Honored Contributor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/05/ringling-bros-elephants_n_6807340.html

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

Re: I am so thrilled about this

Me too, Ford. Now let's move on and do away with all of the other animals used for entertainment, including rodeos.

The circus is not something I would ever attend, nor a rodeo. These animals don't have a voice or given a choice. All in the name of money.

OT, hope you are doing well; I'll bet you and your daughter are so looking forward to your new place.

Honored Contributor

I didn't click on the link but if it is about stopping animal abuse I'm all for it.

Circuses that use animals, rodeos, and animal racing should all be against the law. It's barbaric.

Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 HisElk said:

Me too, Ford. Now let's move on and do away with all of the other animals used for entertainment, including rodeos.

The circus is not something I would ever attend, nor a rodeo. These animals don't have a voice or given a choice. All in the name of money.

OT, hope you are doing well; I'll bet you and your daughter are so looking forward to your new place.

Oh boy, are we in the weeds right now!! Still so much left to do. And my daughter is not doing well right now, and my stupid rib is still shaky. Egad!! My other two daughters and someone else are doing all the physical stuff, but I still have junk to go through and throw out. You're right, we can't wait until this is over. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 chickenbutt said:

I didn't click on the link but if it is about stopping animal abuse I'm all for it.

Circuses that use animals, rodeos, and animal racing should all be against the law. It's barbaric.

Ringling Bros. is going to stop using elephants for entertainment. They seem to be getting a lot of negative feedback for doing so.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Ford. I just saw the first thread on this and saw the information. This is good, but there will still be abuse of the other animals, which is horrible. Maybe it's going in the right direction, though, eh? One can only hope. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Ford. I just saw the first thread on this and saw the information. This is good, but there will still be abuse of the other animals, which is horrible. Maybe it's going in the right direction, though, eh? One can only hope. Smiley Happy

That's exactly what I was going to add. One small step at a time. At least here in the U.S., animal rights and the recognition that they do have intelligence is beginning to take hold. I think it will take much of the rest of the world a long time to catch up, and so much of our wildlife will be brutalized and brought to extinction by then.

I didn't know there was another thread. I will look for it. Thanks, CB.

Formerly Ford1224
Super Contributor

This is a start. However, I think they should do away with the circus completely. No animal should be treated that way. I also think Sea World should be closed down for their inhumane treatment of killer whales specifically and their other "performers". Also for the deaths of the trainers. It is unnatural and cruel to keep a killer whale confined in such a small space and the trainers paid the price for it.
Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Ford1224 said:

Ringling Bros. is going to stop using elephants for entertainment. They seem to be getting a lot of negative feedback for doing so.

The zoo here in Seattle is finally going to move their two surviving elephants to a facility in Oklahoma City where they'll have much more room to run around, plus water pools to play in--Asian elephants love water and they have barely a drop in the zoo here.

It's been quite a struggle for years with animal-rights people vs. the zoo folks and I'm glad to see that it's the elephants who are winning.

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Stella Dallas said:
On 3/5/2015 Ford1224 said:

The zoo here in Seattle is finally going to move their two surviving elephants to a facility in Oklahoma City where they'll have much more room to run around, plus water pools to play in--Asian elephants love water and they have barely a drop in the zoo here.

It's been quite a struggle for years with animal-rights people vs. the zoo folks and I'm glad to see that it's the elephants who are winning.

The last I heard about that is a lawsuit is being filed to stop it. Animal rights organizations do not want the elephants sent to another zoo, but to an animal sanctuary where they can live out their lives in a place where they are safe but as close to a natural environment as possible. I really have trouble with the whole concept of zoos and the imprisonment of animals.