Super Contributor

My Credit card number was stolen, have you experienced this?

Yesterday I received a call from a nationally known company asking me if I ordered a gift card online and I hadn't so I asked them to cancel the order. She told me which card was used and I called that credit card company. I found out that several other businesses received orders for gift cards using that card.

I called each company and they were able to deactivate the gift cards. So when the thief tries to use the gift cards OR if they sell the gift cards the idiots will be very disappointed. Ha!

I was able to find out various information from the different companies, I have a city and a yahoo email address from where the orders were placed. Problem is I can't get a hold of Yahoo and I know these criminals change email addresses constantly.

I canceled the credit card and I have Identity theft protection but it still irks me that they have my name, address and now former credit card number.

Have any of you dealt with this before? I buy a lot online and it's the first time it has happened to me. I'm not out any money and I was able to nip it in the bud because of the first company to call me, if that hadn't happened I wouldn't have seen the charges until my statement was issued.

I'm definitely going to change my shopping habits online and try to use cash as much as possible. I just don't like carrying cash.

In order to get the IP address, I have to file a police report and only they will have access to it. I'd love to find out who did this and how they got my cc number, name and address.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Credit card number was stolen, have you experienced this?

Within the last 20 years I've had credit card numbers stolen at gas stations, hotels, online, etc. about 8 times.

Honored Contributor

My only experience a couple of years ago was when a card was expiring and I had not received the new one. When I call the cc co. they said they has sent it out to the new address I had provided. The new card had not been used but was sent to a new address in my town which the cc co. would not give me. I wanted that address so bad just in case it was someone I knew.

Anyway, they had enough info. about me to get the change done without my knowledge. I canceled that acct. and got a new number with the same cc company.

Thieves/Scammers are everywhere and put a lot of time into stealing instead of working. Good Luck, and now I periodically check all my expiration dates and not just rely on when a new card comes in to remind me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

to Colliemom

OMG! Thats nuts! What did you do?

I'm on a terror right now! I'm trying to sleuth this and bust this guy.

Super Contributor

On 3/25/2015 beckyb1012 said:

My only experience a couple of years ago was when a card was expiring and I had not received the new one. When I call the cc co. they said they has sent it out to the new address I had provided. The new card had not been used but was sent to a new address in my town which the cc co. would not give me. I wanted that address so bad just in case it was someone I knew.

Anyway, they had enough info. about me to get the change done without my knowledge. I canceled that acct. and got a new number with the same cc company.

Thieves/Scammers are everywhere and put a lot of time into stealing instead of working. Good Luck, and now I periodically check all my expiration dates and not just rely on when a new card comes in to remind me.

Oh, I'd want to find out who did this! I would drive me crazy. It's scary that people are so bold to steal and that they don't give a rats butt that it doesn't belong to them!

Honored Contributor

You really can't do much. It was always investigated and I never had to pay for any of it. That doesn't mean I don't care. It's just there is only so much one can do. I am very careful too. There are just so many scammers out there. They have devised master methods of getting your card numbers, making duplicate cards etc.

Honored Contributor

It happened to me once...someone in the NYC area used my CC # for a few days.

All charges were reversed by AmEx.

It won't change my habits at all. Cash isn't convenient and we have protection whether it's a CC or a debit card.

Respected Contributor

Yes, a couple of weeks ago I got a text from my cc company asking if I had made a purchase earlier that day. I responded no, then I called the cc company. Someone attempted to make on online purchase which was denied. My account was frozen and they sent me a new card.

This also happend about four years ago with another cc. I have also stopped using my debit card as much at local stores and writing checks or paying with cash.

I'm always concerned when using my cc at restaurants. Who knows what the server does when they take your card in the back and process a transaction?

Respected Contributor

Just inform your credit card company and they will do the work of busting the perp. I doubt a private individual would be able to do it. It's probably organized.

I had my number stolen and the cc company issued me a new card and that was the end of it for me. The ""vacation"" that my thief enjoyed was not charged to me once I notified the cc company.

Respected Contributor

This is the world we live in, and I know it's only going to get worse. Thieves are everywhere.