Trusted Contributor

Baking in an electric skillet?

HSN's TS Is a 14 inch electric skillet. They claim you can bake a pizza in it, but I think the crust would get soggy. Has anybody seen this skillet? Is anybody buying it?
Honored Contributor

Re: Baking in an electric skillet?

I'm interested in why you think it would get soggy.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

On 3/3/2015 NoelSeven said: I'm interested in why you think it would get soggy.

</ Maybe "soggy" is the wrong word. What I mean is, I would think the lid would keep steam trapped inside. I could be wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

they are demoing now....she just popped out a pineapple upside down cake...she is suppose to be making a pizza...but she hasn't shown it yet...

she made a lasagna and a beef stew...they only have one color left...white...

Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 sue98 said:
On 3/3/2015 NoelSeven said: I'm interested in why you think it would get soggy.

</ Maybe "soggy" is the wrong word. What I mean is, I would think the lid would keep steam trapped inside. I could be wrong.

An interesting point! Did they show baking it with the lid on? I'd think you're right.
Honored Contributor

In the early 70's I had a Sunbeam electric skillet that I made pizzas in, and also baked several cakes in as well. The baking instructions were in the instruction manual, and everything always turned out perfect. My husband and I loved homemade pizza, and the electric skillet made one the perfect size for us. I remember cooking it a certain length of time, which browned the crust, before you put the lid on, and finished the cooking process with the vent open so that no moisture formed inside. Thinking about it makes me want another electric skillet.
Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 RedTop said: In the early 70's I had a Sunbeam electric skillet that I made pizzas in, and also baked several cakes in as well. The baking instructions were in the instruction manual, and everything always turned out perfect. My husband and I loved homemade pizza, and the electric skillet made one the perfect size for us. I remember cooking it a certain length of time, which browned the crust, before you put the lid on, and finished the cooking process with the vent open so that no moisture formed inside. Thinking about it makes me want another electric skillet.
My mother had an electric skillet and I loved cooking in it, especially chicken. Everything came out perfect, I always assumed that was because of the controlled heat. I've wondered why we never hear about them anymore.
Respected Contributor

I've seen an upside down pineapple cake made in a straight sided non-electric pan, lid on. It was delicious.

Super Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Free2be said:

I've seen an upside down pineapple cake made in a straight sided non-electric pan, lid on. It was delicious.

When I was a kid, my dad always made pineapple upside down cake from scratch and baked it on the stove top in a cast iron skillet with a lid. You're right. It was delicious! a little whipped cream on top of a cooled, but slightly warm cake was the bomb.

Trusted Contributor

We used to make cakes in a pressure cooker.