Super Contributor

I'm sitting here at my laptop and eating hot air popcorn. Not hungry; just shoveling it in and I'm sure bits and pieces are going into computer.

I'm not overweight; okay, maybe 10 lbs. or so. My question is do you only eat when hungry or just use food because it is there, bored or whatever?

Honored Contributor

Before I started dropping a few pounds, I ate when I was bored. Since I cleared the kitchen of junk food, I eat a diet in the portions prescribed by my dietician.

Honored Contributor
I eat for reasons other than hunger, but not buying snacks takes care of that.
Valued Contributor

My worst time of day to snack relentlessly is night. somewhere around 10:00 and midnight. I've stopped that

Respected Contributor
I blame my hormones LOL I crave salt all the time Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

Has everyone heard of the Mindful Movement?

It's slowing down and taking the time to really perceive what you're doing. Walking, listening to music, etc.

Mindful eating is also big. Slow down to take the time to experience chewing and tasting. There's even a book out about it, and there are online sites explaining it.

This site seems to have a pretty good explanation:

http://amihungry.com/what-is-mindful-eating/

How does mindful eating help solve eating issues?

Many people who struggle with food react mindlessly to their unrecognized or unexamined triggers, thoughts, and feelings. In other words, they re-act-repeating past actions again and again-feeling powerless to change. Mindfulness increases your awareness of these patterns without judgment and creates space between your triggers and your actions.

For example, whenever you notice that you feel like eating and pause to ask the question, “Am I hungry?”, you are able to observe your thoughts and choose how you will respond. Instead of reacting mindlessly, mindfulness gives you response-ability. That is how mindful eating empowers you to finally break old automatic or habitual chain reactions and discover options that work better for you.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

I am in snowbound country... need I say more. Have been eating as if I will never get out again. Serenna I too crave salt. Am thinking of putting a large salt lick in my home!!

Respected Contributor
Juneau, that's a great idea Smiley Happy I've lost 52 lbs and have maintained it for over a year. But when I crave and eat salt I feel like I gained it back in minutes!
Respected Contributor
Sorry I couldn't edit.. your name......Junebug!
Trusted Contributor
I joined WW over 7 years ago. It is something I struggle with all the time. Getting rid of all junk food helps. I like carrots or cut up some apples. Also drink lots of water.