Super Contributor

Would you ever sue your son or daughter?

I watched Judge Judy this evening and she had another case of a mother suing her son for damages he did to a property she rented to him, and he didn't think he should have to pay for the repairs. Much of what she claimed were damages was actually just that he lived like a pig, but if she raised him, she probably knew his living habits before she rented to him. It made me sad because it seems JJ has so many cases of parents taking their children to court, and vice versa. I think it's unfortunate that those families cannot resolve their conflicts without resorting to suing. Is the money worth the damage to the relationship? I know there are extreme cases, and some families have strained relationships, but I think it would have to be really bad for me to consider suing my child. The odd thing is that when interviewed after the case, some say they hope to put it behind them and continue their relationship. How does that work without any resentment? So, I'm curious would you ever (or have you ever) sue your child?

Respected Contributor

Re: Would you ever sue your son or daughter?

I would never sue my child, but as far as JJ goes, the parent gets her money, and the child didn't have to pay a cent.
Honored Contributor

No.
Super Contributor

If they are adults...and did me wrong...YES!
Honored Contributor

Never. No matter what.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

no

Honored Contributor

If I had no other option ... yes. Insurance on the property may be a reason. I would hope that it would never come to that, but every action has a reaction.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

No
Super Contributor

On 1/29/2015 NoelSeven said:

Never. No matter what.

That's how I feel too. I don't think any amount of $$$$ is worth ruining a relationship between parent and child... but I suppose for some people there are issues that ruined that bond before they ever go to court.

Respected Contributor

I don't like the thought of family suing each other. I wonder if the mother was at her wits end and filed a complaint.

JJ's staff goes through small claims court cases across the country and finds what might make interesting tv. They first contact the plaintiff and ask if they want to be on the show. Then if both sides agree and the plaintiff wins the show pays the judgement. The defendant pays nothing. So if one looks at it from a pure financial stand point JJ is a win-win because there's no wage garnishment or delays in payment. But the judgement is recorded like normal court cases. Plus the show pays for travel and lodging.

Suing children might make good tv. This may be why JJ seems to feature these type of cases.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____