Designer Fashion Clearance
74 Members and 11983 Guests Online

Viewpoints

How can I keep neighbor's cats off my porch and porch furniture?

Started 1274027334.797 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1274137444.08 by MaryA

Let me start by saying I really do like animals, BUT we chose not to get another dog after our beloved Sadie died almost 7 yrs. ago.  I am allergic to cats, so we definitely would never get a cat.

The neighborhood cats have become a problem here!  They are on my back porch, front porch, under the porch, and on my porch furniture all the time, and I don't like it!  They have obviously urinated on the cushions (and who knows where else) because it smells like cat urine on my front porch!  I hate it!!  I told DH not to bother putting our wicker furniture out, as the cats will only pee on it more and take over on it every chance they get!

I find it very aggrivating that we have to put up with everyone else's cats!  There is a reason we do not have pets!  I would NEVER do anything to hurt the cats, but I have got to find a way to keep them away from house and off my porches!!!

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Melly1231274027439.012547 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008

Try orange peels placed around where you don't want them. I have never tried this, but my Grandma swears by it, and I swear by Grandma!

stevieb1274027632.47330074 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

I'm a cat person, but understand your frustration.  Any of the large pet chains sells sprays that supposedly will keep cats from clawing furniture, etc., so perhaps one of these sprayed around your porch would encourage the little furry things to not come around...

JuJu Squee­zey1274028108.76714444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

I do so wish cat owners would not let them roam!

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a h ell-broth boil and bubble.
William Shakespeare

BonnieBelle1274028360.97719436 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

Get one of those motion detector noise making things to scare the cat away.  After a time or two, he won't come back.

fltcats1274028626.6585 PostsRegistered 12/26/2006

place a few pieces of heavy duty foil on the chairs.  they do not like them or plastic with the bumps on them that are sometimes placed under computer chairs to protect the floor. bumps facing upwards.  i love my cat but indoors only

Last edited on 5/16/2010

Last edited on 5/16/2010

jboozer1274028693.43139 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I love cats, and have two that are rescue kitties.  Both are indoor cats.  I would suggest calling the local animal control in your area.  They should be able to help.  I would also hope that the "owners" of these cats have been responsible enough to have had them spayed and neutered so that they're not creating a bigger problem in the neighborhood.  Best of luck.

Breea1274028907.837807 PostsRegistered 11/6/2007

THIS WORKS!!!  I had the same problem on my front porch.  Take the black pepper out of your kitchen cabinet and put pepper on the furniture, cushions, etc.  They won't come near it!!!  After awhile, they are used to staying away and you can wash off the black pepper and they won't come back.  If they do come back after awhile, repepper everything!  This is what alot of large hotel chains use. 

fltcats1274028935.1785 PostsRegistered 12/26/2006

also there are a few plants that cats do not like. check with your gardening center and various websites  and place small pots around your porch.  also pinecones will keep cats from digging in your flowerbeds. rue and citrus plants are just a few they hate.  try typing in google plants that cats hate and find some that thrive in your area.

Last edited on 5/16/2010

Last edited on 5/16/2010

Marp1274028963.33713480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

Sue,

First and foremost you must thoroughly clean every place that you can find where the cats have sprayed.  The scent attracts other cats and encourages them to spray also.  This is not urination, it is marking.  I suggest using something like XO or Zero Odor.  Both are very effective.

Next, I would try placing lavender plants, anything with a strong citrus scent or moth balls.  If possible I would place (and replace as needed) moth balls on the ground surrounding the porch and place flower pots of lavender on the porch.  If you want you can also find a citrus scented fabric spray and use that.  Since this is outside that too will have to be done again periodically.

I am suggesting the combination of things because I know just from my three that what works on one does not necessarily affect the others.

If these are neighborhood cats try talking to the neighbors, especially about getting them neutered as neutered males generally do not mark as much as un-neutered and when they do the attracting scent is not there. 

If they are feral contact your local animal shelter about live traps and trap them then turn them over to the appropriate agency.  I hate to suggest that because of what the end result will probably be but it is apparent you have a growing cat population.  There may be a group in your area that works with feral cats and that would be the preferable way of handling the problem.

Good luck, this will be an ongoing problem for a while but with persistence you will win.  One other thing, if you see them and have lawn sprinklers or you a hose water is the best cat deterrent there is. 

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

luvsbulldo­gs1274029247.752130 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The black pepper really does work.  My mom used it for years to keep the neighborhood cats off of her porch furniture.  Good Luck!

missyw11274030460.4132444 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

hose. Actually a cat teases my dog everyday. I wet the area down.

drizzellla1274031953.2571533 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

The house we eventually bought, smelled of cat and we were told when the cats that lived there went, the smell would go too. How naive we were. After we moved in our house became a "hang out" for every cat in a 2 block radius of our house. Our cars were sprayed, front door sprayed, outside furniture sprayed - it really turned our stomach coming home.

We found Sweet Pea Pet Corrector. We would mix it with water and wash all the infected areas. And they stressed that we had to go scrub up at least 2 feet from the ground. Because if the cat sprayed it was probably standing. It got rid of the awful smell and we give it to friends all the time to get rid of animal smells. We went through many gallons to get rid of the smell inside and out.

We still have cats in the yard because we used to have bunnies - the cats killed them all, the ducks - the cats have a tougher time getting them and birds - there are always bird parts  and feathers around the yard.

I used to be a cat lover until I moved here. It gets troublesome at times dealing with other people's pets.

The bad news is Time Flies
The good news is You are the pilot.

