Respected Contributor

Retirement Concerning Dental And Vision

I am planning to retire in 3 years but after retirement i will no longer have dental and vision care benefits so I will have to pay for this out of my own pocket. Are there dental and vision plans that will offer deals for retired people?

Respected Contributor

Re: Retirement Concerning Dental And Vision

will you be eligible for medicare? most insurance co. have dental and vision additions to reg. medical ins. It all gets pricey and you need to think about how much you spend on dental and vision per year vs. the premiums and deductibles.

you could always try insurance without those two things and see how it goes. Then you can pick up coverage, the following year if you think it would be better for you.

Trusted Contributor

I have seen one advertised on TV but for the life of me can't remember the name. The AARP has dental plans for retirees too. Try to Google it and maybe that will help.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

When we moved to Florida my DH joined the Elks - they offer dental plans at group rates to their members. As for vision - our advantage plan offers a yearly eye checkup but you have to pay for your glasses out of pocket. Also , if you have a vision illness they pay for your care same as any other illness - for instance my DH has pressure in his eye and they pay for his eye drops and since medicare pays for cataract surgery they pay for that as well. when choosing a supplement/advantage plan one should look for a plan that offers at least some coverage on vision & dental. Esp dental as it quickly can get very expensive. And, yes, AARP does offer dental ins at a group rate.

Super Contributor

I retired very early (late 40's) and therefore private pay for my medical insurance as I didn't qualify for retiree medical benefits. I see an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist for my eyes, so those visits are covered by insurance. Glasses aren't, but the place I get them gives a 30% discount for AARP membership. I researched private pay dental plans extensively and found that they provide very little in the way of benefits. Most had a maximum yearly benefit cap of $1500. I've been with my dentist since he started in practice and was able to negotiate a discount for paying cash. The upside is that all of those out of pocket expenses are deductible, depending on your tax situation. It works well for me, but may not be right for anyone else.

Honored Contributor

The issue with not having dental insurance is - the insurance co negotiates a lower price and even if the procedure you are having done is not covered - you will get the lower price on it that has been negotiated by your ins co. When you are cash pay - you have to pay the full amount. Also , when you have insurance paying for a procedure they require the dentist send in proof - such as x rays - to prove you need that procedure before they will approve it. If you do not have insurance you just have to believe the dentist - and around here the dentists are pretty dishonest. Everyone you talk to down here has stories of being ripped off by a dentist.

Honored Contributor

There are lots of dental and vision plans for people who don't get them through work.

My company has one that is about $18 a month and covers 2 cleanings, Xrays and up to $1,000 of other work a year.

My dentist also has a private insurance plan for his patients - it covers the same for $228 a year and is an unlimited 50% off all fillings, crowns, etc. You have to pay for the whole year at one time.

Most insurance companies that offer Medicare Advantage, medi-gap plans, etc. also offer stand alone dental and or vision.

Honored Contributor

I have a stand-alone dental plan because over the years, I've had several implants, etc. Right now, things seem stable (thankfully), so I just about break even between my reimbursements and my premiums. Since I never know when I'll need something major done, I continue with the insurance. I don't have vision insurance. Medicare covers my annual exam, but anything beyond that (including refractions and glasses) I pay out of pocket.

Esteemed Contributor

I have Kaiser HMO, but do not care for the dental or vision, so I pay out of pocket. Last year because of you know who care program , can,t say name on post, I was able to get vision from VSP for a very low monthly premium. Going to dentist this AM to the tune of 1320.00, but have CARE CREDIT. A medical CC where you pay monthly for a certain length of time with no interest. It helps me keep my excellent Dentist, and not take the amount out of savings. It also works a some vets offices for your pet.
Honored Contributor

I belong to a discount dental plan that costs me $75 per year. I just had the whole top of my mouth redone with new bridges for 50% to 75% discount from the dentist's normal fees. It has to be a dentist who also belongs to this plan. I found mine listed under www.1dental.com/provider and I chose the Careington 500 dental plan. Some plans also include vision. They are not insurance companies. They do not pay the dentist. The dentist charges you the discounted rate and you pay him/her. Also no limit as to how much work you need done, no matter the fee. Most insurance companies limit one to about $1,000 to $1,500 a year that they will pay.

Also the site gives you the ability to enter your zip code and they will provide you with a list of dentists in your area who belong to the plan. You may be surprised that your very own dentist is on this list, but just does not disclose it unless you ask.

No scam, all legit, unbelievable savings, and excellent work.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986