Esteemed Contributor

Stay home and off the roads they say, yeah ok.

All the weather peeps on every channel are saying stay off the roads and stay inside for the next two days. Even politicians are on tv saying stay off the roads.

This gets me every time the deep snow comes. Because employers don't get this memo!

My husband is a boss and MUST work Monday. In fact if the 2nd shift employees at his job don't show (and they probably wont) he will have to stay into evening. (I am hoping he can get off Tuesday which may be worse).

My son has to work, (already went to stay with his dad so he is closer to work), my daughter and son in law HAVE TO work.

So no, they cant sit home and count snowflakes because employers do not close companies!

Personally I think more things should shut down with the snow that's coming and only people who clear roads, people who work at hospitals, and emergency type workers should work. But that isn't how it is now is it?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Stay home and off the roads they say, yeah ok.

This afternoon I was talking to my friend who is a nurse and has to be there tomorrow. She is afraid to drive in a lot of snow so she went to work this afternoon and will stay all night. She has requested an on call room to sleep in, but if she doesn't get one she will sleep in a recliner chair. That is a mature and responsible employee.

Honored Contributor

Aren't the snowplows supposed to be running?

Honored Contributor

most of the time in our area they say "if you dont HAVE to be on the roads then stay home." i dont mind when they say it.....it is safer for all that way if you CAN stay home. luckily, we have a business where we dont have to open if there is dangerous weather. my daughter has to go in to her work because it is a health care facility, but my ex is taking her so she doesnt have to drive herself.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I agree w/ the OP. We live in Michigan and it is a problem getting out when we have a snow storm. Most of the time the snowplows can't even keep up w/it. And major roads are done first.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Snowplows can't keep up with heavy and blowing snow. These big storms shut down roads for days sometimes.

Respected Contributor

I am working from home but my DD has to go into work as well. My office is open and it is left up to the individual to decide. But we all work off of lap tops and tablets so that is a no brainer. I am sure tomorrow a lot of places here in NJ will be closed.

Honored Contributor

Just stay off the roads. If you don't have to go out, stay off the roads. It's dangerous. It allows the snow plows and other emergency services people to do their jobs.

Esteemed Contributor

We're open today (I'm in NYC) because we ship the April issue of the magazine I edit this week; it has to be done. Period. I expect many who live in CT or NJ will stay home or leave mid-day.

Things is after so many windups over the years, it get easier each time they ring the alarms to ignore it.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Where do you live? It must not be where there is a lot of snow.