Creede Silver Sale
16 Members and 12821 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Pros and Cons of Living in Denver, CO

Started 1279739534.37 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1279905052.74 by Rap2

Asked to transfer to Denver from Chicago. Anyone care to give me any advice, pro or con, re living in the Mile High City?

Page 1 of 2
peach1061279739642.821290 PostsRegistered 4/15/2007

I don't live there but my daughter does. Actually she lives in the suburbs and works in Denver. She absolutely loves it. The summers are not humid and the mountains are beautiful. Denver also has a great public transportation system. And an active night life.

I've visited her several times and I have to say, Colorado is one beautiful state.

“Dorothy, was Sophia naked just now, or does her dress really need ironing?”
- Rose Nyland

sbrcal1279739828.317245 PostsRegistered 11/2/2005Northern CA

I would agree. I grew up in Littleton which is about 20 miles outside Denver and really miss Colorado. (I now live in CA...) Revisited the city last summer and was REALLY impressed at how CLEAN the downtown area is. I would recommend. Milder winters, less humidity, lots to do.

chickenbutt1279739830.9923965 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I've never lived there, but have visited. I thought it was an absolutely lovely area.

My only complaint was that the water was undrinkable. I was travelling with another lady and several dogs (well, my one and her several), as we were there for a dog show, and we couldn't even use it for any of us. Had to buy some gallons of water for us and the dogs. It was kind of pricey to get all of us through an entire week. Otherwise - great place!

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

MopsyGirl1279739936.6332575 PostsRegistered 2/15/2008

I've never lived there, but my DH was looking at transferring a few years back and we found the cost of living high. It does look lovely, though.

Hooty1279739978.4318824 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

Only have visited, and it was beautiful in the fall, cool nights & mornings, warm afternoons!

lulu21279740020.88321308 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

Our son and his family use to live in Aurora and loved it. They were able to get more house for their money than here in NJ. The cost of living in general was much less. The only negative was he did not have the same career opportunities in CO. He came back here because there were more doors opened for him in his hometown.

Connieb1279740050.007236 PostsRegistered 11/16/2007
On 7/21/2010 peach106 said:

I don't live there but my daughter does. Actually she lives in the suburbs and works in Denver. She absolutely loves it. The summers are not humid and the mountains are beautiful. Denver also has a great public transportation system. And an active night life.

I've visited her several times and I have to say, Colorado is one beautiful state.

Can you tell me which suburb she lives in? Does she have any recommendations of one suburb over another? Thanks.

JuJu Squee­zey1279740056.85314444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

One big drawback about living there is that I don't. I have though, twice and the water was ok for drinking. I'd go back any day, best place I ever lived.

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a h ell-broth boil and bubble.
William Shakespeare

Ripley1091279740418.849346 PostsRegistered 2/1/2006

The altitude gets to some people.....It does affect lots of things you wouldn't expect.....cooking times, the way your car operates, the amount of physical things you can do.....

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

VCamp27481279740713.3377013 PostsRegistered 4/20/2006
On 7/21/2010 chickenbutt said:

I've never lived there, but have visited. I thought it was an absolutely lovely area.

My only complaint was that the water was undrinkable. I was travelling with another lady and several dogs (well, my one and her several), as we were there for a dog show, and we couldn't even use it for any of us. Had to buy some gallons of water for us and the dogs. It was kind of pricey to get all of us through an entire week. Otherwise - great place!

That's a big surprise to me! I've lived here almost all my life & if our out-of-town visitors ever said anything about our water, it was how good it is. You must have been somewhere where you weren't drinking city water. Oh, & our water is rocky mountain spring cold right out of the tap, too.

Wheatchick11279740719.2133210 PostsRegistered 12/17/2008The Merry Old Land of Oz

Only pros - NO cons

Last edited on 7/21/2010

Last edited on 7/21/2010

LIFE - it's what happens while you are busy making plans. Man makes plans - God laughs.

DrKelli1279740786.77336 PostsRegistered 3/13/2008

I live in a suburb and work in Denver. Obviously I am biased, but I love it here. I grew up in the mountains in Colorado and moved to the "city" when I went to college. Some areas of town are more expensive housing wise than others. Right now, like every where, it is a buyers market. Mountains are about an hour away. Weather is temperate and we rarely have humidity.

I don't understand the water was undrinkable comment. I drink tap water almost exclusively and don't find anything wrong with it. There is a suburb that heavily chlorinates their water which is slightly distasteful, but it isn't undrinkable. Most municipalities use Reverse Osmosis to purify their water which doesn't leave a chemical taste.

60081279740840.9672 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My daughter has lived there for about 5 years and loves it. We go every year to visit at least once. Wonderful city with many opportunities and fun things to do. Beautiful weather with much less humidity. You can get to the mountains in a short period of time, just beautiful.

peach1061279741029.2371290 PostsRegistered 4/15/2007
On 7/21/2010 Connieb said:
On 7/21/2010 peach106 said:

Can you tell me which suburb she lives in? Does she have any recommendations of one suburb over another? Thanks.

She just moved to Highlands Ranch and I don't know much about it. She just moved there from Littleton. Littleton is nice but it's a lot like many smaller cities. Lots of traffic, commercial businesses and strip malls. She seems to like where she is now. She's lived in Westminster and Arvada and I think she liked Littleton the best.

There is a beautiful town about 45 min. from Denver called Evergreen that is really nice. A lot of residents commute to Denver from there.

“Dorothy, was Sophia naked just now, or does her dress really need ironing?”
- Rose Nyland

Connieb1279742244.63236 PostsRegistered 11/16/2007

Thank you everyone. Getting recommendations from real people is so-o-o-o much better than reading a travel and tourism guide on the Internet.

