Respected Contributor

ISIS claims to have executed one of the Japanese hostages.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

TOKYO, Jan 25 (Reuters) - Japan early on Sunday strongly criticised a recording purporting to announce the execution of a Japanese citizen held by Islamic State militants and demanded the immediate release of another captive depicted as appearing on the image.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, in a brief televised statement, said the recording appeared to show captive Haruna Yukawa being killed.

"This is an outrageous and unacceptable act," Suga said. "We strongly demand the prompt release of the remaining Mr. Kenji Goto, without harm."

Suga read the statement and declined to take questions. (Reporting by William Mallard, editing by David Evans)

Respected Contributor

Re: ISIS claims to have executed one of the Japanese hostages.

CNN)One of ISIS' two Japanese hostages has been killed after a deadline for ransom passed, and the terror group has issued a new demand for the other's freedom -- a prisoner exchange -- a video posted online Saturday by a known ISIS supporter purports to show.

The video appears to show a static image of surviving Japanese hostage Kenji Goto, dressed in orange, holding a photo of what appears to be beheaded compatriot Haruna Yukawa.

The posting came four days after an ISIS video demanded that the Japanese government pay $200 million within 72 hours for the hostages' release.

On Saturday's video, a man's voice claiming to Goto's says Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is to blame for Yukawa's death.

"You were given a deadline, so my captives acted upon their words," he says.

The voice then relays ISIS' new demand -- the release of Sajida Rishawi, a woman that he says is being held by Jordanian authorities.

"They no longer want money, so you don't need to worry about funding terrorists," the voice says in English. "They just demand the release of their imprisoned sister Sajida Rishawi.

"It is simple. You give them Sajida, and I will be released. ... Again, I would like to stress how easy it is to save my life. You bring them their sister from the Jordanian regime, and I will be released immediately -- me for her."

Some doubt the authenticity of this video as it does not have the group's imbedded logo nor the slick production value of the earlier videos.

Super Contributor

Golda Meir always maintained that you do NOT bargain with terrorists under any circumstances. I have to agree with her. It only sets precedent for the next hostage taking. People go into these dangerous areas knowing full well they are putting their lives at risk. Sorry that I sound harsh, but that's how I see it. Any amount of money handed over to these villains will only go to pay for more executions, bombings, etc. In addition, there is no guarantee that the hostages won't be executed anyway.

Respected Contributor

Uh anyway...

I'm sorry to hear this. May he RIP.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

ISIS is doing a great job getting the entire world against them, one country at a time. It's not just America's problem any longer. Now all we have to do is mobilize as one entity and get rid of these guys once and for all. The only problem is that I don't see any politician in any country that has the necessary leadership skills to get the job done. Today is the 50th anniversary of Winston Churchill's death, and it's glaringly obvious that we don't make leaders like that anymore. Hopefully someone will emerge before it's too late.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

A faction whose goal is to rule the world in their own way doesn't care if a world full of infidels are against them. I think Sweden has the right idea. It's time to close our borders to people coming from terrorist nations. Why invite people into our country who will not refute terrorists acts? In some ways, our country is importing poverty -- in other ways, we're importing fear and terror. Time to wake up -- even if these views are not 'politically correct.' Disturbing. Sad for my grown children and grandchildren.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

On 1/24/2015 RainCityGirl said:

Golda Meir always maintained that you do NOT bargain with terrorists under any circumstances. I have to agree with her. It only sets precedent for the next hostage taking. People go into these dangerous areas knowing full well they are putting their lives at risk. Sorry that I sound harsh, but that's how I see it. Any amount of money handed over to these villains will only go to pay for more executions, bombings, etc. In addition, there is no guarantee that the hostages won't be executed anyway.

My dh believes that as well...no one made them go there. They know the dangers and the risks. They made the choice.

Valued Contributor

oh well, so much for a discussion.

may his memory be a blessing to all who knew and loved him.

rest in peace Haruna Yukawa, your life had meaning and you will be greatly missed.

From Homeless in Japan to Hostage in Syria: How Haruna Yukawa Ended Up in a Warzone

When Haruna Yukawa was captured in Syria earlier this month, a video apparently released by his captors showed them pressing the Japanese man to answer questions friends say he had struggled with for years: Who are you? Why are you here?

In fact, Yukawa, 42, had first traveled to Aleppo four months earlier on what amounted to a hardship course in self-discovery, according to people who know him and his account.

Changes in Yukawa's life in suburban Tokyo had been fast and disorienting. Over the past decade, he had lost his wife to lung cancer, lost a business and his house to bankruptcy and been forced to live in a public park for almost a month, according to Yukawa's father and an online journal he maintained.

http://www.newsweek.com/homeless-japan-hostage-syria-how-haruna-yukawa-ended-warzone-267024

poor man, was truly suffering from mental illness.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Super Contributor

Thank you, Evelomaddict.

Sad story, may he R.I.P. Hopefully his wife was waiting for him.

Why he went there is beyond me. There are so many other locations in this world to find yourself. Why he chose this h e ll hole no one will ever know.

Respected Contributor

Evelomaddict, thank you for posting Yukawa's story. I thought both of the men were journalists, which would explain why they would go to such a place. It's so sad that he was seeking to make some sense of his life amidst all that pain he went through in Japan. May he rest in peace.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James