Honored Contributor

Lupita Nyong'o's Oscar Dress Stolen From Hotel Room

TMZ is reporting that the $150,000 pearl-studded gown was discovered missing from her room at the London West Hollywood.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lupita Nyong'o's Oscar Dress Stolen From Hotel Room

I just read about that a little earlier. Yikes! I wonder if they'll find it. There are probably a very limited number of people who had access.

PS: Interesting sig line, OP.

Super Contributor

6,000 hand sewn pearls. I'm assuming they were freshwater pearls, but still valuable. Somebody's head will roll at that hotel.

Respected Contributor

What would thieves do with the dress? No one could actually wear it now, at least not in public.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

I don't know if she owned it outright, or it was on loan from a designer, but I read the $150,000 were for the pearls alone.

You just can't trust leaving things in a hotel room, other celebs have been ripped off, also, not to mention everyday travelers.

I assume she was staying at a nice place. If nothing else, they should have video of who goes in and out of the rooms.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 RainCityGirl said:

6,000 hand sewn pearls. I'm assuming they were freshwater pearls, but still valuable. Somebody's head will roll at that hotel.

The article stated the pearls were Akoyas.

Respected Contributor

On 2/26/2015 RainCityGirl said:

I'm not a dressmaker, so don't know for sure, but don't the pearls have holes drilled in them in order to be sewn onto the fabric?

The holes would make them pretty useless for jewelry.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Esteemed Contributor

Wouldn't a pearl necklace have holes drilled in them for the string to pass through???

Super Contributor

Why should a hotel's staff member's head roll because she lost the dress? It's not up to the hotel to provide her with security. She was entrusted with that dress by the designer, not the hotel. She should have had a guard watching her room.

Honored Contributor

I've used hotel safes for jewelry, but that dress would have needed a pretty large compartment.

I wonder if upscale hotels have large space safes?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices