The Joy of Christmas
134 Members and 16981 Guests Online

WEN

WEN and curly hair

Started 1372886055.81 in WEN | Last reply 1373041140.157 by pickles123

Now that things have calmed down a bit, I hope we can discuss this.

I have been using WEN for a while now and I feel that curlies are being neglected a bit. Chaz, I would love if you would concentrate a little longer on your curly model demonstrating or telling what you do from start to finish. You notice he hardly ever touches her hair. Also, there are better products out there for syling creme for curly girls. I know you don't need to make a whole line for us; but, we need a few better products for curly hair. What do you other curlies think?

Page 1 of 1
HappyMaui1372887028.35348 PostsRegistered 12/8/2012Maui

Maybe not enough of us curly girls have asked for this from Wen. Maybe what we need is more and better info for curlies. I know from reading this forum that there are many curly girls using Wen, can we ask you to share your tips and tricks?

I'm still working on finding the perfect CC blend for my dry, roots tinted, ribbons of color added, mid back length, probably 3b hair.

BeagleMama1372889566.387709 PostsRegistered 3/7/2006

I wouldn't say that he doesn't touch their hair, but he certainly doesn't run his fingers through it like he does for the straight haired models - but that is likely because he doesn't want to mess up the curl definition. I know that for me, the less that I touch my hair (other than scrunching it) the better my curls look.

With that said, I would also like for Chaz to share more info on how he achieves the looks he gets with the curly haired models. Does he use more of a leave in? Do they air dry, or does he blow dry - and if so, how? What styling products does he use, specifically for curly hair?

There are tutorials out there where they go into more detail with the cleansing and styling of Katia's hair, but I wonder if the routine is any different for different ethnicities with curly hair.

ChynnaBlue1372889762.6634741 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

I don't know how often he checks the forums, but he's on Twitter all the time and posts on the Chaz Dean and WEN Chaz Dean Facebook pages frequently. You might have a better chance of reaching him if you go where he is.

MissKlynn1372891381.792533 PostsRegistered 6/22/2012

I'm a curly girl and this is the routine I use, I have long hair:

Half pump 613 CC as leave-in conditioner, comb through.

1 pump styling cream with 4 pumps glossing serum, mixed in hand and apply on half side of hair then repeat for the other side. Applied to soaking wet hair, I rake it through then twist and squeeze it in.

5 pumps of mousse on each side of head, rake it through then twist and squeeze it in. Few extra pumps on the top and in the back.

The mousse is the best thing for curly hair! It really gives definition and hold to your curls.

I leave my hair twisted in sections while it air dries (or sometimes use a diffuser on my hair dryer). After it's dry, I flip my head and tossle from the roots to break up the twisted sections. Perfect curls!

WEN: Shoulder length thick naturally curly hair, brunette with deep red highlights.
SKIN: Mid 30's, sensitive combo skin.

jazzbabe1372892674.4672742 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007
On 7/3/2013 BeagleMama said:

I wouldn't say that he doesn't touch their hair, but he certainly doesn't run his fingers through it like he does for the straight haired models - but that is likely because he doesn't want to mess up the curl definition. I know that for me, the less that I touch my hair (other than scrunching it) the better my curls look.

With that said, I would also like for Chaz to share more info on how he achieves the looks he gets with the curly haired models. Does he use more of a leave in? Do they air dry, or does he blow dry - and if so, how? What styling products does he use, specifically for curly hair?

There are tutorials out there where they go into more detail with the cleansing and styling of Katia's hair, but I wonder if the routine is any different for different ethnicities with curly hair.

Ethnicity has nothing to do with which hair routine works - it really depends on what type of curl you have ( 2, 3b, 4a, etc.) hair porsoity, thickness and length.

pickles1231372893300.92582 PostsRegistered 10/23/2012

I am glad there are some responses to this. I love all the ways you all are doing your curly hair. Sorry I don't have facebook or twitter because I know there are a lot of us curlies out there. I would love Chaz to know. If someone has either twitter or facebook please mention this to him.

I also know why he doesn't touch her hair. I even use a special towel so as not to ruffle the cuticle of my hair. No touching when curly hair is drying is one of the golden rules.

I use my regular routine of WEN (whatever works for you) but instead of the WEN SC cream I use Aveda Be Curly, curl enhancer. It doesn't make your hair curlier it just makes more defined moister curls. I hate to even mention Aveda because I am not fond of ordering from them. This curl enhancer is wheat based so not good for everyone.

I do love the WEN mousse and glossing serum. But curlies always know we can use more moisture.

I think I read someone mention they used a Deva curl product in with the WEN. So there is a need.

Thanks everyone.

Kokathy1372894828.0332930 PostsRegistered 6/9/2012

I don't know my curl number, my curl varies depending on the humidity, sometimes it super curly likr Roseanna's (the gray haired model) and sometimes it can be a looser.

The main formulations I use are Pomegranate and Fig. Sometimes I toss in some 613, a seasonal or I am starting to work tea tree in. I always use it as a leave in and I make to comb it through when I wash and incorporate it.

His mousse doesn't work that well for me. I am still experimenting with the 613 mousse but I am not a huge fan of it.

With his regular styling creme I need at least 4 pumps and a few drops of his oils.

Then I can choose whether to air dry or diffuse dry.

I'm just a gal trying to take over the world.

jazzbabe1372895654.3432742 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007

Pickles 123, I have been experimenting with adding the Deva curl gel to different Wen styling products. I feel I need the extra hold and curl definition, especially in this humidity.

pickles1231372896586.9582 PostsRegistered 10/23/2012

Jazzbabe, I haven't used the Deva Curl yet because I have had luck with the Aveda but I would like to try it because it is easier for me to purchase. I need that little extra too. Thanks

MissKlynn1372901157.9372533 PostsRegistered 6/22/2012

Hi pickles,

I used the Aveda Be Curly for years, that is a great product and smells amazing! I was almost about to go back to it after some disappointment with the Wen styling products, but then I finally found the combo I mentioned above works just as well.

I also tried Deva Curl before I used Wen and didn't like it at all. I had the full regimen in supersize bottles but it left my hair dry and flat... didn't help my curls at all. I caught a show of Carol's Daughter earlier today on HSN and I looked at the curly haired models and thought their hair looked terrible... stringy and crunchy! Their hair looked exactly like how Deva Curl left my hair.

But hey we all need to find what works for us right. I think Chaz has products for us, but agree he could do more videos or demos to help the curlies out there ;)

WEN: Shoulder length thick naturally curly hair, brunette with deep red highlights.
SKIN: Mid 30's, sensitive combo skin.

WenGirl421372901995.272228 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012
That may have been me! I have past-the-shoulder 2A-3B hair that is thick, coarse, and porous. I got a "Curly Girl" (DEVA) cut last December and it was the best thing I ever did for my hair. I use a DEVACurl gel after every cleanse no matter what. I haven't found anything in the WEN lineup that is as good at helping my curls clump. I'm still experimenting too (seems like a never ending process!) but here is my current routine. First cleanse CA or FIG or seasonal (or some combination of those), sometimes with 1 pump 613 added to ends only. Second cleanse FIG always. Rinse forever. I sometimes comb the CC through, and sometimes comb during rinsing, for one or both cleanses. To soaking wet hair I add 2-2/12 pumps (32oz) of FIG CC as a leave-in and finger comb it through, working it into my hair. If I feel like I've disturbed/separated my hair too much I rinse it really quick again under the shower. I use 1 1/2 to 2 pumps of Fig SC plus a few drops of old SAM oil and scrunch/squeeze it into my hair. Then I either add the mousse (8 pumps in total gently squeezed into one half of my hair at a time) or I just gently squeeze out extra moisture while scrunching my hair in the shower. Then I get out of the shower and use an old cotton t-shirt to squeeze the rest of the excess water out, and I add 3 nickel-to-quarter size glops of the DEVACurl Ultra Defining gel or Light Defining Gel (ANGel)...first to the bottom, scrunching it in, then the sides, then I try to get further up the hair shaft/closer to the hairline without running my fingers through it. Then I flip my hair right-side-up and add a few (5-7) duckbill clips at my left-side-part and to clip the hair away from my face (to influence the direction it dries in). Usually then it is about a half hour later that I diffuse dry (on low heat/low speed to look its best, or on med heat/low speed if I'm in more of a hurry) until it's totally dry, then I flip my head over and gently scrub my scalp to break up the "wet look" and leave me with soft, defined curls. To save time I will often cleanse at night, just doing the first cleanse and then leaving the second cleanse in overnight (sleeping in a plastic shower cap) or using more CC for a single cleanse and doing a ReMoist treatment overnight. Then when I wake up I can just rinse and start from there with the leave-in, etc. I do find that my hair soaks up the CC or RM overnight and it rinses much quicker in the morning. I cleanse 2-3 times per week. Sometimes I do an oil treatment a few hours before I cleanse or I leave oil in my hair/on my scalp and cleanse in the morning.

