Valued Contributor

Alaskan cruise...June or September?

I want to plan an Alaskan cruise and land tour. I am thinking about an economy time. What are your thoughts about going in June or Sept? Please let me know of your experiences.

Honored Contributor

Re: Alaskan cruise...June or September?

The one I took was in the beginning of September. But my motive was more about weather. I don't like hot or warm weather so it was perfect for me. Just enough to wear long sleeves and sometimes, like the day we spent in Glacier Bay (hope that's not gone), coats.

Not sure about the 'economy' thing, though. You can get prices from the cruise line for different times of year.

Super Contributor

June was still pretty chilly. Not cold but not a lot of activity at the pool or other outdoor activities. Kinda chilly on our whale watching tour. Small boat, 8 people, not BIG huge whale watching boat. Float plane excursion, stopped on a lake, pretty chilly when we got out to look around. This was last half of June.

Respected Contributor

June is after Memorial Day so prices rise. Good news is everything is open. Still cool, probably rain so need a coat of some type.

September is after Labor Day so some things may have reduced hours and winter prices may be in effect. Are you talking cruise on inside passage?

Trusted Contributor

We went in September and enjoyed every minute. We did have light rain now and then, and "lounging" on the open decks wasn't comfortable because of the cool air. But I'm not a hot weather fan, so it was fine with me. I was okay dealing with a little rain and lovely cool days that required a jacket.

I was miserable for much of our Panama Canal cruise (in late Sept) due to the humidity and heat.

I'm sure your cruise to Alaska will be wonderful, not matter when you choose to go. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I went in August...not as many kids as early summer. I would also think Sept would be cheaper?

Honored Contributor

My parents went to Alaska years ago in Sept. They had beautiful weather and a beautiful time!

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

If you plan on doing any shopping the last cruise of the season is best. Many stores and the ship are clearing out merchandise at significantly reduced prices. I've gotten some of my best Alaska bargains on the last cruise of the season. I've also found that September weather is usually really nice for whatever activity you have in mind.

Honored Contributor

I live in the PNW and would choose the September sailing over June's.

Esteemed Contributor

We took the last Alaska tour of the season one year (repositioning) it was 2 weeks every day beautiful and we even were surrounded by a pod of 200 whales at one point. This was one of the most memorable cruises of the many we have taken. We always travel at the end of the season wherever we go.