Guaranteed Delivery
99 Members and 16089 Guests Online

WEN

Sludgy residue in tub

Started 1388419182.4 in WEN | Last reply 1388647350.627 by ChynnaBlue

I just finished a bottle of Fall Apple Spice, although I strongly disliked the scent (although this is not what this post is about). In addition to the issue with the scent, I noticed that it left a sludgy substance in my shower that was hard to wash down/clean up. I've been using WEN for years and don't think I've noticed that before with any other product. But I thought I'd ask you experts -- are there certain scents where you've found this happens? I don't want to order another like this if possible. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2
geezerette1388421030.723722 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008

I've found that the original cleansing conditioners leave more of a residue on my shower floor than either the seasonals or the 613. 613 leaves the least, in my experience. But it's definitely more than any type of traditional shampoo or conditioner.

redtabby1388422824.1833743 PostsRegistered 8/18/2005
I have not noticed a difference in the film on the tub, I will say the Magic Eraser (any brand) does a great job on the film.

susan_ca1388424189.982187 PostsRegistered 4/18/2013

In addition to a lot of hair in the drain, the residue of the product clogs it (the drain) much faster than when I do not use WEN.

When I use only WEN, I need to clean my drain at least twice per week.

When I use regular shampoo and conditioner, I clean my drain perhaps once per month.... if that.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack-Up" (1936)

chickenmoo1388425300.1232071 PostsRegistered 6/8/2012Outside of Buffalo,NY

Nope--no clogged sink and no more film than I get from any other hair product...

~Love my Leonberger~

FinnyMinny1388425624.9819 PostsRegistered 9/1/2013CA

I use only Wen and my drain is never clogged -- either with hair or with product. The drips that accumulate on the shower walls are also actually easier to clean than when I used shampoo, IMO. AND, lately my cat has been licking the shower walls, so between my Wen, my SheaMoisture body wash, and the coconut oil that I apply as an all-over moisturizer before I get out of the shower, I must be using something VERY tasty!! LOL!

viwanton1388426178.047814 PostsRegistered 11/26/2011

Nope, never had this happen with any of the cleansers

viwanton1388426240.893814 PostsRegistered 11/26/2011
On 12/30/2013 susan_ca said:

In addition to a lot of hair in the drain, the residue of the product clogs it (the drain) much faster than when I do not use WEN.

When I use regular shampoo and conditioner, I clean my drain perhaps once per month.... if that.

There must be something wrong with your drains. I've lived in the same place for over a decade and have NEVER had to "clean" a drain.

Qwerty1388426319.26219 PostsRegistered 12/18/2004

I get the sludge, but I tend to use a ton of product, and my drain perpetually runs very very slowly. I don't think WEN has made any difference with clogging, as I can't even remember the last time I had one. I'll have to pay attention to see if some scents are worse than others in the sludge dept. At least it's usually great-smelling sludge.

I agree that the seasonal scents I've used so far (FAS and WCM) are more strongly scented than I prefer, so I have a better experience when I mix/dilute them with a more neutral (to my nose) scent like Kid's Apple, or SAM, or BGT.

jaxs mom1388428237.5475625 PostsRegistered 4/18/2012

I've been using Wen exclusively for over a year and a half and no clogged drains or residue and I'm using 4oz of product when I wash my hair.

Qwerty1388428536.357219 PostsRegistered 12/18/2004

I use about a half cup of CC per cleansing, so I'm probably in the 4 oz range, too.

Qwerty1388428580.063219 PostsRegistered 12/18/2004

4 oz total, not 4 + 4, is what I mean.

HiLo1388431220.276753 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

Same with my drains; they clog. Mine is 22 year old plumbing but it had never clogged before.usingWen. After a few uses I noticed the drains were running slow; put drain cleaner in till they were running clear again and after a few more treatments with Wen it starting clogging again. No more Wen for me. It definitely creates sludge in bottom of tub.

susan_ca1388431343.4172187 PostsRegistered 4/18/2013
On 12/30/2013 viwanton said:

There must be something wrong with your drains. I've lived in the same place for over a decade and have NEVER had to "clean" a drain.

Why don't you let ME OWN the problem I am having instead of YOU feel the need to INVALIDATE it?!?!

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack-Up" (1936)

viwanton1388431738.923814 PostsRegistered 11/26/2011

Why don't you let ME OWN the problem I am having instead of YOU feel the need to INVALIDATE it?!?!

Most of the people posting here have not had your problem. What a temper!

okiebug1388432723.784276 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008
On 12/30/2013 FinnyMinny said:

I use only Wen and my drain is never clogged -- either with hair or with product. The drips that accumulate on the shower walls are also actually easier to clean than when I used shampoo, IMO. AND, lately my cat has been licking the shower walls, so between my Wen, my SheaMoisture body wash, and the coconut oil that I apply as an all-over moisturizer before I get out of the shower, I must be using something VERY tasty!! LOL!

LOL! I've caught my cat in my shower a few times - now it makes me wonder what she's been doing.

