TSV(R) Preview
155 Members and 16253 Guests Online

WEN

Make your own verison of WEN

Started 1337788985.98 in WEN | Last reply 1337854745.03 by shoptillIdrop

I posted this in a different reply thread for alternatives to WEN. Thought other might find this useful. WEN was too expensive for me. So I did research and found the closest ingredinets to WEN and I ended up with Regis Designline Tea Tree Conditioner. Sold at SuperCuts. I mix 1 cup of R D Tea Tree Conditioner with 1/3 cup of brown sugar. I get same great hair as using Wen, but at 1/3 the cost. The brown sugar is the "cleaning" agent in my recipe. I keep it stored in a plastic tub in my shower. Don't have to deal with the pumps as I know how much to just scoop, since I have already used WEN. The Designline Tea Tree conditioner really is very close to WEN ingredients.

Page 1 of 2
di-mc13377894937027 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

Neat!

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

KMBSAB1337789505.6571288 PostsRegistered 3/13/2012

I am glad that works for you.

But personnally, for me, I would not be putting sugar in my hair. I don't have the courage to try it.

Jasmine991337789725.819 PostsRegistered 9/12/2008

The brown sugar disolves completly when stirred into the conditioner. There is no grainy particles left.

LockandKey1337789916.80327 PostsRegistered 5/18/2012

I am curious how sugar cleans? How did you decide to add brown sugar to complete the recipe? I would guess you researched it somehow? Is sugar in Wen?

Jasmine991337790315.979 PostsRegistered 9/12/2008

Sugar is a cleaning agent. Body scrubs use white sugar mixed with a suspending agent so that don't disolve so quickly when used in a scrub. Brown sugar is much finer and will disolve very easily when in contact with liquid.

Pook1337790532.52917 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

If it works for you - great! I still don't see sugar as a cleaning agent - only in the capacity that it is used a scrub for skin because of the grains. if it's desolved then it has no cleaning properties and just can be skipped altogether.

Jasmine991337791265.9979 PostsRegistered 9/12/2008

Brown sugar can be used for an alternative for people who are allergic to shampoos. Can check out natural alternatives to shampoo on the internet. If you skip putting in the brown sugar to the conditioner, it wouldn't clean hair. Thought I would post for those who might want to try a alternative to WEN. I don't know if sugar is in WEN, but this does work for me at a much better price.

Lynsi011337794601.84742 PostsRegistered 11/5/2011
On 5/23/2012 Jasmine99 said:

Brown sugar can be used for an alternative for people who are allergic to shampoos. Can check out natural alternatives to shampoo on the internet. If you skip putting in the brown sugar to the conditioner, it wouldn't clean hair. Thought I would post for those who might want to try a alternative to WEN. I don't know if sugar is in WEN, but this does work for me at a much better price.

Actually this isn't true. I've cleansed my hair with various conditioners (down to Suave and Aussie brands) and my hair gets clean just fine. I just use the Wen method of cleansing and rinsing.

JeanLouise­Finch1337808453.1138923 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 5/23/2012 Lynsi01 said:

Actually this isn't true. I've cleansed my hair with various conditioners (down to Suave and Aussie brands) and my hair gets clean just fine. I just use the Wen method of cleansing and rinsing.

You're saying you get clean hair by washing it with only hair conditioner, right off the shelf, with nothing else added to it?

bruingirl1337810369.6976436 PostsRegistered 8/3/2006Los Angeles, CA
On 5/23/2012 Just MeKP said:

You're saying you get clean hair by washing it with only hair conditioner, right off the shelf, with nothing else added to it?

yes, there are lots of folks who use conditioner to "wash" their hair. Google "conditioner only wash". I've read the cheaper drugstore brands work best for this method...and I've done a bit of research online. In that bit of research shampoo is used once week, or once every 2 weeks to remove buildup. I've never read anyone say they use conditioner only and never use shampoo. Some people rave about conditioner only cleansing but a lot of times they fail to mention that they use shampoo every once in awhile. I've been using wen for almost 6 years and I've never had to use shampoo.

bruingirl

Live.....Laugh.....Love

HBNY741337812609.133350 PostsRegistered 12/1/2011
On 5/23/2012 bruingirl said:

yes, there are lots of folks who use conditioner to "wash" their hair. Google "conditioner only wash". I've read the cheaper drugstore brands work best for this method...and I've done a bit of research online. In that bit of research shampoo is used once week, or once every 2 weeks to remove buildup. I've never read anyone say they use conditioner only and never use shampoo. Some people rave about conditioner only cleansing but a lot of times they fail to mention that they use shampoo every once in awhile. I've been using wen for almost 6 years and I've never had to use shampoo.

bruingirl

Yep, also known as "co-wash".

champagnep­oodle1337812767.214015 PostsRegistered 9/26/2011

any conditioner works as good as WEN

ibb381337812852.4311370 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Tea tree itself is a cleansing agent- you started with a great base in creating your own!

AuntieA1337813904.327519 PostsRegistered 4/26/2012SF Bay Area

I didn't know I was "co-washing" my hair. I would use conditioner only for a few days and then after the build up, use shampoo and then conditioner. It worked okay for me but I still had a lot of hair breakage and days when my hair was less than optimal. Wen works far better for me and I have minimal hair breakage. I couldn't say that any conditioner worked as well as Wen does for me.

If we open our minds to enjoyment, we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side. We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam, and sit with the fairies who wait on every flower. ~ Samuel Smiles

AuntieA1337814293.137519 PostsRegistered 4/26/2012SF Bay Area

By the way, your super creative Jasmine. I hope it works well for you.

If we open our minds to enjoyment, we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side. We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam, and sit with the fairies who wait on every flower. ~ Samuel Smiles

bruingirl1337814324.5536436 PostsRegistered 8/3/2006Los Angeles, CA
On 5/23/2012 AuntieA said:

I didn't know I was "co-washing" my hair. I would use conditioner only for a few days and then after the build up, use shampoo and then conditioner. It worked okay for me but I still had a lot of hair breakage and days when my hair was less than optimal. Wen works far better for me and I have minimal hair breakage. I couldn't say that any conditioner worked as well as Wen does for me.

I never tried or knew of CO (co-wash/conditioner only wash)...I read about it on these boards. Before creating wen, Chaz would ask clients to just use conditioner to wash their hair....but they would cheat and use shampoo! LOL!!!

Live.....Laugh.....Love

Islandgirl­70321337815112.25712846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

bruingirl

I've been using only the Suave conditioner to cleanse for at least 4-5 months and never use shampoo.

I've never had any kind of build-up issue either.

bruingirl1337815620.346436 PostsRegistered 8/3/2006Los Angeles, CA
On 5/23/2012 Islandgirl7032 said:

bruingirl

I've been using only the Suave conditioner to cleanse for at least 4-5 months and never use shampoo.

I've never had any kind of build-up issue either.

congrats on not using shampoo! Hopefully you'll never have to use it again.

Live.....Laugh.....Love

JeanLouise­Finch1337818916.2938923 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Well, that is definitely a new one on me! Someday when I have no plans to go anywhere, I'm going to look around to see if we have any traditional conditioner in the house and try it. As cheap as it is, I can pick up some Suave when I'm out shopping the next time.

Nightowlz1337819717.4178814 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I might try it. Just checked & we have a Super Cuts about 5 mins from where I live. Who Knew. Did not even know we had one. I don't know how it will work for me. I hardly ever use conditioner when I shampoo because it takes forever to rinse out of my hair. I also seem to have quite a bit of hair come out when I use conditioner. I do use Ouidad or Influx spray leave in conditioner. I use Piqui Oil too.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Qvie Victo­riah1337828628.7471027 PostsRegistered 1/9/2008St. Louis, Missouri

I use Wen or any one of my fave conditioners to clean my hair. No buildup, no problem.

"Give of yourself. The return is greater that the gift."
*:)

KatCat11337829602.21315807 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

I hope you ladies use a clarifying shampoo once in a while. All that conditioning means buildup. I'm surprised your hair is not flat. I purchased WEN once and sent it back when I read the instructions. I use regular shampoo and a clarifying shampoo once in a while and my hair is manageable and shiny. I get a kick out of the WEN models who have extremely thick hair. Thick hair always looks good.

Last edited on 5/24/2012

GoodStuff1337829991.31713584 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Good Lord. I wash my hair with shampoo followed by a little conditioner and plan to continue. I want CLEAN hair! Who in the world wants to never shampoo their hair and have buildup of grease, grime, and conditioner? YECH, YECH, YECH.

Last edited on 5/24/2012

alexandraC1337843135.597742 PostsRegistered 12/4/2008Baltimore, Maryland

I've used Wen only for the past few months and have not had any buildup or hair loss issues.......just beautiful, healthy hair.....loving it!! Smile

JeanLouise­Finch1337848125.9578923 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 5/24/2012 alexandraC said:

I've used Wen only for the past few months and have not had any buildup or hair loss issues.......just beautiful, healthy hair.....loving it!! Smile

This has been my experience, too. I don't know how there could be buildup if the hair gets rinse thoroughly. And the hair loss, I don't understand that either. Some blame the menthol, but menthol is known to invigorate the scalp to encourage hair growth. But, as with anything, you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Some like WEN, some like other products. To each their own.

Page 1 of 2