the Styling Creme before I blow dry and that seems to be enough of a leave-in for my hair.

I've found that you just need to try different formulas and methods before you come to the right one. I recommend getting one of the discovery kits to test all of the formulas.

Super Contributor

I have used WEN for several (maybe 5?) years. I eased into it, at first only using it as my conditioner after regular shampoo before I switched to exclusively using WEN.

That said - originally the recommendation was one cleanse. I tried the double, but it just didn't work as well for me. I have also tried the leave-in, but no combination works for me. I get many compliments on my hair (not only the look, but the condition of it) so I must be doing something right.

IMO - you are not missing out on anything by doing one cleanse and no leave-in (although I do use the styling creme, which is a leave in).

Michele

Respected Contributor

I think the gumminess has to do with using some as a leave in. I hated the feel of it.

But I didn't style it, so maybe it would have looked good even if it didn't feel good!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I just did one cleanse for a long time and still do when I'm in a hurry. The key is really using enough and leaving it on long enough because it doesn't have the strong surfactants of a shampoo. Your hair doesn't know how many cleanses you're doing.

I choose to do two most days so that I can mix and match for benefits or scent enjoyment and haven't noticed any difference in performance since I moved from one to two cleanses.

Respected Contributor
I think it is so important to try different numbers of pumps until you get it right. If I don't use enough my hair doesn't get clean and gets greasy. If I use too much, my hair gets frizzy and dry feeling. When I use just the right amount, my hair feels great. My hair is just above my shoulders. I use 9 pumps for the first cleanse and 9 pumps for the second cleanse. This is the amount that works for me. Keep trying, you will get it. Good luck.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Respected Contributor
On 3/31/2014 hyacinth003 said:

I think the gumminess has to do with using some as a leave in. I hated the feel of it.

But I didn't style it, so maybe it would have looked good even if it didn't feel good!

Hyacinth

I don't know about this...I always use fig as my leave-in and "gummy" is not a word I'd use at all. My hair has felt "gummy" when I used too much SC. Or recently I had to use aerosol hairspray and a lot of it for a couple days in a row, and I could tell I hadn't cleansed it all out because my hair felt gummy after it dried. So that makes me wonder if maybe it wasn't fully rinsed or you didn't use enough (regardless of one cleanse or two). But do you use a leave-in conditioner when you don't use WEN?