Respected Contributor

On my third can of Static Guard :(

This is getting ridiculous. I am being buzzed everywhere I go in my home. The light switches, opening the door to the dryer, opening the sliding glass door, taking off my robe (crackle, crackle, crackle) so, of course, the next thing I touch is going to zap me.

Yesterday I tried carrying a softener sheet tucked inside my sleeve. Big deal. Bupkiss.

Even though the snow is melting in Dallas, I guess there's plenty of dry air in here.

I would appreciate any tips. This is getting so old. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: On my third can of Static Guard :(

You need to get some humidity in your house. It's the only fix. A cool mist humidifier, a hot/vaporizer breeds mold.

I have a table top model that I run 12 hrs a day, in the area that I spend the most time in which usually means moving it once during the day.

You can spend a lot of money on one, but I have found that one that costs $50-$65 is just as good as one that costs $100 or more.

They do make large (whole house) floor models. You can also see about having one retro fitted to your furnace, if you choose to spend a lot more money.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Thanks so much. I'll look into it right away.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/1/2015 pommom said:

In the mean time, you could boil water on the stove. The largest pot you have, full, brought to a full boil can help. Get it really boiling and steaming and let it go til the water gets low. It will help some, in that area of the house.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Some use metal safety pins in the hems of pants or skirts to stop static cling.

http://lifehacker.com/use-a-safety-pin-to-eliminate-static-electricty-510312330

Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2015 betteb said:
On 3/1/2015 pommom said:

In the mean time, you could boil water on the stove. The largest pot you have, full, brought to a full boil can help. Get it really boiling and steaming and let it go til the water gets low. It will help some, in that area of the house.

Don't do that unless you want water stain damage to ceilings and any wallpaper you may have.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/1/2015 CelticCrafter said:
On 3/1/2015 betteb said:
On 3/1/2015 pommom said:

Don't do that unless you want water stain damage to ceilings and any wallpaper you may have.

I've never had that problem when I did it, but I can see it might happen in a small, closed off kitchen. I have high ceilings and an open kitchen. I'm glad you posted that caution though.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the previous suggestions; it can be easily remedied with pinning a safety pin to your clothing which acts as a "ground", or simmering a pot of water on the kitchen stove. When I do the simmer pot, I add cloves, cinnamon and vanilla to the water to scent the house as well. We also have a humidifier.

Honored Contributor

For Christmas I got a goofy gift, which turned out to be GREAT ..... it's two natural "humidifiers" consisting of bowls with porous balls .... you place water in the bowl and the porous ball seeps the water into the air.

I have one in my bedroom and one in the living room, sitting on the DVR. the water needs to be filled every other day .... and while it may look too lame to do the trick ... NO MORE STATIC !!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

(I'll try to find out where she got them)

Respected Contributor

On 3/1/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

For Christmas I got a goofy gift, which turned out to be GREAT ..... it's two natural "humidifiers" consisting of bowls with porous balls .... you place water in the bowl and the porous ball seeps the water into the air.

I have one in my bedroom and one in the living room, sitting on the DVR. the water needs to be filled every other day .... and while it may look too lame to do the trick ... NO MORE STATIC !!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

(I'll try to find out where she got them)

Tinkrbl - please find out where I can buy these!

I'm got a pot with boiling water going now. (Why didn't I think of that?) Mil gracias to all who have lent their advice. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} PS - added a few drops of pure vanilla extract from Mexico. Used up all my cinnamon sticks.