Respected Contributor

In NV all you need is a rear license plate

About 45% of vehicles I see on the road do not have front license plates (including one of our cars). However, in CA that is illegal but I was wondering if it was just for CA residents. Would a visitor from NV driving their car to CA with just the rear plate get ticketed?

Does your state require both plates?

Honored Contributor

Re: In NV all you need is a rear license plate

NJ has always required front and back, and so does NY. I was blown away when I moved to South Jersey and saw many PA license plates on the rear only. I don't know if that is still so, because I don't drive anymore.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Hey Found! I've lived here for 35 years and I didn't even know that. D'oh!

Good question, though. I'm sure somebody will know.

Hope this finds you well.

ETA - I'm wondering if it's like the window thing. In CA you cannot have the front seat windows tinted but I always have because it's ok here and have spent tons of time in CA with my vehicle and never got ticketed.

Trusted Contributor

31 states require both front and rear license plates. 19 require rear plates only.

Esteemed Contributor

No. If a person who lives in Nevada, and has their car registered there, comes to California, they will not get ticketed for having just one plate on the car.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 chickenbutt said:

ETA - I'm wondering if it's like the window thing. In CA you cannot have the front seat windows tinted but I always have because it's ok here and have spent tons of time in CA with my vehicle and never got ticketed.

Hi CB! Yes, I am doing very well....no more tiredness or coughing.

What I find interesting is that on the cars that do not have front license plates, there is also no holder for them and no holes drilled either. I suppose these cars were purchased here.

I didn't know about the side windows not allowed to be tinted in CA; in Las Vegas you supposedly are not allowed to have your front windshield tinted except for a thin strip on the top of the glass. Of course the majority of cars are not only tinted but blacked out.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 Plaid Pants said:

No. If a person who lives in Nevada, and has their car registered there, comes to California, they will not get ticketed for having just one plate on the car.

Good to know! Thanks.

Valued Contributor

NC, SC, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida only require a rear license plate.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 Ilikeshade said:
On 3/29/2015 chickenbutt said:

Hi CB! Yes, I am doing very well....no more tiredness or coughing.

What I find interesting is that on the cars that do not have front license plates, there is also no holder for them and no holes drilled either. I suppose these cars were purchased here.

I didn't know about the side windows not allowed to be tinted in CA; in Las Vegas you supposedly are not allowed to have your front windshield tinted except for a thin strip on the top of the glass. Of course the majority of cars are not only tinted but blacked out.

The plate holders are added at the dealership that sells the car, if that state requires a front plate. I learned this in Nov. I bought a car from a friend out of state. When I registered it, I got two plates. I went to put them on and no front holder. Had one installed at the dealer for $40.
Super Contributor

Rear plate only in Indiana.