Honored Contributor

I know this may be a yucky subject for some, but I am very curious as I have never heard this problem addressed.

I always hear how wonderful yogurt is for the stomach and bowels because of the cultures and all. And also, since I have both IBS & osteo, I have been eating a cup of it daily --- the low fat version, of course. I tried Activia and did not notice any difference between that and any other yogurts. I did prefer Oikos Greek yogurt, but will eat just about any kind.

Any how --- here is my problem. I recently starting experiencing a lot of constipation -- worse than I have ever had with the exception of a stint of being on Iron --- and I have not changed my diet or medications, other than upping my yogurt consumption. This week I decided to not eat yogurt and see if that changed my stomach condition. My stomach problem seems a lot better. Maybe it's a coincidene??

Here's my question --- has anyone ever experienced constipation or other stomach problems from eating yogurt? Is that possible?

Thanks. I appreciate your replies.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin

Re: Yogurt and stomach problems

I would say yes, yogurt can cause these types of issues. Why do I know this. I have had some issues with constipation and other down there troubles for about 6 months + after changing my eating habits. I could not figure out what was troubling me - gas, bloating, constipation and thick pasty stools, and yogurt was the last thing in my mind that could cause this. So through the slow process of elimination with denying myself yogurt as the last item on my list, I stopped cosuming it. Hooray, the problems I was experienceing improved greatly. Now my only problem is I lve yogurt as a part of my new eating plan and have to find something comparable that doesn't give me this sort of trouble. I might also add although I am not blaming this particular yogurt is I too ate Oikos 80 calorie brand of yogurt every single day. I might try switching just because Oikos is obviously doing something to reduce the calorie content either by adding or not adding other ingredients which might be the actual problem and not the yogurt itself. Hope this helps you!

Respected Contributor

i think yogurt can cause irritation in the gut, cheese does this to me too so i avoid cheese, even cream cheese.i am lactose intolerant but i need calcium (osteopenia) so every other day i have about 3 /4 of a cup of yogurt with flax seeds, raw oatmeal and nuts.  only plain greek yogurt with no sugar (******e total  0 %)

when i made an appt with  a gastroenterologist,  he told me yogurt could be the reason for my irritable bowel. one or two days clogged up, the other days running to the bathroom

he suggested i take benefiber which i have taken but the fiber was giving me cramps so i stopped the yogurt for a while. it seemed to help. so i have yogurt but eat a lot of foods with fiber too

Esteemed Contributor

My gastroenterologist told me that at a recent conference at Columbia University, he was told that probiotics have not lived up to all their hype, according to the latest research. I don't know whether that applies to yogurt cultures but it does apply to those probiotic pills, e.g., culturelle, acidophilus, etc. I just got over intestinal MRSA and after that awful infection left me, I was still left with some symptoms. He prescribed EnteraGam, a powder I mix with water. It's allegedly more effective than probiotics. Perhaps you can check with your doctor about it. 

Honored Contributor

I was on antibiotics for over a year.... on ten days, off two weeks, another round for two weeks,  off for three... for over a year!!

But I ate a serving of yogurt every single day because I love it and have aways eaten it. My doctor exclaimed that he was astonished that I didn't have any yeast infections or other gut problems and I told him what my habits were and he said that I did the right thing without even knowing it at the time.

Today, I can't have yogurts unless they are sugar free (the only one on the market has been taken off the market locally!).... but do take a daily dose of probiotics which pretty much do the same thing.  With the gut having so much to do with our immune system it's imperative to keep the good bacteria at a good level whether it's with yogurt (preferred because it's being consumed naturally) or with another source of cultures..... whichever your doctor recommends.  He tells me that the probiotic I take is very good ....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

How about incorporating other items for a healthy gut?

Here are some recommendations below for your constipation.

Lots of fiber whereas yogurt has zero.  HTH!

image.jpeg

Respected Contributor

OP, all dairy does this to me including yogurt.  I can't eat any.  I also take a spoon full of soluable fiber in a glass of water twice a day.  Keeps my gut feeling good.  I also eat fruits and veggies, but I can't overdo.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

Thanks for this chart!  I do eat a lof these things, some I don't like and some I have never tried.  I do eat a lot of fruit and veges.  But maybe I don't eat some of the right things.  I do amit to that.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

sidsmom - You basically posted my food staples, minus a couple that I have no idea what they are.  I have also eaten yogurt for years, and am lucky to not have problems.  I have become so "addicted" to some of these foods, that it's hard for me to NOT eat this way.  I like to eat some junk food every so often, but since I have to fit these other foods in, I can't eat a lot more of anything.  Too much food for me.