Respected Contributor

Best Place To Live In South Carolina

We will be retiring in a few years and would like to live in SC, if anyone lives there where would be the best place to live for retired people. I now live in Mass and can't wait to leave the snow!

Valued Contributor

Re: Best Place To Live In South Carolina

I love Charleston!

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Respected Contributor

My ex is in Murrells (sp?) Inlet....seems to like it there.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

Check out my adopted hometown Aiken, SC...just two hours from Atlanta and one hour from Columbia, SC...small town atmosphere...pretty little downtown...The Willcox Inn was voted one of the best small hotels in the country....it's also quite cosmoplitan for a small town - there is one over 55 community, I believe and several beautiful golf course communities. If you want a smaller town, you can't go wrong with Aiken.

City of Aiken Tourism Division

visitorscenter@cityofaikensc.gov

1-888-AikenSC or 803-293-7846

Our Partners:

www.downtownaiken.com

www.aikencountysc.gov/tourism

www.tbredcountry.org

www.cityofaikensc.gov

www.aikencountysc.gov

www.sciway.net/city/aiken.html

www.ecalendaraiken.com

Respected Contributor

Aiken is very popular with retirees...it also has good medical facilities, and is very close to Augusta, GA, home of 4 major hospitals and a medical college. North Augusta, SC is a good place to live (it's where I grew up). Easy access to all of those medical facilites, shopping, etc.

If you want "acreage", you might try Edgefield County, where I currently live. Wouldn't necessarily recommend the medical facilities but we are within easy striking distance of both the Aiken hospital and Augusta, GA medical complexes. You would want to be (I think) in the area between North Augusta and the town of Edgefield.

Our climate here is pretty good, though it can get hot/humid in the summer. We get occasional snow--the most ever was 14 inches and that was in 1973! Usually it's 3 inches or less. Even more rarely we get an ice storm...but we did have a doozy of one last year.

Two-three hours driving north or south gets you to the mountains or the beach.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Esteemed Contributor

We lived in a few SC locations for years. I would stick to the coastal communities or the larger cities, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg, Charleston. Many small towns in SC feel very remote and different in many ways, may be too much of a cultural difference coming from Mass.

Respected Contributor

I hope when I retire, that I can afford to keep a small place up north, as I would never want to leave everything behind forever. I really want to be a snowbird if I leave this area at all. Go somewhere warmer from January through March then head right back here.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Bluffton area, outside of Hilton Head.

Super Contributor

Charleston!
Respected Contributor

Charleston is on my bucket list of places to visit some day as well as Savannah, GA. I understand those areas are considered historical and I love American history. Can't wait!
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James