Super Contributor

We received a wedding invitation from someone we hardly know.

DH works with her father. I met her once, briefly. Most likely our paths will never cross again.

But my point is, she did send us an invitation and I would like to send them a card with something. I don't want to be cheap, but at the same time, not go overboard. We will not be attending the wedding.

I would appreciate any thoughts on how much for a cash wedding gift these days.

TIA -- Tabby Smile

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Respected Contributor

If your husband works with her father and I was not attending the wedding, I would send a minimum of $100.00.

Super Contributor

If you're not attending and you and DH are not close with the family, $50 is appropriate.

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't send them more than $50 in either cash or a gift card. Find out where she is registered.

Frankly, sounds like a gift invite to me.

Super Contributor
On 3/5/2015 RedHeadedWench said:

I wouldn't send them more than $50 in either cash or a gift card. Find out where she is registered.

Frankly, sounds like a gift invite to me.

ITA.

Esteemed Contributor
$50.00 is sufficient IMHO.
Trusted Contributor
I'd probably give $25. Seems sufficient for 'knowing' the couple.
Super Contributor

Whether or not you attend the wedding should not affect the amount you spend or give as a wedding gift.

Give or spend what you can afford.

In our area $50 would be a frugal amount.

Super Contributor
On 3/5/2015 ivanatrump said:

Whether or not you attend the wedding should not affect the amount you spend or give as a wedding gift.

Give or spend what you can afford.

In our area $50 would be a frugal amount.

Really? Here in the Northeast it would be quite acceptable for someone you don't socialize with. But, of course, perhaps not if you're one of the Trumps.

Honored Contributor

I think wedding gift dollar amounts vary around the country. Here in CT, I don't think you could get away with less than $100 as a non-attendee.

(I disagree with the poster who said it doesn't matter if you are going or not. You can difinitely give less if you aren't attending.)

BTW, it does sound like a "gift invitation." However, there is no graceful (or cheap) way out of that.