Esteemed Contributor

Collectibles that are totally worthless

According to a web site called "The Street" which concerns itself with all things financial.here is a list of collectibles that are now virtually worthless starting with the most worthless: 1. Thomas Kinkade Art 2. Precious Moments Figures 3. Norman Rockwell Plates 4. Beanie Babies 5. Hot Wheels 6. happy Meal Toys 7. Trading Cards 8. cabbage Patch Dolls 9. Franklin Mint Collectibles 10. marbles 11. DVD's and CD's 12. Hess Trucks 13. POGS ???? Here's hoping none of you bought any of these things to make money on them.
Honored Contributor

Re: Collectibles that are totally worthless

I've never gotten into buying something with the intention of selling it. That's just not the way I operate. I buy what I like for myself. If down the road I desire to sell something I've purchased and I make money, great.

I got into Longaberger Baskets in the 90's. Back then, they were highly collectible and when I sold some of them because I was just overrun with baskets, I always sold them for a lot more than I purchased them for. Now, you can barely give them away.

Respected Contributor

I think a lot more things could be added to that list. I don't really know but I'll say Boyd's bears and remember capodimonte from Hsn and all the dolls and the one host on hsn saying it's a breather.

I had to to look up POGs

Pogs is a game that was popularized during the early 1990s. The game is played using discs which are also called "pogs". The name originates from POG, a brand of juice made from passionfruit, orange and guava; the use of the POG bottle caps to play the game pre-dated the game's commercialization.

Respected Contributor

I think a lot of things can be added to that list also. I dont really know why I started getting into collectibles, dont really can about them, but now, as I want to get rid of stuff they are not worth anything and it is heartbreaking in a way. I wish I sold them when the going was good. Who knew. I never bought them because I thought they would be worth big money either, but, I did think they would be worth something.
Honored Contributor

Let's add Hummel figures to the list. I have several, but not a huge amount. I have them in a curio cabinet so they're "contained"-LOL. I fight the temptation to box them up and give them to Goodwill. I'm not interested in them and I know that if I try to sell them, I won't get anything.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

Nope, I have never been a collector of junk and that is what most collectibles are.

Respected Contributor

I forgot my hang on the wall cat plates. I only have a couple but they are still in the cupboard.

Honored Contributor

I do have some Beanie Babies - never considered them as a 'collectible' but just because they're cute. Smiley Happy

I never cared for the Kinkade stuff. It just looked like troll houses to me and the cutsie kid stuff like Hummels, Precious Moments, etc, were not to my taste. I just like cutsie animal stuff. hehe

I do have some Rockwell christmas ornaments that I wish I could sell. They cost around $200 each at the time. Still each one is in their little box (somewhere out in my garage in another box) but I don't decorate for christmas anymore so I haven't used them in eons. They are quite heavy porcelain and very pretty - I guess...for what they are, anyway.

Honored Contributor

My mother has hundreds of dollars in stuff that you listed. She bought it thinking it would be worth more later. I tried to tell her, but now she can't even sell them at a little thrift shop for a fraction of what she paid. The ones I bought, I bought because I wanted them, liked them, and displayed them. Never planned on resale.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I have a number of collectibles. They were purchased strictly for my pleasure not as investments. Many of them were gifts.

I have a boatload of Belleek, as well as Lladros and Hummels. I've begun giving pieces away to friends and relatives that have admired specific pieces. I'd rather have someone enjoy them while I am alive as opposed to someone junking them after I die, never knowing the stories behind each piece.