Honored Contributor

40 INCORRECTLY USED WORDS THAT CAN MAKE YOU LOOK DUMB

I thought this was a concise explanation of words often used incorrectly.

While we're at it, do YOU have any pet peeves?

(Yes ..... this is a GRIPE thread! ..... LOL {#emotions_dlg.laugh} )

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141203134446-20017018-40-incorrectly-used-words-that-can-make-you-l...

Super Contributor

Re: 40 INCORRECTLY USED WORDS THAT CAN MAKE YOU LOOK DUMB

I remember being surprised by how many people incorrectly used of/have and then/than. After years of reading message boards and emails, I no longer think much of it. I do wonder why people don't realize the misuse.

Respected Contributor

Lose vs loose. Your pants can be loose and you can lose your wallet.....

Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 LizAnne said:

I remember being surprised by how many people incorrectly used of/have and then/than. After years of reading message boards and emails, I no longer think much of it. I do wonder why people don't realize the misuse.

Those drive me nuts.

Honored Contributor

I often don't make the who/whom distinction unless I really stop to think about it. Whom does sound stilted to meSmiley Happy

Ensure/insure is one of the most common mistakes I notice, along with loose/lose.

Super Contributor

Mute vs moot. It drives me crazy when I hear or see ""it's a mute point"" instead of ""moot point"".
Honored Contributor

I can't believe how many people don't use your/you're correctly. The misuse of apostrophes is astounding too.

Frequent Contributor

My pet peeve has become acceptable. My English teacher of many moons ago said done only referred to cooking. Is the cake done? Now everyone says are you done yet? I still say are you "" finished"" or are you ""through"". Just a pet peeve that I can't overcome ! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 3/6/2015 stargazer said:

My pet peeve has become acceptable. My English teacher of many moons ago said done only referred to cooking. Is the cake done? Now everyone says are you done yet? I still say are you " finished" or are you "through". Just a pet peeve that I can't overcome ! Smiley Happy

I don't understand where your teacher got that idea. It's the past participle of the verb DO. DO, DID, HAVE DONE. More things besides a cake can be done. I am an English major and an English teacher, and I have never heard that teacher's claim before today. To quote Lady Macbeth: "Done is done. What's done can't be undone." Now I'm done.

Honored Contributor

The one that annoys me is when people say ""I could care less"" ..... when what they REALLY mean is ""I COULDN'T care less"" ....... do they even hear what they are saying?