Qgirl1274032774.394167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

I have a scat mat that I used to put on my couch.  None of my animals will sit on that couch ever again.  I bought mine at Petsmart.  It was around $70.00 and worth every penny.  I only had it on the couch for about a month and that took care of the problem.  It runs on batteries, so you don't need a cord for the porch.  It isn't cruel either.  I felt it and it was a bit stonger than if you got shocked by running your feet across the carpet.

ladyroxanne1274034050.47711004 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca

I have heard that moth balls work also.

Crow1274034534.1416005 PostsRegistered 11/16/2007Turn left and keep drivin'

Try the black pepper and some lavendar plants.

If you can catch them and the hose or a spray bottle is handy, shoot water at them.

One thing that I use with my cats to keep them off the counter is just a spray room deodorizer.  They absolutely hate the sound, and of course I don't spray it on them or in their faces.  But it works, and the room smells pretty for a little while.

Good luck!  All cats really should be indoor only cats, IMO.

Inane pictures: the bumper stickers of Viewpoints.

PuppyBreath1274052225.8418676 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Mn. Twins Fan

I read recently to spray the areas with pickle juice. 

Puppy

Please support Pancreatic Cancer Research.

My favorite breed is Rescued.

gidgetgoes­hawaiian1274052920.6610303 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
You guys are nicer than I am. I'd tell the neighbor to keep their cat off my property or I'm calling animal control. I don't understand why I'd need to be responsible for buying and putting out mothballs, lavender plants, spraying pickle juice, etc. It's their pet and they Need to take responsibility for it. As I'm allergic to cats, I'm not a cat lover. I would. Not be amused by this. This won't be a popular post here, but it's how I feel.

Marp1274054081.4213480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

Gidget, no your post won't be popular but you have every right to feel the way you do and to express that.  Also, there are many that would agree with you.

If these cats do belong to neighbors I would try approaching them but it would be an effort in futility because if they don't care enough about their animals to keep then in then they certainly aren't going to care what they are doing to a neighbors property so Sue is caught between a rock and a hard place.  There is only so much she can do.

BTW, I appreciate the way you expressed your opinion.  You could have been nasty or snarky about it but you weren't.  Thanks.

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

Lucky Charm1274057379.6236427 PostsRegistered 2/29/2008

BANG ON YOUR NEIGHBORS DOOR AND TELL THEM TO KEEP THEIR       *^%$#@ CATS INSIDE OR YOU'LL CALL ANIMAL CONTROL DAILY.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Last edited on 5/16/2010

Last edited on 5/16/2010

Life's a beach!

Hooty1274059554.14719133 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

Hey Sue, those cats will keep the mice away, LOL!

Lindsays G­randma1274062113.14398 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007Arizona, formerly San Fernando Valley, CA

Great thread, thanks for posting, very helpful.

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear ~~~ Mark Twain

Lindsay's Grandma

-foundinlv-1274070966.8232259 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009
On 5/16/2010 JuJu Squeezey said:

I do so wish cat owners would not let them roam!

My cat was half feral (I guess someone abandoned her) and was running with an older cat - a long hair calico and while she has adjusted over the past year as an indoor cat she still refuses to use her cat box.  There is a tree on the side of our house and she loves to go out there, chase bugs and lay in the sun and do her business out there.  She has a kitty flap.  When we have tried to keep her inside she protests and it is not fun.  There is no way we can keep her in the house against her wishes...she is like a wild animal. 

The older calico cat never allowed us to get that close to her and only recently allowed us to pat her head.  During the intense summer heat she has sacked out in our converted garage that is air ducted but she too would have a fit if she was locked inside.  The baby lives in the main part of the house as there is another kitty flap from the converted garage into the house.  The calico could have come in anytime but never has. 

There are new laws about not allowing your pet to "run wild," and we will be keeping current with it as we don't want them picked up but don't know what to do.  The baby (she is grey and white similar to the one who passed away about 1-1/2 ago) recently got trapped in our neighbors garage...she was poking around in there when the door was up and when they lowered it she didn't run out.  I was looking and looking for her calling her name and when I walked by their garage I could hear her crying.  I knocked on my neighbor's door and got her out.  Poor thing was in there a few hours but hopefully won't go in there again.

griselda1274071934.817902 PostsRegistered 12/8/2007

Well, I sympathize.  We have brought in most every stray cat in the neighborhood and would never let them out to ruin the neighbor's property.

Visit your local nursery and see what deterents they have available. There are several non-toxic solutions you can get to put around the perimeter of your yard and home.

Do NOT use pepper or mothballs!  Mothballs are poisonous and pepper gets in their paws.  When they rub their eyes it will cause painful irritation.

kachina6241274072936.95316306 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
On 5/16/2010 gidgetgoeshawaiian said: You guys are nicer than I am. I'd tell the neighbor to keep their cat off my property or I'm calling animal control. I don't understand why I'd need to be responsible for buying and putting out mothballs, lavender plants, spraying pickle juice, etc. It's their pet and they Need to take responsibility for it. As I'm allergic to cats, I'm not a cat lover. I would. Not be amused by this. This won't be a popular post here, but it's how I feel.

gidget,  I agree with you 100%.  I have had damage done to my property by roaming cats.  I don't dislike cats but most communities have leash laws for all animals and cats are included.  Dogs bark and may be anoying but cats do far more damage, and I wouldn't put up with it.  If all else fails, see if you can get a loan of humane traps from your local animal control and trap the offenders.  When their "loving" owners have to pay a fine to retrieve them, they may be more inclined to keep them inside.

AlexK1274073350.4272541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

Mouse traps.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next