Connieb1279742367.227236 PostsRegistered 11/16/2007
On 7/21/2010 DrKelli said:

I live in a suburb and work in Denver. Obviously I am biased, but I love it here. I grew up in the mountains in Colorado and moved to the "city" when I went to college. Some areas of town are more expensive housing wise than others. Right now, like every where, it is a buyers market. Mountains are about an hour away. Weather is temperate and we rarely have humidity.

I don't understand the water was undrinkable comment. I drink tap water almost exclusively and don't find anything wrong with it. There is a suburb that heavily chlorinates their water which is slightly distasteful, but it isn't undrinkable. Most municipalities use Reverse Osmosis to purify their water which doesn't leave a chemical taste.

Thank u DrKelli -- can you name your suburb and also the one that over chlorinates it's water. Where I currently live the water is like drinking from a swimming pool and I hate it. Thanks.

Debfla531279744917.04372 PostsRegistered 4/10/2008

We just got back from there, We were there 2 weeks. Our son lives in Co. springs & my sister is in Castle rock. I have been there 4 times & I do not like it. I got altitude sickness & had it for 10 days.. I noticed to that alot of people there smoke pot, Hey if thats what they want to do thats fine, But not for me.. I loved the water so cold & you do not need to use conditioner on your hair. I am not a mountain person, I need the ocean & beach. But my son & sister love it there. Deb

foundinlv21279745233.3475277 PostsRegistered 6/16/2010

There was a news story recently about the water in Colo.

Flammable Water At Colo. Home

Natural Gas Leak Taints Couple's Drinking Water, Which Ignites When Lit.

http://cbs4denver.com/local/fort.lupton.water.2.963978.html

Last edited on 7/21/2010

Last edited on 7/21/2010

Snowpuppy12797452546404 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI

I lived in Aurora (suburb) for nearly 2 years but it's been awhile!

I can tell you it's a culture change for sure for those of us from the midwest. Much more trendy/liberal than you may be used to. Culture and the economy were why we left.

Water is, or at least was a big issue. Someone may want to comment on the current economic climate. The airlines, oil and telecom were big employers then so it has probably changed. Most everyone in my development worked for one of these. I was told by a co worker that Aurora isn't as great now sadly as it once was.

School was all year (if you have kids) check their school district. Shopping is good, commutes weren't bad. You can have 60 degrees in January (chinook winds) along with bitter cold the next day. A lot of dust off the mountains 365 days a year.

If someone is a local, can you let us know if that native/semi native thing is still huge? It was when we were there.

foundinlv21279745367.925277 PostsRegistered 6/16/2010

My husband said the airport is too faraway and people get stranded there in the winter sometimes. Big inconvenience and a mystery to the locals as to why it was built so far away.

Snowpuppy1279745460.3276404 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI
On 7/21/2010 foundinlvI said:

My husband said the airport is too faraway and people get stranded there in the winter sometimes. Big inconvenience and a mystery to the locals as to why it was built so far away.

Stapleton was overgrown by leaps & bounds. I think the new airport was built for a population boom that probably hasn't taken place as they once thought.

Cardamom1279745926.9676798 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006

I used to live there. Since you are coming from Chicago winters will be a breeze!

It's lovely and the biggest PRO is that they are in a huge recession and housing is cheap there. Of course this is more relative to the suburbs because the buiders over built. We were told when they were building the E470 (ring road around the city) Denver was to be the next LA. Sadly that did not happen. But I still think housing is much cheaper in Denver than Chicago. At least what I can tell from watching House Hunters. Wink

If you love the outdoors and mountains you will love it. One of the cons for me was that I felt landlocked. I have always been able to get to the ocean relatively quickly but not there obviously.

The people there are very real and there is very little crime. Ocassionaly there were murders but not the random scary stuff you have in Chicago. So a huge pro is it is very safe, even downtown. It's a big city with a small town feel.

I still love the Broncos! I have never lived in a city with so much team spirit. There is almost no one on the roads or in the stores durng a game. This is a huge pro for me that they have a football team, basketball, hockey, baseball, very sports oriented as I am sure Chicago is so you won't miss that. You have it all there.

Last edited on 7/21/2010

Last edited on 7/21/2010

Linders Ba­ck1279746379.258608 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

CONS: The Broncos Wink and NO OCEAN!

And any city that "Welcomes" you with a statue of the "God of the Dead" when you land at the airport must have pretty weird sense of humor. (That could be a "PRO' or a "CON")

Last edited on 7/21/2010

Last edited on 7/21/2010

"SHUT UP LEGS" - Jens Voight

foundinlv21279747223.245277 PostsRegistered 6/16/2010
On 7/21/2010 Linders Back said:

And any city that "Welcomes" you with a statue of the "God of the Dead" when you land at the airport must have pretty weird sense of humor. (That could be a "PRO' or a "CON")

Last edited on 7/21/2010

My husband said that there are other very strange symbols at that airport leaving one to believe that its original intent was for something besides commercial air travel....like it was meant for government officials during a crisis of some kind that required a quick get away that would not include the masses.

Linders Ba­ck1279747455.7678608 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
On 7/21/2010 foundinlvI said:
On 7/21/2010 Linders Back said:

Last edited on 7/21/2010

My husband said that there are other very strange symbols at that airport leaving one to believe that its original intent was for something besides commercial air travel....like it was meant for government officials during a crisis of some kind that required a quick get away that would not include the masses.

The movie "things to do in Denver when you're Dead" didn't star Christopher Walken by accident. (Be sure not to run it backwards...)

"SHUT UP LEGS" - Jens Voight

Page 1 of 2