I have used WEN exclusively for close to 8 yrs now and never had a clogged drain - we're on a septic system and have had no issues. Once I stopped using Philosophy 3-in-1 shower gel, I don't have a residue on my walls or glass door.

When I fell in the shower a few months ago (stupidly stepped on the towel and literally pulled my feet out from under myself) DH was really concerned and very thoughtfully bought me a "non-slip" shower mat - an outdoor entryway sisal mat - {#emotions_dlg.blush}. It goes over the drain and slows the water so it's getting a build up around it. I think the sludge is just about thick enough I can say it worked great but it needs to be replaced and find something a little more conventional. At least he didn't bring home the astro-turf mat he said he was thinking about - ouch!

FluffyBear1388432954.103334 PostsRegistered 8/30/2013
I've been using Wen for over 3 years. The first two years of my when I lived in two different apartments and had no drain issues. In the last year I moved to a third apartment and I have to use Draino about once every 3 months bc I get the same sludgy gunk clogging it. Once I use the Draino, the sludge clears and the it drains perfectly. So in my experience, it varies from drain to drain. I use FIG, TT, 613, and every seasonal that has come out. I dont mind the extra hassle bc my hair looks fabulous! And I think that the reason shampoos dont do this is because the harsh detergents are constantly clarifying any oils that may build up.

jaxs mom1388436392.165625 PostsRegistered 4/18/2012

You aren't owning the problem. You're passing the blame onto the product. How does the product miraculously change in your drain than in the rest of ours that don't have that problem?

okiebug1388439394.9034276 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008

You need to own the problem and get a plumber to fix it. Having to clean a drain once a month means there's something wrong with it, not the product that's going down it.

Denise fro­m Canada1388440456.7471913 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011Northern Alberta
I live in an older house and in three years of using wen, have never had drain issues nor "sludge" left in the shower or tub. No matter what products used we always rinse out the shower or tub after using it just to have a clean surface for next use.

Love my Life, Love my Husband, Love my Family, Love my Friends, Love my Fur Babies, Love my Garden, Love homemade Ice Cream and Love my Wen!

JeanLouise­Finch1388441089.3211593 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Two WEN users in this house - been using over two years and we each cleanse several times a week. We have no drain issues. Who's to say it's WEN's fault? What else might be going down that drain? Bath oils? Bubble bath? Body wash? Shaving cream? Hair build up? Surprise...before I ever used WEN, the drain in our master bath would slow down at times and I'd have to use my little unclogging thingy to pull out a clump of hair. It happens folks. Drains do need attention at times, but if it's an ongoing problem it could be a plumbing situation and as okiebug pointed out, not what's going down the drain.

Notice this is the OP's first post. Doesn't anyone else find it odd that she's been using WEN for years and just happened to find her way to the forum now? Or that's she's only posted her question and not returned?

Treeinwind1388448596.042955 PostsRegistered 2/6/2009

Cleaning out the drain is gross, but I have really long hair and I lose a few strands down the drain every day! I have to go and pull it out every few months. GROSS, but the alternative is a crew cut or a very short hair cut. I'll just keep cleaning the drain thank you.

I have noticed that I get blobs of goo on the sides of the shower if I comb through fast, but it rinses right off. I don't miss all the soap scum in the shower though! That is actually much much better since I seldom use soap. If you talk to a plumber (and I have) soap is the worst thing for a drain, not hair! My plumber said the soap builds up on the hair and that is what makes a clog. My drains are better for using Wen as is the planet I am sure! I feel a lot better about the CC in the water system than the soaps!

Treeinwind1388448711.2632955 PostsRegistered 2/6/2009
On 12/30/2013 Denise from Canada said: I live in an older house and in three years of using wen, have never had drain issues nor "sludge" left in the shower or tub. No matter what products used we always rinse out the shower or tub after using it just to have a clean surface for next use.

Yes! Rinsing it out after a shower also keeps the Wen bar clean!

FinnyMinny1388461931.05819 PostsRegistered 9/1/2013CA

You know what works REALLY well on a slow drain: baking soda and white vinegar, followed by boiling water. It's super cheap and doesn't cause any of the damage that many drain cleaners can. You have to wait til the water has all gone down, and then dump a bunch of baking soda in there, then glug some white vinegar on top. Then let it do it's thing while you boil a big pot of water. By the time the water is done boiling, the fizzy bubbles will have died down, and you can dump the boiling water straight down the drain. I had a slow drain for a long time and I had to keep doing this. It worked wonderfully!! Then I took the drain apart and realized that part of it had been installed upsidedown, so when I put it back together correctly the water could drain properly and didn't have a chance for stuff to accumulate and cause the slow drain I'd been experiencing. I also use baking soda and white vinegar to clean pet stains on the rug -- no scrubbing required!!!

HappyDaze1388467576.66317383 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

Is Chaz on soon? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Drythe1388467781.4672653 PostsRegistered 10/10/2007The South

HAPPYDAZE - my thought exactly! {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

"Animals are not our whole world, but they have made our world whole" ~ Roger Caras🐾

Page 1 of 2