Trusted Contributor

I want to learn to play the Harmonica----seriously!

I have thought about this for years. I love the sound of a harmonica, and I have always wanted to learn to play. I live in a fairly rural area, but I did call a music shop about 20 miles away from me to ask about lessons. The gentleman I spoke to said he does not know of anyone that gives harmonica lessons, but he told me he does sell them, and he told me there are dvd's I can purchase to learn to play.

Does anyone here know how to play the harmonica or do you know anyone who can play. Any helpful suggestions/advice? Thanks!

P.S. I turned 50 last month. I'm not too old to learn, right? lol

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I want to learn to play the Harmonica----seriously!

No..I don't think you're too old at all! I guess you could look into the DVD's, that seems to be a popular way to teach music these days! Good luck! Follow your passion!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Regular Contributor

Sue, what state do you live in?

I know a FANTASTIC blues/jazz harp player that does lessons.

If you go to Reverbnation/HarpKing his site should come up.

He's even played on one of Emenem's albums

Super Contributor

There might be something on u tube!

A house is not a home without a cat!
Super Contributor

There are many, many instructional videos on YouTube on a variety of instruments, including the harmonica. I was watching one last night on the guitar. They are so good that you don't need to buy any instructions, unless you want the "personal touch."

I think it's a great instrument to learn; good luck with it!

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

Go For It!!!! I bet it would be a lot of fun. Good Luck!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Oh, fun! When I was a kid I sent in a bunch of bubble gum wrappers to get a harmonica. It never came. I was bummed.

One time, a few years ago, I saw this cool-looking harmonica in the Gold Box on Amazon and just had to get it. I still didn't know how to play yet. But I found stuff online that was extremely helpful, by just searching (Google in my case).

I can do taps. I don't remember what else, as I haven't brought it out lately due to increased breathing problems.

So, the moral of the story is - DO IT! It will be fun.

Trusted Contributor

Lots of info on YouTube and Facebook. Check out George Miklas on FB. I think it's fantastic that you want to play harp. Nancy Wilson from Heart plays a mean harp.

Harp is slang for harmonica, i.e. Mouth Harp.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your helpful responses!
Honored Contributor

Hey, you are young, and enjoy the harmonica! Another portable instrument would be the xylophone. I ran across one at Cost Plus World Market the other day. Would probably be fairly easy to follow music/directions, too. Beautiful sounding music, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).