WenGirl421372902750.9272228 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012
Wow that was a lot of words haha! Sorry, I'm on an iPad, so no paragraph breaks. But I wanted to mention that I definitely notice a difference in how some of the formulas affect my curls. LAV makes the looser curl parts of my hair even straighter so they stick out in funny ways. Even if i just use a tiny bit mixed into the first cleanse only. And the Kids Strawberry Banana accentuated my curls to an almost absurd degree, but also left me flyaway frizzy. And I have the DEVACurl No-Poo and One Condition, but I like WEN better for cleansing and conditioning. I do reach for the No-Poo on the first cleanse if I'm in a hurry, because I don't have to use as much and it rinses faster.

GreenandTan1372905769.4131140 PostsRegistered 5/29/2013Sunnyville, FL

I have a confession....I love curly hair {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}. I love it so much i would consider getting a PERM! I have thought about it so much ive talked to my stylist/friend and she says why not? its just hair....and perms are not as harsh as they used to be and what not. I think with my skin coloring(tan) eye color(green) it would actually look good. Im just worried about the upkeep and it ruining my hair in the long run and then i read the forums and people with curly hair really do have to do more to it. At this point i can just wash and go...no extra steps... Im torn!?

pickles1231372905907.03582 PostsRegistered 10/23/2012

Thanks for all the responses. I will try them all. I have copied them into a file for myself.

I think there is a place for a new WEN product for curly girls. I don't know if Chaz thinks so. (lol) But, it sure would be nice to have one product that would work like Aveda's curl enhancer.

I have used the duck bill clips standing on the side for direction and height. That works great. I have also used the bend over and ruffle your hair technique. Also a good technique.

Sounds like many have read Curly Girl handbook. If you have curly hair and you are not using a t-shirt, microfiber towel (I use curle-ease) or even paper towel you are ruffling your cuticle and making your hair more frizzy.

I have tried Carols daughters hair products and they are a little too heavy for me. I love her Almond body mousse.

I read the Diva curl hair cuts were great. My hair stylist knows how to cut my hair or I would try one.

If anyone does have facebook or twitter would you please alert Chaz to the fact that we are discussing this and their might be a wish for a new product. I bet we are not the only ones out there.

Thanks for all the great information. Keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited on 7/3/2013

Last edited on 7/3/2013

pickles1231372906294.09582 PostsRegistered 10/23/2012

Green and Tan, go for it.

People do think we curly girls have it easy; but, it is a lot of work until you get it right.

About three years ago I decided to stop all the curling and straightening and just go with my natural curl and I am very glad I did. You didn't know we had to curl our hair to get less curl I bet. In my younger years I had perms to make my hair less curly.

I do like my curly hair now. You just have learn how to do it.

GreenandTan1372907059.571140 PostsRegistered 5/29/2013Sunnyville, FL

no....iwould have never guessed you curled your already curly hair to make it less curly!!!

Tbird1372951057.86366 PostsRegistered 6/27/2006
Interesting thread! I also would like to know how Chaz treats curly and wavy hair. I have very fine hair that will curl/wave with help. I've just started using Wen again after several years of Aveda. I can't believe how good my hair looks with Wen CC and styling products. I've found that using Cc with some 613 CC works best. I rinse with cool water and blow my hair dry with Wen mousse using the concentrator and on low speed. Then I use mousse again, styling cream - just a bit- and texture balm to define the curls. Works so well! And my color is really holding too! A couple of questions though- does anyone know why Chaz recommends using the concentrator? And how about cleansing before coloring. Thanks!

GreenandTan1372951439.2571140 PostsRegistered 5/29/2013Sunnyville, FL

Hey Tbird {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} He says it doesnt burn the hair when you use a nozzle or is less likely too. Ive heard other stylists recomend this too.

Tbird1372956390.1166 PostsRegistered 6/27/2006
Thanks, GreenandTan!

Denise fro­m Canada1372973942.511860 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011Northern Alberta
I have cherub type curly hair and its very baby fine and thin. Trying to keep my hair in its natural curly shape is a pain in the butt, I have only let it grow out to chin length a few times. I usually keep it short, I have some body and can blow dry no heat and get good style. I would LOVE for Chaz to have a model with my hair type and to show how to style it to keep those wild little kid curls in shape. The styling products seem to heavy, I can only use like a tiny drop. I can scrunch, let air dry, spritz and scrunch but with out some hair spray for hold, it goes poof and frizz in a second. I would love to be a curl girl and let those things just be free but I can not seem to tame them. If I was a Chaz model and had my curly hair up there , he would do that run his hands through thing just once and my style would go poof! Last edited on 7/4/2013

Last edited on 7/4/2013

Love my Life, Love my Husband, Love my Family, Love my Friends, Love my Fur Babies, Love my Garden, Love homemade Ice Cream and Love my Wen!

pickles1231373041140.153582 PostsRegistered 10/23/2012

Yes, I think Chaz needs to give more curly girl instruction. We kind of get skipped over.

Page 1 of 1