Honored Contributor

I just read an interesting article about all the classic "American" cars in Cuba. It turns out they are - for the most part - not American cars under the surface anymore. Since American car parts are not available there they are greatly German or japanese engines and drive trains. They must have some amazing mechanics down there who can retrofit different parts into those cars.

I bet the American car companies are really chomping at the bit to be able to start exporting new cars there. Wait til those Cubans find out how much more krapy new cars are in comparison to the ones they have.

Respected Contributor

It's funny watching footage of Cuba, as it's like travelling back in time to the 1950s. It's kind of cool, though.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor
On 2/19/2015 Topaz Gem said:

It's funny watching footage of Cuba, as it's like travelling back in time to the 1950s. It's kind of cool, though.

It is so awesome to see the streets in Cuba. You feel like you are in a different time. I did wonder, just how long it will be before new cars get in, and all those great old cars are gone. I have to wonder if some American entrepreneur is figuring out a way to get those oldies bought up and 'brought home'!

Respected Contributor

Despite what's new under the hood, & other areas of those cars, there are lots of collectors chomping on the bit to pay top dollar for those vintage auto bodies.

Trusted Contributor

There was an article in our paper yesterday stating two things that were not going to be allowed to be imported to the US - cigars and those old cars.

Respected Contributor
On 2/19/2015 Chlemma said:

There was an article in our paper yesterday stating two things that were not going to be allowed to be imported to the US - cigars and those old cars.

I bet a lot of people will be bummed out to hear this. Because of the climate in Cuba (i.e. no snow!), the paint jobs on those old cars are no doubt still in pristine condition, and there's probably no body rot or rust.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

I heard a limited number of cigars per person could be taken out of Cuba. Probably something like the limited amount of liquor tourists can take from Tijuana, I think. There's already a black market for Cuban cigars anyway, isn't there?

Honored Contributor

My daughter is a photographer and I would love to send her to Cuba! I've always loved the pix of old cars and the elderly jazz musicians there still playing their music.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor
Topaz, Cuba is tropical and has frequent hurricanes. It is hot hot hot and you sweat sweat sweat!
Honored Contributor
On 2/19/2015 Topaz Gem said:

I bet a lot of people will be bummed out to hear this. Because of the climate in Cuba (i.e. no snow!), the paint jobs on those old cars are no doubt still in pristine condition, and there's probably no body rot or rust.

I think it's because they are considered treasures. A lot of time is spent keeping them up and repainting them, TG. It's a popular hobby there, and they show the cars they've fixed up.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices