Honored Contributor

Paging Kachina re: Berry Eagles

Hi Kachina, how are you doing? Have you checked on the Berry Eagle nest? I just looked at the babies with dad in the nest and they are almost his size. Do you think we could have a pair of female babies?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Paging Kachina re: Berry Eagles

Don't those kids grow up fast? Yes, I check in on the family several times a day. I have trouble identifying mom and dad unless they are together. I know mom is the larger. I guess it's possible we have a pair of girls. Wonder where B-3 is these days?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I hope B3 is doing well. We lost the last healthy Decorah eaglet (from last year's clutch) to electrocution either at the beginning of this month or end of last month. The eaglet with the injured wing lives in a rehab center now.

Sometimes I wonder if putting those tracking devices on the birds makes them more likely to die of electrocution. I know they say it's the power lines, but electricity draws electricity, know what I mean?

I can usually tell Berry Mom from Dad this way - Dad's head feathers are almost blinding white and pretty much look impeccably groomed - they lay flat against his head. From a behavior perspective, he tends to look down on the babies like they are aliens. He's always been a fair feeder in that he feeds one then the other - not necessarily feeding only the dominant screamer of the pair.

Mom, bless her, has head feathers that don't lay against her head. They look a kind of dirty blonde (lol) and disheveled, like a typical harried mother. She tends to sit closer to her kids while dad seems to avoid them.

Honored Contributor

Bird, Your descriptions are too funny! The kids seem to be on their own this afternoon. The wind is really buffeting the old pine tree. I'll try using your criteria and see if I can ID mom and dad.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

'Both are getting Dandelion Head!! ;)'

this is dad - neat as a pin, off to the side, like 'they're not mine' lol

Honored Contributor

'Thanks to eagle watcher Wanda Ray Strickland for this screen shot of Momma eagle trying to be an umbrella. The eaglets are getting so big!'

this is mom, granted it's raining, but even on a dry day, she has bed head and does not avoid her children.

Super Contributor

I love these eagles! I hope they all thrive. It's so interesting to see them in their environment, the last time I look at the Decorah eagles the mom was sitting in a nest of snow. I'm so happy that last year I was able to contact S.O.A.R and Raptor Resource Project and contribute to their cause. They need money and rely on donations to help all different breeds of birds that have been injured.

Check them out if you want!