Respected Contributor

Yes folks, doctors do go on strike.

From today.

CBS affiliate News 8 in San Diego:

UCSD Doctors join one-day, statewide strike

LA JOLLA (CNS) - Doctors at University of California student health centers, including one at UC San Diego, are holding a one-day strike on Tuesday to protest what they call unfair labor practices.

Organizers said the walkout will mark the first time in 25 years that fully licensed doctors have gone on strike against a U.S. employer.

It will also be the first strike in the 43-year history of the Union of American Physicians and Dentists, according to the labor organization.

"Obviously, we're disappointed that the union has chosen to go on strike," said Shelly Meron, a spokeswoman for the UC president's office.

The UAPD said doctors at the student health clinics unionized in 2013 and have been in negotiations on their first contract for over a year, during which they've filed multiple unfair labor practice charges against the UC system for what they consider to be illegal behavior at the bargaining table.

A "strike is the only way to compel UC to follow the laws that govern bargaining," said UAPD President Dr. Stuart Bussey. "Unfortunately, UC has a history of disrespecting workers during negotiations, and we're no exception to that."

At UCSD, picketing is scheduled to begin at 7:30 a.m. on the Library Walk near the Geisel Library.

Meron said UC officials made preparations to have medical personnel at the student health clinics, though some routine, non-emergency appointments might have to be rescheduled.

"We think the best way to reach a resolution is at the bargaining table, not the picket line," Meron said.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Re: Yes folks, doctors do go on strike.

They should be fired for deserting their patients. Theirs is an essential job, and they should not strike. There needs to another way for them to press their case, as they probably have something to complain about.

Respected Contributor

Here we go...

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Melania2 said:

Here we go...

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

What specifically are the unfair labor practices and what constitutes the members being treated disrespectfully???

Respected Contributor

I had no idea physicians were unionized, anywhere.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Ms X said:

They should be fired for deserting their patients. Theirs is an essential job, and they should not strike. There needs to another way for them to press their case, as they probably have something to complain about.

I don't think student health clinics are all that ESSENTIAL. I'm sure San Diego has many open emergency rooms if anyone needed urgent care.

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Peaches McPhee said:

Me either. But these days many doctors are just employees - the days of private practice are fast disappearing.

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 happy housewife said:
On 1/27/2015 Ms X said:

I don't think student health clinics are all that ESSENTIAL. I'm sure San Diego has many open emergency rooms if anyone needed urgent care.

Yes, they could go to the emergency room, but doctors should not walk off the job and abandon their patients even if they can go elsewhere.

Weren't you a nurse? Perhaps I'm confusing you with another poster. That's an incredibly difficult job, and I've always respected those who could do it. If you were a nurse, how do you view the doctors' behavior from a professional standpoint?

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Peaches McPhee said:

The first union around here (that I know of) to include MDs and other health professionals began in Alameda county more than 40 years ago.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices