Shoes & Handbags Offers
137 Members and 11926 Guests Online

WEN

New to wen--my thanks to all you lovely ladies + a henna question

Started 1308888943.223 in WEN | Last reply 1309378998.373 by GothiKim

Despite the fact (or perhaps BECAUSE of the fact) that I have multiple chemical sensitivities and my 8 YO DD is prone to eczema, I'm decided to take the plunge and try WEN for our hair. All of the tips/tricks/suggestions that you guys have posted have helped me to figure out what products to start with for both of us (SAM/Lav for me, TT for her). I thank you all for your input, whether negative or positive, as more information is almost always better than less information! I'm so glad there's a WEN forum where WENners can share their experiences without as much of the snark and negativity as can be found on some of the other forums...

Because of the hair loss cases (rare though they appear to be), I'm challenge testing both of us before full-on hair cleansing. There are some allergens/sensitizing ingredients in WEN, as there are in just about ALL hair care products, whether naturally-sourced or not. Better to be safe than sorry: eczema takes days or maybe a couple of weeks to clear--hair takes months to grow back in!

There's one thing I'm curious about though... I color with henna and have for a few years (can't use chemical color). Are there any henna-heads here on the WEN forum? I wonder about the long-term benefits of WEN with henna.

Kim******Peace, love, and Twilight

Page 1 of 1
Luia1308945164.55179 PostsRegistered 9/16/2010

Hi GothiKim, I have never used henna color myself but I know many that love it. I know that Chaz suggest that you rinse in cooler water if you color. I have read in the forum that you can call his customer service line at his shop and would be able to answer your question. As for your problems with eczema, the WEN is one of the few things that don't cause a break out for me! Hope you have just as much luck as I have.

GothiKim1308952296.59213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)
On 6/24/2011 Luia said:

I know that Chaz suggest that you rinse in cooler water if you color. I have read in the forum that you can call his customer service line at his shop and would be able to answer your question.

Cool water also helps with comb-out, since closed hair scales tangle much less than ones opened by hot water! Henna is permanently deposited into the hair, so it doesn't fade like chemical reds--one of the main benefits.

I hesitate to call customer service re: henna. Most colorists/stylists are taught during their training that henna is evil and destructive (literally), and they mostly pretend it doesn't exist...

Eeen1308984118.7372532 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009

Hi GothiKim,

I too have mutiple chemical sensitvity. It really is a daily challenge for so many reasons. As far as Wen and I have tried them all. Long story short - I can use the Tea Tree and Lavender because neither have parfum fragrance added like the others.

I wish I knew something about Henna but I do not but I would like to learn more about it because like you I can't use chemical color. Could you tell me what brand of Henna you use and where to purchase it? In fact, any recommendations you could give me on any fragrance free products you have tried would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Smile

gingi1309015734.77264 PostsRegistered 8/24/2005

I'm a henna girl (already a natural redhead but use it to blend out some of my grays), with extremely sensitive skin and couldn't get Wen to work for me. My hair and scalp were a mess. I should say I only tried the fig though. Paula Begoun's beautipedia unfavorably reviews the cleansing conditioners because she belives the essential oils and preservative system is too harsh to be used regularly (and especially left on the scalp). I honestly don't understand why many people on the boards seem to think Wen is an all natural product. It was never sold that way.

BTW www.hennapage.com is an amazing resource.

GothiKim is right many stylists don't love henna but after I had a major reaction to semiperm hair dye a few years back (the first time I'd colored) I started with the henna. Keep in mind henna only comes in shades of red. You can blend it with other botanicals like cassia to make it lighter but there is no way to get a true blond or brown with henna alone. It blends quite nicely with my already red hair and gives me the natural look I'm looking for (even my stylist is a fan now). Last time I did it I used the surya brasil brand. Just be careful as henna can easily dye your hands, scalp and towels.

Last edited on 6/25/2011

Last edited on 6/25/2011

Last edited on 6/25/2011

Last edited on 6/25/2011

GothiKim1309015939.073213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)
On 6/25/2011 lovemymimi said:

Hi GothiKim,

I too have mutiple chemical sensitvity. It really is a daily challenge for so many reasons. As far as Wen and I have tried them all. Long story short - I can use the Tea Tree and Lavender because neither have parfum fragrance added like the others.

I wish I knew something about Henna but I do not but I would like to learn more about it because like you I can't use chemical color. Could you tell me what brand of Henna you use and where to purchase it? In fact, any recommendations you could give me on any fragrance free products you have tried would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Smile

Hi lovemymimi-

I hear ya on MCS being a daily trial. I have to read the labels on everything!

