Honored Contributor

1000 Year Old Medicine May Treat MRSA - Too Good To Be True?

WOW {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

BBC Report:

A 1,000-year-old treatment for eye infections could hold the key to killing antibiotic-resistant superbugs, experts have said.

Scientists recreated a 9th Century Anglo-Saxon remedy using onion, garlic and part of a cow's stomach.

They were "astonished" to find it almost completely wiped out staphylococcus aureus, otherwise known as MRSA.

Their findings will be presented at a national microbiology conference.

The remedy was found in Bald's Leechbook - an old English manuscript containing instructions on various treatments held in the British Library.

Bald's Leechbook

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32117815

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: 1000 Year Old Medicine May Treat MRSA - Too Good To Be True?

I've wondered for a long time why we didn't look closely at ancient treatments, and also at folk treatments in different countries, including our own.

A little more information, because if the studies stand up to scrutiny, this could open up a whole new field of medicine:

"The remedy was found in Bald's Leechbook - an old English manuscript containing instructions on various treatments held in the British Library.

Anglo-Saxon expert Dr Christina Lee, from the University of Nottingham, translated the recipe for an "eye salve", which includes garlic, onion or leeks, wine and cow bile.

Experts from the university's microbiology team recreated the remedy and then tested it on large cultures of MRSA."

Respected Contributor

Awesome!

Naturopath's have gained some ground as people slowly look for alternative treatments beyond the chemicals that big pharma sells or pushes for our traditional doctors to push for them.

Just listen to the side effects and possible dangers of the drugs advertized on TV....that alone should be enough to scare anyone off form asking for or taking any of those meds.

Honored Contributor

That would be a godsend. That is my main fear when I am in the hospital, especially the ER, which like a merry-go-round, one in the bed, then out, another one in, then out . . . and they never even wipe down the beds in between.

My ex-SIL had a pacemaker put inside her chest successfully. She was discharged the next day, and died four days later from a MRSA infection. She would have been better off taking her chances with erratic heartbeats.

I worry about my third daughter who is an IT at five different hospitals and in the ORs all the time. She washes her hands constantly and sometimes wears masks and surgical gloves when working on the computers.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Wow! This is so encouraging, as are the new treatments using the polio, measles, and HIV viruses for cancer patients.

Thanks for this thread, Noel!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 straykatz said:

Awesome!

Naturopath's have gained some ground as people slowly look for alternative treatments beyond the chemicals that big pharma sells or pushes for our traditional doctors to push for them.

Just listen to the side effects and possible dangers of the drugs advertized on TV....that alone should be enough to scare anyone off form asking for or taking any of those meds.

I have those biologics pushed on me all the time. I won't take them and the RA docs then tell me there is nothing they can do for me. So I don't have an RA doc anymore. Same with statins and bisphosphonates.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Awesome!

I'd hope that would also be part of new medical research.

Does anyone remember the Foxfire books? They came out years ago as an attempt to document life in Appalachia. Everything from folk songs to folk medicine. I think the books also contained old recipes of folk medicine.

Image result for foxfire books

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Ford1224 said:

That would be a godsend. That is my main fear when I am in the hospital, especially the ER, which like a merry-go-round, one in the bed, then out, another one in, then out . . . and they never even wipe down the beds in between.

My ex-SIL had a pacemaker put inside her chest successfully. She was discharged the next day, and died four days later from a MRSA infection. She would have been better off taking her chances with erratic heartbeats.

I worry about my third daughter who is an IT at five different hospitals and in the ORs all the time. She washes her hands constantly and sometimes wears masks and surgical gloves when working on the computers.

I worry, too.

A Bay Area hospital has had a woman in care for some time now. She's lost her limbs, one by one. Terrible. I haven't seen recent reports so I don't know if she's still alive.

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 NoelSeven said:

Awesome!

I'd hope that would also be part of new medical research.

Does anyone remember the Foxfire books? They came out years ago as an attempt to document life in Appalachia. Everything from folk songs to folk medicine. I think the books also contained old recipes of folk medicine.

Image result for foxfire books

Yes! Those are from my neck of the woods, and my family knows some of the contributors to those lovely books! I believe their magazine is still being published.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 dooBdoo said:

Wow! This is so encouraging, as are the new treatments using the polio, measles, and HIV viruses for cancer patients.

Thanks for this thread, Noel!

I have to read more about the polio/cancer treatments. I was under the weather for a bit when that was on Sunday night.

If you think it sounds promising, I'm heartened Smile