Trusted Contributor

How can I increase the volume on my desktop computer?

I have the volume turned all the way up, and I can barely hear anything on it. I am trying to watch some youtube videos. Can I get some sort of speakers that will help? Any suggestions?

Trusted Contributor

Re: How can I increase the volume on my desktop computer?

When that has happened to me while watching youtube, logging off & back on worked for me.

You might try resetting your volume in the Control Panel - If you have Windows, go to Start button in lower left corner, Settings, Control Panel, Sounds & Audio Devices, & move the bar just a little bit higher. Then log off & log on again.

Respected Contributor

I have the same problem on my laptop and all my setting seem ok.

When watching a video there is also a "volume" control....make sure that is set to high. Even when I do that, the volume is sometimes very low. I don't get it. It happens on the videos right here on QVC too.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Sue, check the volume on the youtube video its self- it might not be the volume on your laptop. That has happened to me before.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I agree, check the volume on the video.

Respected Contributor

sue98.....if you have headphones such as the ones that came with your smartphone or regular cell phone, the jack will fit into your computer's port for headphones....you might have to look at your user manual to find it. (it's not the usb port). Beware though and turn the volume down first because while you have it up all the way now, it will blast your eardrums.

eta: in answer to your question, yes you can buy external speakers and also plug them into either the usb port or the port for earphones.....you'd have to look at the receptacle and see where it fits.

Respected Contributor

I've always connected external speakers with my desktop computers. You can get speakers with a subwoofer for $30-$40.

Super Contributor

As others have posted, sometimes the things that you are viewing from on the computer has its own volume control. Move your mouse around, usually towards the bottom of the screen (of the site that you are watching whatever from). You may see some sort of menu bar appear, and on that will be controls that you can click on with your mouse. Might see something like a pause icon on the left side of that menu bar, then volume controls are on the right hand side.

Trusted Contributor

Do you have a little speaker icon on the right side of your taskbar? Click on it and try adjusting from there.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much to all of you for your helpful suggestions. I should have added that I have my volume turned up all the way on my keyboard, and I have turned the volume up all the way on the videos I am trying to watch.

I think the problem is the speakers themselves on my monitor. No matter what I do, the volume is just not loud enough. Thanks again!