I use henna from a couple of sources, but I recommend one highly because they custom-order henna from respected growers in India/Pakistan and test the product once it gets stateside: www.mehandi.com. There's a related set of pages for information on using henna, including basic instructions and a forum for support: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html. I read up on henna for a LONG time before deciding to take the plunge, since henna is so permanent! I did several tests too, to make sure that it was compatible with my hair type and would turn out a color that I was OK with. Henna isn't a quick and easy process, and good henna is not cheap, but it's my only option since PPD (coal tar dye) is one of my triggers. PPD is in almost all darker shades of chemical hair color. Mehandi.com sells samples, so it's easy to challenge test on your skin and hair to make sure henna's right for you without spending too much $$$. Read, read read, and start saving shed hair from your hairbrush, for testing :)

One fragrance-free line that I tried and liked is Jason Fragrance-Free. They make shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and bodywash. I used my own essential oils to scent it. Alba Botanicals also makes a great fragrance-free SPF 15 body lotion. Most artificial fragrances don't bother me, but I like to use EOs when I can, so I'm leaning toward WEN lav and TT.

HTH!

GothiKim1309020891.753213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)

Yea! Another henna-er! The hennapage links to mehandi.com--awesome! I'm sorry you had a bad reaction to the WEN, gingi. Skin reactions are scary--been there, done that! I agree with you, that people are assuming somehow that WEN is a totally natural product when it isn't. They're also apparently assuming that CCs are meant as overnight or leave-in scalp treatment, which isn't so either...

As far as beautypedia goes, I have to be skeptical of reviews based on ingredient lists alone with no testing or use of the product, especially when the reviewer is selling her own products on the same site. Even if there is no conflict of interest, there's the possibility of it... Paula's products look good, but even they contain ingredients that the some consumer watchdog groups (www.ewg.org) consider naughty. It's hard for us laypeople to know what's the what when the research data can be twisted to say vastly different things!

Every preservative system and every essential oil is sensitizing to someone, somewhere. That doesn't make them evil. I can't use anything with potassium sorbate in it, a naturally sourced "green" mold-inhibitor found in food and personal care products. I don't believe it's bad in general; it's just bad for me :)

Henna is red/orange and seriously permanent, as gingi stated. Henna and indigo can produce shades of warm brown and even black, if used properly. Henna and chamomile or cassia can make strawberry blond or a light red. All the various combinations of henna and other natural colorants are covered on the hennapage and hennaforhair.

One thing I'll make a blanket statement on is this: NEVER use anything packaged or labelled as "black henna." It's either straight indigo, which doesn't work alone, or it contains boatloads of PPD mixed with henna, or it can even contain turpentine with henna. UGH. These shady "henna" products are part of why henna has such a bad reputation with colorists and stylists, and why "black" henna tattoos scar people who have serious reactions to PPD or turpentine. Leave it to shady humans to go and mess up a perfectly good natural colorant by adding random junk to it and mislabelling it!

It's a messy, confusing world we live in. At least we have this place to discuss our WEN and hair-related issues in peace!

gingi1309023347.453264 PostsRegistered 8/24/2005

Hey GothiKim- I couldn't have said it better myself. You are right on.

I always take Paula's reviews with a grain of salt but in this case she was right on (for me at least). I should add that if anyone continues to have major contact dermatitis reactions or skin chemical sensitivities many dermatologists can test to tell you which ingredients are problematic for you. I did this recently and the results I received were helpful in my case.

I've used many hennas over the years and have been using the surya (powder, the creme version isn't all henna) because for me it's a convenient already mixed henna cassia blend and the kit is packaged more like regular hair color (w. gloves, bonnet etc.). Plus I live in NY City so it's relatively inexpensive and easy for me to find. Even Whole Foods carries it. I have however heard great things about the henna for hair/ Mehandi products and hope to try them in the future. I've spoken to them before and their customer service was extremely helpful. Someone also recently suggested the Light Mountain brand to me.

More on the Surya:

http://www.suryabrasil.com/en/detalhe_produto.php?id=57

Last edited on 6/25/2011

Last edited on 6/25/2011

GothiKim1309031843.063213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)
On 6/25/2011 gingi said:

Hey GothiKim- I couldn't have said it better myself. You are right on.

I always take Paula's reviews with a grain of salt but in this case she was right on (for me at least). I should add that if anyone continues to have major contact dermatitis reactions or skin chemical sensitivities many dermatologists can test to tell you which ingredients are problematic for you. I did this recently and the results I received were helpful in my case.

I've used many hennas over the years and have been using the surya (powder, the creme version isn't all henna) because for me it's a convenient already mixed henna cassia blend and the kit is packaged more like regular hair color (w. gloves, bonnet etc.). Plus I live in NY City so it's relatively inexpensive and easy for me to find. Even Whole Foods carries it. I have however heard great things about the henna for hair/ Mehandi products and hope to try them in the future. I've spoken to them before and their customer service was extremely helpful. Someone also recently suggested the Light Mountain brand to me.

More on the Surya:

http://www.suryabrasil.com/en/detalhe_produto.php?id=57

Last edited on 6/25/2011

I haven't tried Surya, but I'm glad you found something close and easy to use! I live in the boonies, and there are no Indo/Pak shops nearby :> so I order primarily from mehandi.com. I can't say enough about the quality of their henna, which is body-art quality and has an amazing sift and dye release. I've read mixed reviews on Light Mountain, but I've never tried it either. I prefer to be incomplete control of what I put on my noggin so I make my own mixes. It's like being a mad scientist in the kitchen!

Over about a year, I went through 4-5 rounds of allergy testing (followed by 2 yrs of allergy shots). My derm didn't want to challenge test me, so I went to my allergist, who was ready to--Epipen in hand, just in case. Frankly, it sucked out loud, but at least I know what I'm up against, and how much Benadryl to carry around just in case things get weird! I too would highly recommend that anyone with contact dermatitis or multiple chemical sensitivities get tested. As they said on Schoolhouse Rocks, Knowledge is Power!

Eeen1309067719.142532 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009

"Thank you" GothiKim and gingi. Sure do appreciate your time and great info!Smile

gingi1309206860.817264 PostsRegistered 8/24/2005

Mehandi.com users... Which hennas do you use from the site?

GothiKim1309227213.987213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)
On 6/27/2011 gingi said:

Mehandi.com users... Which hennas do you use from the site?

I've used the monsoon harvest Rajasthan, Yemen, Jamila, and Dark of the Moon. The Yemen I used was the lightest dye color of all of them. Raj, Jamila, and DotM were all high dye content and produced great results for me. I lean toward hennas that give a richer red- almost burgundy-result as I'm a brunette; Raj and DotM gave me that. I have a stash in the freezer of DotM and Celebration, but I haven't tried the Celebration yet (wicked high dye content!). Once I get through my older packages, I'll get on to the Celebration :) A few of the current offerings have been tested for exact dye content, so it's possible to choose the degree of color desired, relatively speaking. I don't know of any other henna supplier that does that!

Since Mehandi sells body art quality henna, the sift is amazing and is so much easier to wash out than typical henna-for-hair. No sticks or twigs :) Mehandi sells little samples that are enough to dye a sample hairball (from your brush) to check the color and texture results. That's how I got started with henna--lots of their samples dyed in little bowls!

HTH gingi!

gingi1309319259.02264 PostsRegistered 8/24/2005

It absolutely does. Thank you! At one point they suggested the BAQ2 Henna from Pakistan because of the low dye levels but I belive they no longer carry it and that the Ancient Sunrise Yemen LIGHT is the replacement. Not sure if this is the same as you've used. One more quick question. Do you find you can get away will just touching up yoour roots or do you find you need to dye your whole head everytime? I've heard their hennas get excellent dye release and some people just need to do their roots.

It's always great to hear good experiences. You've motivated me to give them a try the next time I need to restock. :)

Last edited on 6/29/2011

Last edited on 6/29/2011

GothiKim1309325220.307213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)
On 6/28/2011 gingi said:
Do you find you can get away will just touching up yoour roots or do you find you need to dye your whole head everytime. I've heard their hennas get excellent dye release and some people just need to do their roots.

Those folks aren't lying about the dye release and uptake! Once I got to the color I wanted on my length, I shifted to just doing roots every 4-6 weeks. Since my regrowth is increasingly gray, I should be coloring every 3-4 :) Too many full-head colorings with a really awesome henna will lead to a burgundy tone that's hard to lighten. Which is what I personally like, as a brunette :)

My low-tech roots coloring tip: if you can get your hands on the plastic syringes that are used for jello shots, it makes roots SO much easier! Every time we go to New Orleans I make sure to get a couple of jello shots, not for the shots, but for the syringes :) 2 of them holds EXACTLY enough for my root application.

The original Yemeni BAQ2 was what I'd tried and found to be too light for my taste. It gave me Bozo the Clown orange on my sparkly white grays, which isn't a good look for me! I bet the Yemeni Light might be just what you're looking for, gingi!

gingi1309361062.633264 PostsRegistered 8/24/2005

I've actually had my eye on those syringes. They used to sell them on the site years ago but no longer carry them.:(

As for the Bozo color on grays, that's prob my biggest concern and honestly why I haven't tried the Mehandi. I'm affraid I'll be stuck with an awful color that won't fade out over time.

GothiKim1309378998.327213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)
On 6/29/2011 gingi said:

I've actually had my eye on those syringes. They used to sell them on the site years ago but no longer carry them.:(

As for the Bozo color on grays, that's prob my biggest concern and honestly why I haven't tried the Mehandi. I'm affraid I'll be stuck with an awful color that won't fade out over time.

The dreaded Bozo orange was one of my fears, but a 2nd application deepens it to a bearable color. Get a few samples and see what works for you. I'm sure they have one that you'll love :)

I can't imagine why they stopped carrying the syringes, unless they weren't selling well because they were overpriced. And IIRC they were overpriced. A whole jello shot was about the same $$$!

Last edited on 6/29/2011

Last edited on 6/29/2011

Page 1 of 1