Super Contributor

someone stole our son's SSN to use on their taxes!!!

we were notified by our accountant today! when our return was done and efiled it was rejected and came back with the notice that someone had already filed a return claiming our son and his SSN! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.mad} unfreakingbelievable!!

Honored Contributor

Re: someone stole our son's SSN to use on their taxes!!!

I live in fear of this...horrible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Trusted Contributor

I am really sorry to hear this! That's terrible.

Super Contributor

it is croemer! i was always concerned about ours - not his. he doesn't even know it himself and we rarely have to use it for anything outside of school and only at registration then. there is no telling where they lifted it from!

Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 northernlights said:

I am really sorry to hear this! That's terrible. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

thank you northernlights. i just hope this will not turn into a bigger nightmare as we try to get this all worked out.

Esteemed Contributor

My SSN was also taken. Have to go and straighten things out.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

A nightmare coming to real life. I am so sorry this happened to your son.

I know a gal who moved from Indiana to Illinois. Before she changed her driver's license, she had a state I.D. that got lifted from a bar she was in. It was horrible to have her identity stolen. The woman who stole it, bought furniture and took out loans. It took her 2 years to finally get her good credit rating back as well as a lot of detective work on her own.

Frequent Contributor

It shouldn't be too hard to trace. Esp on a tax return.
Super Contributor

we immediately went and checked all 3 credit reporting agencies - nothing came up for him thank goodness at this point. he is only 17 and it would be awful that someone is out there ruining his name and credit and he has not even gotten out of HS yet! i will keep checking as often as i can!

i am not sure what the process is with the IRS but i am so not looking foward to it!

Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 SStar said: It shouldn't be too hard to trace. Esp on a tax return.

DH just said that first we have to mail our return in. then when we they come across the problem again we will be contacted and have to provide proof that he is our son and that is his SS# and that the other person will have to do the same. they won't be able to of course. and they will have to pay back whatever money they lied to get from the IRS. they should have to pay ours for us,too!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}