Frequent Contributor

What do you do with yours? Or what did you do with yours?

I was shredding old bills, and I have a lot of QVC return labels. I can't put them through the shredder because it ruin it. I don't know if there are information that someone can get when thrown in the trash. I tried that stamp that I bought from QVC years ago that goes in different directions, but I can still see my name and address. I was wondering what is the safest way to get rid of them? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you do with yours? Or what did you do with yours?

I just tear mine into pieces and evenly distribute them in bags that are going out in the trash. A very low-tech technique, for sure, but it seems to be okay.

My workplace has an industrial strength shredder, so sometimes I bring them into work to shred in addition to expired credit cards. That thing will handle anything!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Frequent Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Topaz Gem said:

I just tear mine into pieces and evenly distribute them in bags that are going out in the trash. A very low-tech technique, for sure, but it seems to be okay.

My workplace has an industrial strength shredder, so sometimes I bring them into work to shred in addition to expired credit cards. That thing will handle anything!

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of tearing them up. Maybe mixing them in with food trash and not put them in the same trash bag. I never know if some people will be able to get some information from them, you can't be too safe nowadays.

Esteemed Contributor

I shred mine.....may I ask why you can't shred yours...

Frequent Contributor

On 3/27/2015 circles said:

I shred mine.....may I ask why you can't shred yours...

It said on the instructions that came with it, to not shred adhesive labels, cds, dvds, things like that. I used to put my through the shredder too, until I got a new one and actually read the instructions before I used it.

Honored Contributor

We use a shredder, but sometimes it really builds up and I suspect the shredder can't handle it.

I also bought the security stamp and have found it works well. Could it be that yours ran out of ink?

There are also full-strength shredders available from our recology servers, anyone can bring their stuff to one and have it shredded right before their eyes. Maybe your garbage pick-up service also offers an industrial shredder use.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Frequent Contributor

On 3/27/2015 NoelSeven said:

We use a shredder, but sometimes it really build up and I suspect the shredder can't handle it.

I also bought the security stamp and have found it works well. Could it be that yours ran out of ink?

There are also full-strength shredders available from our recology servers, anyone can bring their stuff to one and have it shredded right before their eyes.

Thanks for the information. I do have ink in the security stamp, I think I am just paranoid, and because I know what the name and address is, I think everyone could see it.

Honored Contributor

Call me ignorant but why is there a need to shred return labels? It's not like someone's name and address is a big secret.
Respected Contributor

I just toss return labels. Once in a while I tear them up before tossing.

My paper shredder can't digest paper + adhesive.

Frequent Contributor

On 3/27/2015 bikerbabe said: Call me ignorant but why is there a need to shred return labels? It's not like someone's name and address is a big secret.

With QVC return labels on the reverse side is your information like your member no.