Honored Contributor

Health Issue - Stuffy nose & runny nose at the same time -- can't sleep -- what to do? Please offer suggestions!

I hope someone can offer some suggestions!

I caught a bad cold from a co-worker. I started out with sore throat (which has passed) and now I have some coughing (not much). This is my 6th day!!!

My main problem right now is a stuffy nose and runny nose at the same time. I cannot sleep at all! How is it possible to have both at the same time?

I have been drinking so much hot tea --- I can't drink any more! I have been taking over the counter stuff which is not helping much with the problem.

I did have some congestion in the chest at first but this doesn't seem to be much of a problem now.

My nose is running so profusely that I have to blow it constantly. But now, it is very stuffy as well.

I am just at a loss. As you can see from the time, I am up. I have probably only slept an hour all night. And not much more the night before.

Any suggestions on what I can take over the counter or what I could do would be helpful!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Health Issue - Stuffy nose & runny nose at the same time -- can't sleep -- what to do? Please offer suggestions!

I feel your pain Angel. I've had some kind of crud for going on a week now.

You need to take a multi-symptom something.You need both an antihistamine and a decongestant. You have both stuffy and runny because you have swelling of the tissue in your nasal passages (stuffy/decongestant) and you are over producing mucus (runny/antihistamine).

Allegra D, Claritin D, Alka-Seltzer Plus, etc

Hope you feel better soon.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Re: Health Issue - Stuffy nose & runny nose at the same time -- can't sleep -- what to do? Please offer suggestions!

A Netti pot with warm distilled salt water.

Honored Contributor

betteb: I am sorry you have been feeling sick and hope you are better now!

esmeraldagooch: Thanks for this suggestion!

I have been taking a bunch of stuff over the counter but obviously it hasn't been the right stuff!

I am miserable --- and desperately need a good night's sleep!

Thanks so much for your kind replies!

Honored Contributor

OP what did your doctor tell you??

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Vicks Vapor-Rub.

Honored Contributor

Went to Med X-Press. Said that I probably started out with a cold which turned into a bad sinus infection, which then went into some sort of bronchial thing. So, I got a prescription, plus they said to continue with Mucinex and if I don't get significantly better in a few more days, to come back.

I actually was able to get some sleep last night. I still feel rotten but do see some slight improvement.

I thank you for your replies and concern!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Zyrtec

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same exact thing. Started out with a sore throat and then the stuffiness. I bought Contac (day and night capsules in the same box) and it worked like a miracle. It dried me up completely at night and I slept like a baby. During the day, it doesn't make you drowsy either.

It started on a Saturday and I went to the doctor on Monday for the swab, which came back "negative" and when I told him what I was taking, he said "keep taking it" LOL...... It worked for me.

Couldn't hurt to give it a try.... I hope you feel better. We both had it for exactly 3 weeks, and then one day, boom - it was gone....Smile

Super Contributor

As long as you don't use it more than once a day, Afrin nasal spray really helps you breathe when you're trying to sleep.